Voted: Australia’s best ski resorts and ski hotels
The results are in.
Luxury Travel Magazine has completed its 2017 Gold List Awards, and thousands of Australians have cast their votes to name the country's best ski resort, and best ski property. With Australia having a much more compact skiing scene than other countries, the competition is always fierce and familiar faces compete for the top spots year after year.
The competition naturally goes past awards too, and there are always plenty of snow deals and discounts for those who care to look, as businesses look to fill up for winter.
Best Australian ski resort 2017
Thredbo was the winner for the 9th consecutive year. It may not have the sheer size of its competitors, but it seems there's no substitute for quality, both on the mountain and in Thredbo Village. In order, the top five are:
- Falls Creek
- Mt Hotham
- Mt Buller
- Find out more: Stats, guides and more information on each of the winners can be found here.
Best Australian ski hotels 2017
Thredbo accommodation was also heavily represented in the best Australian ski properties, but the number one place for five consecutive years now was QT Falls Creek.
The top five were:
- QT Falls Creek
- Thredbo Alpine Hotel
- Ski in Ski Out Chalets, Thredbo
- The Denman Hotel, Thredbo
- Mt Buller Chalet Hotel & Suites
- Tour the QT: 500+ guest reviews, dozens of photos, as well as features, ratings, prices and bookings.
One of the features shared by all the winners is that they're in or around the resorts themselves, and it seems that convenience is a truly irreplaceable feature. On-slope or village accommodation always attracts premium prices however, and not everyone will find it worth it, especially when accommodation is so much more affordable just half an hour away.
QT Falls Creek: About the winner
Sporting a range of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom accommodation, and suites, QT Falls Creek is designed to have something for everyone without sacrificing quality.
The phrase "uncompromising" is thrown around a lot, but QT Falls Creek actually follows through by making sure every single room has a lot to recommend it. Each room grants generous views and has its own private balcony, overlooking your choice of valley, mountains or the ski fields themselves.
Distinctly, most of these balconies feature hot tubs, so you'll really be able to enjoy the sights and actually use the balcony. The luxurious decor meanwhile continues throughout the facilities, extending even to the well-appointed spa, sauna, gym and pool.
Falls Creek bristles with accommodation options ranging from the budget to the gorgeous, so taking away first place isn't an easy task. Doing it five years in a row, however, is truly remarkable.
- Binance Venus, the Fourth Industrial Revolution and empowering the bottom billion
- Opinion: Australia cash limit bill moves to hit cryptocurrency, despite bad maths
- Recruit Holdings, a $50 billion tech company, makes strategic investment in Blockstack
- Small businesses asked MYOB for Bunnings, and they got it
- Beauty product of the week: ColourPop No Filter Matte Concealer