Earn more Velocity frequent flyer points on your everyday expenses and redeem the rewards you want including flights, hotels, shopping and the latest gadgets.
Virgin Australia’s Velocity frequent flyer rewards scheme has collaborated with a number of Australia’s banks and card providers to offer cardholders the opportunity to earn Velocity points as they spend. These cards vary from zero annual fee cards to the platinum variety, with the earn rates varying from card to card.
It’s free to sign up and you can earn points in a number of ways, including travel purchases, online shopping and eligible everyday costs. There may even be some opportunities to earn bonus points when shopping with certain providers. These points can then be redeemed for an assortment of rewards such as flights, accommodation and merchandise via the Virgin Online Store.
Receive up to 60,000 bonus Velocity Points
Offer ends 31 October 2017
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Virgin Money Credit Card Offer
Earn up to 20,000 bonus Velocity Points each month you spend $1,500 on eligible transactions for the first 3 months (up to 60,000 points). Plus, enjoy 0% p.a. for 18 months on balance transfers.
- $64 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($129 p.a. thereafter).
- 20.74% p.a. on purchases
- Cash advance rate of 20.99% p.a.
- Up to 44 days interest free
- Minimum income requirement of $35,000 p.a.
Compare Velocity Rewards Credit Cards
What are the earn rates?
The earn rates differ from card to card, though you can generally expect to receive higher earn rates on premium credit cards. There are two types of Velocity credit cards, either a co-branded card that automatically loads the rewards points to your Velocity account or an indirect earn card that’ll allow you to convert your credit card rewards points to Velocity points. The earn rates between these different types of cards will also vary.
- Virgin Australia Velocity High Flyer card. Earn 1 Velocity Point per $1 spent.
- Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer card. Earn 0.66 Velocity Points per $1 spent up to 5,490 per month and then 1 Velocity Point for every $2 spent.
- American Express Platinum card. Earn up to 3 points for every $1 spent.
- American Express Velocity Escape card. Earn up to 2 points for every $1 spent.
- American Express Business Charge card. Earn up to 1 point for every $1 spent.
- NAB Velocity Rewards Premium card. Earn 1 Velocity Point for every $1 spent on AMEX card and 0.5 Velocity Points for every $1 spent on Visa card.
- NAB Velocity Rewards card. Earn 0.75 Velocity Points for every $1 spent on AMEX card and 0.5 Velocity Points for every $1 spent on Visa card.
The indirect cards and providers that allow you to transfer your points to Velocity points include:
- American Express Membership Rewards card. 1 Membership Reward point earns 1 Velocity Point.
- Diners Club International. 1.5 Diners Club Reward points will earn 1 Velocity point.
- ANZ Business Rewards. 2.25 ANZ Business Reward points earn 1 Velocity point.
- Citi cards. 1.5 Citi Rewards points earn 1 Velocity point for Citi Rewards Signature, Prestige and CitiBusiness credit card. For Citi Gold and Citi Platinum credit card, 2 Citi Rewards points earn 1 Velocity point.
- Westpac. 2 Altitude points earn 1 Velocity Point.
- Commonwealth Bank. 2.5 Commonwealth Awards points earn 1 Velocity point.
- ANZ. 2 ANZ rewards points earn 1 Velocity point.
- St.George. 2 Amplify points earn 1 Velocity point.
- Bank of Melbourne. 2 Amplify points earn 1 Velocity point.
If you’re transferring your card rewards points to your Velocity account, some restrictions may apply. For example, in case of Bank of Melbourne, cardholders need to transfer minimum 3,000 Amplify points per transfer. If you have more than 3,000 Amplify points to transfer, you’ll need to do so in multiples of 500. For example, you will only be able to transfer amounts of 3,500 points, 4,000 points, 4,500 points, and so on.
At the time of writing, co-branded credit cards provide a more competitive earn rate and have the added bonus of automatically transferring your Velocity points to your account.
How can I earn Velocity points?
Some of the ways you can expect to earn Velocity points on your credit card include:
- Airline travel. Velocity points are earned on the basis of earn rate per mile. This rate is higher for premium class seats. You can also expect to earn bonuses as you move up the Silver, Gold and Platinum Velocity tiers.
- Eligible credit card purchases. You can also earn Velocity points on eligible everyday purchases. For example, American Express Platinum card earns 3 points for every dollar spent on Virgin Australia, 2 points for every dollar spent on other airlines, accommodation, major cruises and even enables points earning on payment of utility bills at a rate of 0.50 points for every dollar spent. These rates and eligible purchases will differ from card to card.
