Do you want access to convenient spending worldwide and VIP perks? A Visa Gold Card could be for you.
Visa Gold credit cardholders have access to a large range of perks and benefits, including exclusive offers, discounts and experiences that aren't available anywhere else. No matter which bank or credit union you're with, the perks that come with your Visa Gold card will be the same. However, some of the benefits you'll receive from the individual banks may differ slightly. Some of the benefits you can look forward to thanks to Visa include complimentary insurance, discounts on products, access to exclusive concierge services and earning as you spend with rewards programs.
What perks can I look forward to with a Visa Gold card?
Visa Gold cards offer cardholders a variety of perks and benefits. Here are just some of the features you can look forward to:
- Visa Gold dining discounts
You may also find discounts and benefits available at a range of participating restaurants and chains around the world. Simply pay for your meal using your Visa Gold card and you could receive a discount off your bill right away. The actual discount amounts will vary and the participating restaurants may change from time to time, so make sure you take note of where you can grab exclusive discounts to make the most of your card.
- Visa Gold lifestyle
Visa Gold lifestyle allows cardholders to take advantage of their gold card perks around the world. Wherever you're headed, check out what discounts are available for lifestyle experiences, attractions and events that may be of interest to you. Some of these perks could include discounted entry fee into world-class golf clubs, resorts, spas, fitness centres, aquariums to name a few.
Take your gold card shopping with you and you may be able to take advantage of generous discounts on a range of retail products, boutiques and outlets, including world-class brand name items. Get discounts on the finest fashion, exquisite jewellery and designer labels when you're a premium cardholder.
- Visa exclusives
Your Visa Gold card entitles you to a diverse range of exclusive offers that are reserved for premium cardholders. These include access to the HotelClub, where you can receive an additional 15% off any offers you already receive.
You can also benefit from up to 35% off the usual membership fee to the Priority Pass program. This membership lets you take advantage of VIP treatment at more than 600 airport VIP lounges in more than 100 countries. Enjoy complimentary refreshments and snacks, as well as having access to an internet connection—no matter what seating class you booked your flight tickets in.
- Visa Entertainment
Being a Visa Gold cardholder entitles you to membership with Visa Entertainment. You get access to exclusive pre-sale tickets to a variety of events, including movies, theatre, concerts, sporting events, lifestyle experiences and lots more. You can even book prime seats before the tickets become available to the general public.
The entertainment discounts and offers change regularly, so sign up to be notified of new opportunities to take full advantage of your membership.
- Visa Global Customer Assistance Services
No matter where you are in the world, you can always access this service. Call at any time of the day or night to report that you've lost or stolen your card and the people at Visa Gold will strive to get an emergency card replacement out to you within 24 hours. You may also be eligible to get an emergency cash disbursement sent directly to a bank near to wherever you are to help you cover costs until your new card arrives.
There's also access to medical and legal referral services for wherever you are in the world in case you find yourself in a tricky situation.
- Individual Visa Gold offers
Before you sign up for a Visa Gold credit card, take the time to compare the various offers available from individual credit card providers. Some will offer additional perks and benefits than the ones listed above. Others may also offer rewards programs allowing you to accumulate points for using your credit card.
As always, only choose the card that is suitable to your own spending habits and your financial situation.Back to top
Which Visa Gold cards can I choose from?
The St.George Gold Low Rate Visa Card is no longer available. Compare other St.George credit cards here.
Compare Gold Credit Cards with similar features
St.George Gold Low Rate Visa Card
The St.George Gold Low Rate Visa Card offered the following perks:
- Complimentary overseas travel insurance
If you pay for at least $500 worth of your travel arrangements using your St.George Gold Low Rate Visa Card, you could be covered under a range of overseas travel policies. These include (but are not limited to):
- Medical expenses cover - unlimited cover for any emergency medical expenses you incur due to an injury sustained during your overseas trip.
- Loss or damage to personal items - claim a maximum of $15,000 for any accidental loss or damage to your personal items while you're travelling overseas. If you're making a claim for loss or damage to your travel documents, you can claim for up to $550 for these.
- Unexpected travel cancellation - in the event that your pre-paid travel bookings are cancelled due to circumstances beyond your control, you may be covered for an unlimited amount.
- Transit accident insurance - if you're involved in an accident while you're travelling as a passenger aboard a bus, train, ferry or plane you may be covered under this policy for up to $450,000.
