Virgin Australia Review: Sydney to Coffs Harbour
Virgin Australia makes light work of this short flight up the NSW coast.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
I grew up around Coffs Harbour and frequently go back to visit my parents. Coffs Harbour is one of the major airports on the mid-north coast of NSW, so most flights I take there include a mix of locals (past and present), as well as tourists keen to explore the region.
As direct flights from Melbourne are limited to Tigerair, I usually fly with Virgin Australia via Sydney (or occasionally with Qantas on the same two-stop route), which was the case with this trip. What I like about booking with Virgin Australia is that you usually have options for both short or long waiting times in Sydney (in case you want to visit a lounge, for instance). So, in this case, I enjoyed a relatively short stopover of around one hour.
Virgin Australia flight details:Route: Sydney to Coffs Harbour
Duration: 1 hour 5 minutes
Flight number(s): VA1167
Aircraft type: Boeing 737-800
Dates travelled: 02 August 2018
Class: Economy (Getaway fare)
Frequent flyer program: Velocity
Points earned: 768 points, 5 status credits
My review, in short:
- Punctual departure - a sign of a very good start, especially with everyone on the plane within minutes!
- Spare seats between passengers, which is always a perk no matter how short the flight.
- Early arrival in my destination (by 10 minutes)
- Slow baggage collection meant that my gained 10 minutes was no grand gain at all
What did I like?
- Punctual departure. Boarding in Sydney started on time and was very fast. Regardless of the airline, I usually add about 5-10 minutes onto the estimated boarding time to account for basic delays. But for this trip, everyone was on the plane in minutes.
- Spare seats. Similar to my Melbourne to Sydney flight earlier in the day, there were a few spare seats between passengers – although I did notice that most of the Economy X seats were taken.
- Early arrival. The estimated flight time for this route is 1 hour and 5 minutes but I usually find it’s faster. In this case, we arrived at 3:30pm, which was 10 minutes earlier than estimated.
What didn’t I like?
- Slow baggage collection. This isn’t a reflection on Virgin Australia, but it is something to be aware of when you’re visiting Coffs Harbour airport. As a regional airport, the infrastructure isn’t as good as it is in capital city airports, which meant I had to wait around 30 minutes before my checked bag came out.
Would I use Virgin Australia again?
There are only three airlines that offer flights from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour: Qantas, Tigerair and Virgin Australia. I tend to stick with Virgin Australia unless I’m flexible with my schedule and can risk delays by flying direct with Tigerair. Mind you, after hearing that my colleague Angus Kidman’s Tigerair flight to Coffs Harbour was changed to a Virgin Australia one, I am tempted to look at those budget fares again.
Bonus tip: Checked baggage connections
If you're flying from another city to Coffs Harbour and have to stop in Sydney, any checked baggage should go straight through from your first departure point (Melbourne in my case). This means you don’t have to collect it in Sydney or deal with security, leaving you with more time to get to your gate and relax in Sydney Airport.
Keen to fly Virgin Australia? Check out the latest deals below:
More guides on Finder
Half a million fares up for grabs from $75 with Virgin Australia’s sale
EXPIRED: Sort out your 2021 travel plans with this Virgin Australia sale.
Virgin Australia Business Reward discount: What’s on offer
Is a 30% saving on reward seats really worth it? We crunched the numbers.
Hands-on Ultimate Sydney Harbour BridgeClimb: What to expect
Set your sights on the new Ultimate Climb experience from BridgeClimb Sydney, letting you climb the entire length of the bridge for the first time.
Holiday homes in Sydney with all the harbour and beach views
Nab the best seat in the house while enjoying the comforts of home at these Sydney holiday homes.
How to spend 50,000 Qantas Points right now
Lockdown restricts your options, but doesn't mean you should waste points.
Ask Finder: What’s happening with my Virgin Australia travel credits?
When do you have to use them by? Will your credits disappear as Virgin restructures? Your questions answered.
Score Virgin Australia domestic fares from $103 on sale now
EXPIRED: Discovering Australia's hidden gems just got cheaper.
PSA: Virgin Australia’s Happy Hour is back from $69
EXPIRED: 125,000 seats are on sale to Sydney, Melbourne, Hamilton Island, Alice Springs and more.
Western Australia travel restrictions: Where you can go in April 2021
What you need to know before you travel in WA, including which attractions and national parks are open, where you can stay and the available modes of transport.
Where can you go in New South Wales in April 2021? | NSW travel restrictions explained
As the state lifts bans put in place due to COVID-19, here's where you can go now, what you can do and what to keep in mind.
Ask an Expert