- Car hire. Hiring a car from Europcar, Thrifty and Hertz from more than 12,000 locations across the globe can earn 4 points for every dollar spent.
- Hotel stays. Bonus points can be earned on hotel stays when Velocity members book with Velocity’s online accommodation partners.
- Fuel. Earn 2 Velocity points for every litre of fuel and 2 Velocity points for every $1 spent in-store up to $100, per transaction at participating BP service stations.
- Velocity eStore. Earn 2 Velocity points for every dollar spent on Velocity eStore. It includes over 200 local and international stores.
- Wining and dining. Earn 300 points for every honoured booking when reservations are made through bookarestaurant.com/velocity.
There are several other opportunities to earn points in travel purchases, entertainment and home expenses. Cardholders can use these options to quickly accumulate points on their account and redeem these points for their chosen rewards.
What can I redeem my points for?
- Flights around Australian and the world - redeem your points for any seat you want on a Virgin Australia airline, or redeem your points for a Reward Seat with a limited availability.
- Car hire - You can redeem points for the hire of a car in selected countries around the world. You can use your points for the whole balance, or use a mix of Velocity Rewards points and cash.
- Hotels and accommodation - Choose from one of 75,000 partner hotels around the world and choose to pay with your points
- Holiday extras - use your points for a range of activities at a variety of locations. These include Onsport Golf Club, SeaWorld, Wet'n'Wild and Warner Brothers Movie World. You can also use your points on cruise liners, limousines and even Virgin Galactic!
- Online Shopping - Not only will you earn points shopping at Westfield and onsport online, you can redeem points at these web sites too.
- Donations to charities - You can redeem your Virgin Velocity points for donations to charities through Virgin Unite. Virgin Unite aims to help make people's lives better.
- Virgin Online Store - From an iPad to fashion accessories to household appliances, whatever you need you could most probably find it in the Virgin Velocity Online Shop.
What should I consider when comparing credit cards that can earn Velocity points?
Velocity credit cards vary from card to card and the right option will depend on your needs and rewards goals. Some of the factors you may like to consider include:
- Are the points restricted? What good is a 3 or 4 points per dollar earn rate if the points are capped to a low amount or will expire in a short duration. If you regularly use your card and have the ability to earn points beyond the cap in place or if you intend to save up your points beyond the expiry, either of these restrictions could limit your choices.
- Does the rewards program compliment my spending habits? The rewards program should align with your spending behaviour. Increasing the expenses just to accumulate higher reward points can lead to superfluous expenses and even unsustainable debt. Cards must be chosen according to the monthly expense budget of the individual.
- Rewards programs. Make sure that the rewards program on offer is right for you. If you’re looking at a Velocity frequent flyer card, but you often fly with Qantas, you may wish to reconsider your choice.
- Other features. Reward points are only a part of the total benefits provided by a card. Other features such as annual fees, complimentary insurance, balance transfer options, foreign currency conversion or purchase rates are just some of the factors you’ll need to consider when comparing your card options.
If you’re a Velocity frequent flyer, a Velocity credit card could be a worthwhile way to rack up points. However, as there are a number of rewards credit cards on the market, it’s wise to compare your options before making your final choice.
Frequently asked questions
How can I choose an ideal Velocity point card?
There is no such thing as the one perfect credit card, so you’ll need to compare your options with your lifestyle to ensure that it’ll work for you. For example, if you travel overseas regularly, a card with complimentary travel insurance could come in handy. Whereas if you’re carrying an existing debt, a balance transfer could be an option. In the end, the right card will depend on your financial situation and what you want out of your card.
I already have a large number of rewards points with another frequent flyer program. Should I transfer them to Velocity points?
Before transferring the points to another rewards scheme it is better to look at the options to redeem the points directly. Transferring points to another program usually comes at a lower earn rate. See our transferring frequent flyer points guide before making a decision.
How can I move to higher level Velocity membership?
Velocity rewards system has three level of membership besides the entry level. They are Silver, Gold and Platinum. Higher level provides better earning and redemption perks. These memberships depend on the status credits earned on eligible Virgin Australia and partner airlines purchases. A higher class ticket will earn faster credits which can lead to faster upgrades of the membership. Status credits are valid for a period of 12 months, from the date flown.