Virgin Australia just dropped $409 return flights to Queenstown for winter 2023
Start planning your 2023 ski trip now.
TL;DR: What's the deal with this flight sale?
Cheapest flight available:
$409 return (Melbourne to Queenstown)
3 February – 6 September 2023
Fares start from $409 return from Melbourne. They include sun-shiny dates in February, March and May as well as some peak-season travel from mid-August to early September.
Here are all the starter fares to get you ready to visit the extreme sports capital:
- Melbourne-Queenstown from $409 return
- Brisbane-Queenstown from $519 return
- Sydney-Queenstown from $539 return
- Canberra-Queenstown (via Melbourne) from $545 return
- Adelaide-Queenstown (via Sydney or Melbourne) from $605 return
- Gold Coast-Queenstown (via Sydney) from $685 return
- Perth-Queenstown (via Melbourne) from $1,059 return
Prices are Lite fares that include your seat and carry-on luggage only. If you've got gear, you can upgrade to a Choice seat for an extra $60 return (or $30 each way). This is based on a flight from Melbourne-Queenstown from 14 August to 2 September 2023.
- The early bird gets the worm! Book now at Virgin Australia.
How good are these Virgin Australia sale fares?
Flights to Queenstown during the snow season rarely go on sale and are seldom this cheap return.
To provide some perspective, Qantas flights from Melbourne to Queenstown are more than double the price at $1,227 return per adult. This is based on a trip from 14 August to 2 September 2023.
This sale is even outpricing Jetstar. Its cheapest flights cost $534 return for travel from 14 to 23 August 2023.
Similar to Virgin Australia, these don't include checked luggage, which is something you'll need to factor in if you're bringing your gear and equipment.
"Today is a significant day for Virgin Australia with our first New Zealand flight in over 2 years," said Virgin Australia group CEO Jayne Hrdlicka on 2 November 2022.
"To celebrate this wonderful milestone, we have launched 15,000 Economy sale fares from as low as $409 return until midnight this Sunday, and we encourage everyone thinking about visiting Queenstown to get in quick before the sale ends," Hrdlicka said.
The Virgin Australia Queenstown sale ends 11:59pm AEDT on 6 November 2022, unless sold out earlier.
These Virgin Australia fares at a glance
- Okay flexibility: Virgin Australia no longer offers fare flexibility. However, if you contract COVID-19 or are a close contact in the lead-up to your trip, you may be eligible for a fee-free flight change.
- Great airline: Virgin Australia was called out as one of the best airlines in the world by AirlineRatings this year.
- Great frequent flyer points: Velocity members can earn 5 points for every $1 spent on flights. That's at least 2,045 points earned when you book the cheapest return.
- Good travel time: Flights from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are all direct. If you're flying in from another major or capital city, you'll have to transfer through one of them.
- Great weather: Did we mention ski season? From June to August is the peak snow season in Queenstown and the best time to visit for snowsports. Yes, you'll be catching it at the end but New Zealand's season is long and you're fairly guaranteed some amount of snow even if you visit in early September.