Virgin Money Super: Performance, features and fees
Virgin Money Super offers a low-fee lifestage investment option that changes as you get older.
Virgin Money Super offers two different ways to invest your retirement savings depending on how involved you want to be with your super, including a MySuper approved product. Automatic death and total and permanent disability (TPD) insurance cover is included when you join and you can also tailor your insurance cover to provide added protection.
Past performance - 1 year
Past performance - 5 Years
Annual fees on $50k balance
|Product Name||Virgin Money Super - Lifestage Tracker|
|Past performance - 5 Years||N/A|
|Annual admin fee||$58 + 0.39% of balance p.a.|
|Number of members||18,000|
Performance figures quoted on this page are correct to December 2020, according to Chant West. Investment returns are not guaranteed. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns.
What are the key features of Virgin Money Super?
- Low fees. Virgin Money Super's default MySuper investment option, Lifestage Tracker, charges low annual fees.
- Invest in line with your age. The Lifestage Tracker invests your money according to your age and adjusts over time so you're invested in more low-risk assets as you get older.
- Opt for a build-your-own investment option. If you don't want to go with the Lifestage Tracker, you can build your own investment portfolio from a range of asset-based investment portfolios.
- Default insurance included. You'll automatically receive default death and TPD cover and you can increase this cover if needed or choose to opt out entirely.
- Manage your account online. You can access your account 24/7 online to keep an eye on your balance, switch investment options or make your own contributions.
What investment options are available with Virgin Money Super?
Virgin Money Super offers two different ways to invest: Lifestage Tracker and Virgin Choice. The Lifestage Tracker is the default option and invests your super in line with your age on your behalf. Virgin Money Super Choice Investment Options allows you to choose one or a mixture of asset-based portfolios.
Note that if you fail to select which option you'd like to go with you'll be invested in the Lifestage Tracker, which is Virgin Money Super's authorised MySuper product.
What insurance options are available with Virgin Money Super?
Australian residents aged between 15 and 64 who join Virgin Money Super receive automatic death and TPD insurance. However, you can opt out of insurance cover at any time if you don't think you need it.
Tailored insurance cover
If you want a higher level of cover, you can apply for the following cover options through your Virgin Money Super account:
- Up to $5 million death cover
- Up to $2 million TPD cover
- Up to $30,000 per month income protection cover (maximum 75% of your monthly salary)
From 1 April 2020, automatic cover will not apply for new members until you're aged 25 and your account balance has reached $6,000. However, you may be able to elect to have insurance cover before you're 25 and/or your balance has reached $6,000 (eligibility conditions may apply).
What are the fees charged by Virgin Money Super?
You'll be charged fees on your account for admin and investment management, plus indirect costs of managing the fund. The below example is the fees you'll pay if you had $50,000 invested in the Lifestage Tracker.
Example annual cost on $50,000 balance in Lifestage Tracker
- Annual admin fee: $58 + 0.39% of balance
- Indirect costs including investment fees: 0.21%
- Calculated annual cost of product: $358
How do I join Virgin Money Super?
If you're ready to join Virgin Money Super, you can join online via the Virgin Money website by clicking "Go to site". The application process is simple and should only take you 10–20 minutes to complete.
To complete the online application form you will need to provide:
- Your name, date of birth and gender
- Your address
- Your phone number and email address
- Your tax file number (TFN)
- Your chosen investment option and insurance cover
If you want to roll over your existing super into your new Virgin Money Super fund you'll also need to have your current super details handy.
You'll be sent the details of your Virgin Money Super account shortly after completing the online application form. If you'd like your employer to make your compulsory super payments into this fund, be sure to give your employer your Virgin Money Super account details.