Virgin Australia review: Sydney-Adelaide
A cheeky four-day trip on the same day as the Superloop Adelaide 500
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
I am not a petrol head, but it just so happened that the stars were aligned (out of my favour) and the weekend that suited my first trip to Adelaide was also the weekend of the Superloop Adelaide 500.
I booked the cheapest flight that left on Thursday on Virgin Australia at 6:45am and here's what went down.
- Route: Sydney-Adelaide
- Duration: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- Flight Number(s): VA0402
- Aircraft Type: Boeing 737-800
- Dates Travelled: 28 February 2019
- Class: Economy
- Frequent Flyer Program: Virgin Velocity
- Points earned: 855 points and 7 status credits
Stephanie Yip's Virgin Australia review ★★★☆☆
- Timeliness: Flight left on time and landed early.
- Legroom: Comfortable amount.
- No weighing of bags. Despite recent crack downs, Virgin didn't scrutinise the weight of carry-on bags.
- Food: Pretty sub-standard. I got the mandatory tea/coffee offering and a protein ball for brekky.
What did I like?
- Timeliness. The flight boarded on time and despite being full due to the Superloop, I still had plenty of time to get settled in my seat before we set off. The flight landed around 10 minutes earlier than expected, but my pre-organised ride to my accommodation was still waiting for me as I walked out the doors.
- Legroom: There wasn't an excessive amount of room, but it was more than comfortable for me (157cm tall) and would have been fine for the average Aussie.
- No weighing of carry-on bags. Even though I knew I was under the 7kg hand-carry limit, I still get a little stressed having to weigh my bag. Virgin didn't bother this time around which made boarding that much faster.
What didn’t I like?
- The food: All Virgin Australia flights offer meals and ours was a breakfast that left me heavily disappointed. I understand we won't get hot meals but a protein ball can hardly be considered a breakfast snack.
Would I use Virgin Australia again?
Yes. While it was nothing extraordinary, I didn't leave this flight with any major complaints. The service was good quality, the airplane was roomy and clean, and the flight was smooth.
Virgin Australia flight deals and sales:
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 58% off Memory Foam pillows, 60% off Sandisk Micro-SD memory cards, 70% off massage guns.
Accommodation review: Eden Farm Escape, Bilpin, Blue Mountains
An idyllic escape from the big city for couples and families alike.
Best Chromebooks in Australia
Work, learn and play with one of the best Chromebooks you can get your hands on in Australia right now.
Best pillow and cushion inserts in Australia
We’ve found the seven best pillow and cushion inserts you can buy in Australia right now.
Best scanners in Australia
From the best home scanner to the top budget model, we chose the five best scanners available in Australia right now.
Jura E6 coffee machine review
The Jura E6 is a super-automatic espresso machine that makes rich, customisable coffee in seconds.
Best RC planes in Australia
From the best RC plane for beginners to the top model for aerial photography, these are the six best RC planes in Australia right now.
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
Taronga Zoo review
We review everything from the animal exhibits to what the zoo is doing to stay COVID-safe.
Mornington Pale Ale beer review
This independent craft beer from Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula is a delightful, fruity and light pale ale that's well worth a taste.
Ask an Expert