View Finder: Facebook looks to New Yorkers for its streaming aspirations

Nick Broughall 25 August 2017 NEWS

viewfinder-bojack

Personally, I'd prefer to drink bourbon and watch BoJack though.

A few weeks back, Facebook introduced "Watch", an update to its mobile and desktop browser apps that introduced a dedicated tab for streaming video. Initially appearing for just a small subset of US users, the goal for Watch is clear - to take advantage of the addiction to streaming video with a dedicated platform within the global social media service.

The first real original content for the service has also been revealed in the form of a 12-part documentary from photographer Brandon Stanton, the man behind the massively popular Humans of New York Facebook page, and executive produced by Oscar-nominated documentary maker Julie Goldman.

Stanton has a backlog of footage he's been collecting over the past four years or so, which will be rolled into 12 half-hour episodes according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Unlike Netflix, Facebook is planning on peppering its Watch programs with ad breaks, with TechCrunch claiming that content creators will keep 55% of the ad-revenue, and Facebook pocketing the other 45%.

The show will begin rolling out weekly, starting from next week, while Facebook Watch will continue to expand to other US users before it spreads internationally.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

I've never really gotten into UFC or boxing, but even I know that the Mayweather Vs McGregor fight this weekend is going to be insane.

If you don't have Foxtel or Fetch and want to watch the match, the talented team here have managed to pull together a comprehensive list of not only every way to watch the fight online, but also every venue around the country that will be showing the fight live on Sunday. All you have to do is enter your postcode to find the nearest venue to you, and then ready yourself for the impending combination of alcohol and violence.

Trailer of the week: BoJack is back

While most of the world is currently obsessed with Rick and Morty (and rightly so), let's not forget the importance of BoJack Horseman's return to Netflix on September 8.

Stan has also unleashed the first teaser for season 2 of Wolf Creek. And yes, Mick Taylor is still as creepy as ever.



Each week, View Finder rounds up the latest news in TV and movie streaming in Australia.

Latest streaming headlines

Data deals on finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site