Virgin Australia review: Sydney to Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore)
It seems that “happy holidays” is more than just something to say at Christmas, with cheery staff and a quiet flight.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
I really wanted to go away for a few days and treat myself to an extra-long weekend over Christmas. Having never been up to the Sunshine Coast, but constantly eyeing the destination’s stunning beaches and hinterland walking tracks, I decided this was where my next domestic holiday would be.
Knowing that all I needed to get Velocity silver status was two flight segments, I wanted to make sure I flew with Virgin on this trip.
Virgin Australia details
- Route: Sydney to Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore), return
- Duration: 1h 35m
- Flight number(s): VA479, VA484
- Aircraft type: Boeing 737-800
- Dates travelled: 22 December 2018; 25 December 2018
- Class: Economy
- Frequent flyer program: Velocity
- Points earned: 2,220
Alex’s Virgin Australia review: ★★★★☆
- Empty flight
- Little touches on Christmas
- Friendly staff
What did I like?
- Empty return flight: Likely because it was Christmas, it seemed like there were only about 15-20 people on the entire flight with most people having their own row. If only this could happen on long-haul flights!
- Christmas snack: Sometimes it’s the little things. We were served the usual Virgin Australia drink-and-snack combo, but a few minutes after the initial food service, flight attendants came around again and served a Christmas tree-shaped gingerbread cookie to each passenger.
- Friendly staff: I’m not sure if everyone was just in the holiday spirit, but the staff on my return flight were some of the smiliest and friendliest I’ve come across on any airline.
- Quickly reached status: With many partner airlines, or just sheer luck, I quickly earned the 250 status credits needed to get silver status and these two segments were able to seal the deal for me.
What didn’t I like?
- Few departure options: Flying to a small airport does often mean limited options when it comes to flight times. I like making the most of my travel days, so I was disappointed that the latest Virgin flight available from Maroochydore back to Sydney was only at 4:45pm.
- Price: For such a short flight, I don’t think the $400 fare was justified. That said, the only cheaper option was only about $50 less and I admittedly did want to get status.
Would I use Virgin Australia again?
Yes. The service was wonderful compared to my recent Tigerair experience and the little touches were much appreciated. Since I do want to retain my status with the airline, I will also be more likely to book with Virgin over another airline.
Virgin Australia flight deals and sales:
More guides on Finder
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Where to buy Christmas decorations online in Australia
Get in the holiday spirit with these online stores that sell all kinds of Christmas decorations.
Gold Coast resorts for luxury accommodation with all the views
Here are the beachfront resorts with outdoor pools, kids' clubs, acclaimed restaurants and more to really set the scene on your next Gold Coast holiday.
Earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia flights
Book flights through to August 2021 and earn 10 Velocity Points per $1 spent.
10 breathtaking romantic getaways on the Sunshine Coast
From the waterfront to the poolside, these are the Sunshine Coast getaways that will have you unwinding in just minutes.
Jetstar flight review: What’s flying like during the pandemic?
The flight was cheap. The Queensland border was still open. What happened?
30+ best Click Frenzy™ Julove 2020 sales you can shop right now
Take 40% off selected styles at adidas, get 60% off at boohoo and NastyGal and enjoy up to 70% off bedroom, living and more at Canningvale.
South Australia travel restrictions: What can I do in April 2021?
Here's everything you need to know on the current South Australia travel restrictions.
Where can you go in New South Wales in April 2021? | NSW travel restrictions explained
As the state lifts bans put in place due to COVID-19, here's where you can go now, what you can do and what to keep in mind.
Ask an Expert