Virgin Australia review: Sydney-Adelaide
A cheeky four-day trip on the same day as the Superloop Adelaide 500
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
I am not a petrol head, but it just so happened that the stars were aligned (out of my favour) and the weekend that suited my first trip to Adelaide was also the weekend of the Superloop Adelaide 500.
I booked the cheapest flight that left on Thursday on Virgin Australia at 6:45am and here's what went down.
- Route: Sydney-Adelaide
- Duration: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- Flight Number(s): VA0402
- Aircraft Type: Boeing 737-800
- Dates Travelled: 28 February 2019
- Class: Economy
- Frequent Flyer Program: Virgin Velocity
- Points earned: 855 points and 7 status credits
Stephanie Yip's Virgin Australia review ★★★☆☆
- Timeliness: Flight left on time and landed early.
- Legroom: Comfortable amount.
- No weighing of bags. Despite recent crack downs, Virgin didn't scrutinise the weight of carry-on bags.
- Food: Pretty sub-standard. I got the mandatory tea/coffee offering and a protein ball for brekky.
What did I like?
- Timeliness. The flight boarded on time and despite being full due to the Superloop, I still had plenty of time to get settled in my seat before we set off. The flight landed around 10 minutes earlier than expected, but my pre-organised ride to my accommodation was still waiting for me as I walked out the doors.
- Legroom: There wasn't an excessive amount of room, but it was more than comfortable for me (157cm tall) and would have been fine for the average Aussie.
- No weighing of carry-on bags. Even though I knew I was under the 7kg hand-carry limit, I still get a little stressed having to weigh my bag. Virgin didn't bother this time around which made boarding that much faster.
What didn’t I like?
- The food: All Virgin Australia flights offer meals and ours was a breakfast that left me heavily disappointed. I understand we won't get hot meals but a protein ball can hardly be considered a breakfast snack.
Would I use Virgin Australia again?
Yes. While it was nothing extraordinary, I didn't leave this flight with any major complaints. The service was good quality, the airplane was roomy and clean, and the flight was smooth.
Virgin Australia flight deals and sales:
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Business courses online in Australia
Searching for a career in business and not sure where to start? Find out here.
Virgin Australia’s sale is flying you across the country from $69
Calling all holidaymakers! It's time to see what's up Down Under.
Online first aid courses in Australia
Be prepared to help in any situation. Here's what you need to know about taking an online first aid course.
Best GPS navigation systems in Australia 2020
These are the best GPS Navigation Systems in Australia for 2020, as determined by thousands of real customer reviews.
5 weird Amazon Prime Day deals that are worth buying
Here are five cool and weird Amazon Prime Day deals you didn't realise you needed: from beach metal detectors to travel telescope kits.
Advance Whitening review
Read about how a teeth whitening kit from Advance Whitening can meet the needs of those looking for a brighter smile without paying a visit to the dentist.
Teeth whitening gel
Want a whiter smile? Find out everything there is to know about teeth whitening gels here.
Earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia flights
Book flights through to August 2021 and earn 10 Velocity Points per $1 spent.
WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo review
Centrally located, packed full of local critters and perfect for families, WILD LIFE Sydney offers a few fun hours out.
Ask an Expert