Along with the range of travel-related insurance policies, St. George Visa Gold cardholders also benefited from the following additional policies:
- Purchase cover protection - if you use your Visa Gold card to purchase personal items and they're accidentally lost, damaged or stolen within 90 days of the date you purchased them, you may be covered under this policy
- Extended warranty - using your Visa Gold card to pay for personal items could entitle you to an additional extended warranty of up to 12 months aside from the manufacturer's Australian warranty as part of this policy
Heritage Visa Gold Rewards Card
The Heritage Visa Gold Rewards card lets you earn rewards points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases using your card. You can accumulate your points and redeem them for a range of great merchandise items, shopping vouchers, travel, dining and wine, and plenty of other alternatives.
- Promotional offers and introductory rates
The Heritage Gold Rewards card will also let you take advantage of special introductory interest rates. This is a great way to keep your interest costs to a minimum if you happen to carry a balance over on your card from month to month. Alternatively, if you do prefer to repay your entire balance every month you can enjoy up to 25 interest-free days on eligible purchases.
You're also able to take advantage of the premium Visa perks and benefits listed at the beginning of this article.
NAB Gold Visa Debit Card
Please note that the NAB Gold Visa Debit Card is no longer available. Compare your other NAB credit card options here.
Although no longer available, the NAB Gold Visa Debit card offered:
- Complimentary insurance coverage
If you use your NAB Visa Debit Gold card to pay for at least $500 worth of your travel arrangements and you select the "credit" option at the point of sale, you could be covered for a diverse range of travel-related insurances. These include, though are not limited to:
- Overseas travel insurance - your policy may cover you for emergency medical expenses incurred while you're travelling overseas.
- Cancellation of journey - if your pre-paid travel arrangements are cancelled through no fault of your own, you may be able to claim for reimbursement of any fees you've already paid that aren't refundable.
- Travel delay - if your travel arrangements are delayed due to circumstances out of your control, you may be able to claim up to $750 to reimburse you for the cost of meals/refreshments.
- Loss or damage to personal items - if your personal items, luggage or travel documents are lost or damaged, you may be covered under this policy.
NAB Gold Visa Debit cardholders were also entitled to:
- Purchase protection - if you purchase personal items using your card, those items may be covered for up to 90 days against accidental damage, loss or theft
- Extended warranty - use your card to pay for personal goods and you may be entitled to extend the original term of the manufacturer's Australian warranty by up to a maximum of 12 months
- Price protection - if you purchase an item and you see the precise same item available somewhere else for a cheaper price, you may be able to claim for reimbursement of the difference in price.
Remember, you will need to select the "credit" option on the EFTPOS machine or point of sale terminal when using your NAB Visa Debit card for these policies to be activated.
Macquarie Bank Visa Gold Credit Card
Signing up for a Macquarie Bank Visa Gold credit card gives you access to the premium perks and benefits listed at the beginning of this article. However, Macquarie Bank also offers you the following:
- Rewards points
You can be rewarded for using your Macquarie Bank Visa Gold card to pay for eligible purchases. You'll earn one point for every dollar you spend on valid purchases and any points you accumulate will never expire. You can redeem your points for a range of merchandise items, travel, flights, shopping vouchers, lifestyle experiences and more.
- Macquarie Privileges Program
Owning a premium Visa Gold credit card with Macquarie Bank also entitles you to membership with the Macquarie Privileges Program. This gives you exclusive access to discounts on premium services and products such as wine products and membership to the Priority Pass and Pacific Boating programs. The Priority Pass program, which entitles you to take advantage of more than 600 VIP airport lounges in more than 100 countries around the world.
Macquarie Gold Visa cardholders also have access to:
- Purchase security - this policy covers you for up to 90 days on personal items purchased using your Macquarie Gold Card in the event of accidental damage, loss or theft.
- Extended warranty - if you purchase personal goods using your Gold Card, you could be entitled to up to a maximum of 12 months additional warranty on top of the original manufacturer's Australian warranty.
What are the limitations and drawbacks of a Visa Gold credit card?
- Earn rewards as you spend. Visa Gold cards are linked to a rewards program that allows cardholders to earn points as they spend. If you use your credit card for everyday purchases, you could rack up a significant amount of points that can be redeemed for a variety of rewards from travel costs, entertainment packages and merchandise.
- Access exclusive perks. These cards allow cardholders to access exclusive services such as the Visa concierge service, Visa Entertainment and Visa Global Customer Assistance Services.
- Complimentary insurance and cover. Visa Gold customers don't have to worry about organising their own travel insurance, purchase protection and warranty, cutting back the time, effort and stress that often goes into organising such cover.
- High annual fees. The luxurious perks and exclusive offers come at a cost of a high annual fee. When comparing your options, make sure that the rewards you'll receive from the card will offset any costs that come with the card.
- Eligibility restrictions. Visa Gold cards are generally exclusive to high income earners, limiting the scope of cardholders that can benefit from this card. The eligibility requirements will vary depending on your credit card provider, so make sure to confirm these details before applying.