Virgin Australia review: Sydney to Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore)
It seems that “happy holidays” is more than just something to say at Christmas, with cheery staff and a quiet flight.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
I really wanted to go away for a few days and treat myself to an extra-long weekend over Christmas. Having never been up to the Sunshine Coast, but constantly eyeing the destination’s stunning beaches and hinterland walking tracks, I decided this was where my next domestic holiday would be.
Knowing that all I needed to get Velocity silver status was two flight segments, I wanted to make sure I flew with Virgin on this trip.
Virgin Australia details
- Route: Sydney to Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore), return
- Duration: 1h 35m
- Flight number(s): VA479, VA484
- Aircraft type: Boeing 737-800
- Dates travelled: 22 December 2018; 25 December 2018
- Class: Economy
- Frequent flyer program: Velocity
- Points earned: 2,220
Alex’s Virgin Australia review: ★★★★☆
- Empty flight
- Little touches on Christmas
- Friendly staff
What did I like?
- Empty return flight: Likely because it was Christmas, it seemed like there were only about 15-20 people on the entire flight with most people having their own row. If only this could happen on long-haul flights!
- Christmas snack: Sometimes it’s the little things. We were served the usual Virgin Australia drink-and-snack combo, but a few minutes after the initial food service, flight attendants came around again and served a Christmas tree-shaped gingerbread cookie to each passenger.
- Friendly staff: I’m not sure if everyone was just in the holiday spirit, but the staff on my return flight were some of the smiliest and friendliest I’ve come across on any airline.
- Quickly reached status: With many partner airlines, or just sheer luck, I quickly earned the 250 status credits needed to get silver status and these two segments were able to seal the deal for me.
What didn’t I like?
- Few departure options: Flying to a small airport does often mean limited options when it comes to flight times. I like making the most of my travel days, so I was disappointed that the latest Virgin flight available from Maroochydore back to Sydney was only at 4:45pm.
- Price: For such a short flight, I don’t think the $400 fare was justified. That said, the only cheaper option was only about $50 less and I admittedly did want to get status.
Would I use Virgin Australia again?
Yes. The service was wonderful compared to my recent Tigerair experience and the little touches were much appreciated. Since I do want to retain my status with the airline, I will also be more likely to book with Virgin over another airline.
Virgin Australia flight deals and sales:
More guides on Finder
Virgin sale beats Jetstar’s Gold Coast prices by up to 20%
EXPIRED: Relax on one of Queensland's famous beaches this summer with more new routes from Virgin.
Virgin returns to Coffs Harbour with $45 seats on sale
EXPIRED: Reunite with family just in time for Christmas and the summer holidays.
5 cheapest places to fly to when Australia’s international borders reopen
See which overseas destinations have the cheapest flights in January.
$58 Virgin Happy Hour summer sale + double Status Credits offer
EXPIRED: Book with flexibility until 2022 and spend the school holidays in 1 of 30 destinations around Australia.
Virgin Tasmania flights sale from $49 and double status credits
EXPIRED: Virgin Australia launches more direct Tassie services with flexible flights taking off from October 2021.
Jetstar $39 sale flights beat Virgin Australia’s by 20%
EXPIRED: You've got until 8pm tonight to score cheap flights to 16 destinations.
Tasmania flight sale takes off with new Virgin Australia routes
EXPIRED: Virgin has launched 2 new routes this week that will help reunite families for Christmas.
Stuck with Virgin or Qantas credits? How to take action
With snap border closures continuing to halt the travel plans of many in Australia, we asked seven Finder staff what they’re doing with their travel credits.
Amazon Fire TV Stick 2021 review: Vastly improved, but buy the 4K model
Amazon’s mid-range Fire TV stick covers the basics in a more appealing way than the Lite stick, although you’re probably better off with the upgraded 4K model instead.
Virgin Australia sale amps up the romance with $69 Valentine’s Day fares
EXPIRED: Love is certainly in the air with fares that are $20 less than Virgin's usual sale prices.
Ask an Expert