Which currencies can I load onto my Velocity Global Wallet Card?
The Velocity Global Wallet Card supports the following 11 currencies:
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)
- Euros (EUR)
- British pounds (GBP)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- Japanese yen (JPY)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
- Thai baht (THB)
- US dollars (USD)
- South African rand (ZAR)
All funds are loaded into your Australian currency wallet unless you have selected a foreign currency wallet as your Preferred Load Wallet. In that case, your funds will be loaded with the real-time exchange rate for that currency. Rates are updated continuously throughout the day, and you can check them at any time anytime using the Global Wallet app or website.
What happens when I spend in an unsupported foreign currency?
In the event you make a purchase in a currency that isn't supported, or isn't sufficiently loaded on the card, two things will happen. First, a foreign exchange fee of 2.25% will be applied to your total transaction amount.
Second, available funds from your other active currency wallets will be debited to pay for the transaction, according to the currency order or "drawdown sequence". The drawdown sequence is the order in which you prefer your available wallet balances to be debited when making a transaction. You can set your preference with the Global Wallet app, online, or by calling customer assistance on 13 18 75, or +61 2 8667 5924 from overseas.
How does the drawdown sequence work?
To illustrate, imagine you load your Velocity Global Wallet Card with AUD$1,000 and subsequently convert AUD$99 into New Zealand Dollars and AUD$900 into Thai baht (THB). On your way to Bangkok, you stop over in Singapore and have a meal priced in Singapore dollars at SGD$200.
When you use your card to pay, it performs an "auto wallet transfer" to transfer funds from your first wallet in the drawdown sequence, which is the Australian currency wallet. Since you only have AUD$1 left in that wallet, your card performs a second auto wallet transfer to convert your NZD balance into SGD.
As that isn't sufficient either, a third auto wallet transfer takes place converting THB into SGD to complete the transaction. All three currency conversions are subject to Velocity's prevailing exchange rates and the 2.25% currency conversion fee.
Where can I use my Velocity Global Wallet?
You may use your Velocity Global Wallet Card online, in-store and at ATMs globally wherever Visa is accepted, including over 30 million locations worldwide. Your card cannot be used for Internet gambling or illegal transactions, cash-out transactions at a point of sale, or where a merchant does not accept Visa prepaid cards.
Features of the Velocity Global Wallet Card
Other features and benefits you can access with a Global Wallet card include:
- Velocity Frequent Flyer program. Enjoy the membership perks of the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, including the ability to earn points per $1 spent. Earn 2 Velocity Points per $1 spent overseas and 1 point per $3 spent in Australia. You can redeem points for travel, dining, entertainment, lifestyle products and services.
- Locked-in exchange rates. Locking in currency exchange rates ahead of travelling helps you to stay in control of your budget and spending.
- Additional card. You can request a supplementary card for $10 via the Global Wallet Account Centre. This card lasts for up to five years and functions in the same way as the primary card, giving access to the same funds and letting you earn Velocity Points whenever you use it for purchases. It also serves as a backup card should you lose or damage the first one.
- Worldwide ATM alliance. Access your cash at any overseas ATM that accepts Visa prepaid cards.
- Smartphone app. Easily manage your account online by logging in to the Global Wallet Account Centre or by using the Global Wallet app on your smart device. You can view your transactions and balances, as well as transfer money between currency wallets.
- Account and transaction limits. Your account balance cannot exceed AUD$25,000 or its equivalent. The maximum daily amount you can withdraw from an ATM is AUD$2,500 or its equivalent in another currency, or the withdrawal limit set by the ATM operator.
How much does the Velocity Global Wallet Card cost?
This table presents the costs associated with using the Velocity Global Wallet Card and explains when the fee will be charged.
|Type of fee||Cost||When you'll be charged|
|Purchase fee||$0||You don't have to pay a fee to order the card.|
|Supplementary card fee||$10||When you request an additional card|
|Load/reload fee||0%||You won't be charged a fee when you load or reload with bank transfer.|
|International ATM withdrawal fee||AU$1.95||Each time you withdraw money from an overseas ATM in the relevant supported currency.|
|Domestic ATM withdrawal fee||AU$1.95||When you withdraw funds from an ATM in Australia|
|Currency conversion fee||2.25% of the transaction (in AUD$)||Whenever you transact in a currency that is unsupported or insufficiently loaded on your card|
|SMS fund transfer fee||$0||There is no fee to transfer money to other cardholders via Mobile Services.|
|Card to card transfer fee||$0||You won't be charged if you transfer funds to another card.|
|Inactivity fee||AU$1.95||This fee will apply each month after your account has been inactive for 12 consecutive calendar months.|
|$0||It is free to close your account and cash out any available balance.|
|Emergency cash transfer fee||$15||When you request an emergency cash transfer of up to AUD$3,000 or equivalent.|
How to use the Velocity Global Wallet Card
Follow these steps to get your travel card up and running.
- Activate the card. You can activate your Velocity Global Wallet Card with the Global Wallet app, online or by calling 13 18 75 in Australia, or +61 2 8667 5924 from overseas and following the prompts. Make sure you have your personal information (such as your contact details and drivers licence) on hand for identification purposes.
- Load funds onto the card. Once your card is activated, you can load Australian dollars onto your Velocity Global Wallet Card via bank transfer or BPAY. You can find instruction details for either method by logging in to the Global Wallet Account Centre.Note that bank transfers can take up to one business day to be reflected in your account, while BPAY transactions can take up to three business days. The maximum amount for each load or reload is AUD$25,000 as long as it doesn't cause your total available balance to exceed AUD$25,000.
- Manage your online account. Once funds are loaded to your Velocity Global Wallet Card, you can transfer money between currencies by logging in to the Global Wallet Account Centre online, or by using the Global Wallet app on any smart device.You can perform a variety of tasks including the following:
- View your account balance and transaction history
- Move money between currency wallets
- Activate a replacement card
- Request a supplementary card
- Report a lost or stolen card
- Change your account password and card PIN
- Reclaim funds
- Manage your alert notifications
What do I do if I return home with foreign currency remaining on the card?
Keep the money on your card for future trips, or apply for a funds redemption by logging in to your account online or by calling Customer Assistance on 13 18 75. Any remaining foreign currency will be converted to Australian dollars at the prevailing Velocity exchange rate at the time your request is processed, and the funds paid out to you via your designated method.
Report any card loss or theft instantly, as you may be held liable for losses resulting from unauthorised transactions if you take too long to report the incident. Cancel your card using the Global Wallet app or via the Global Wallet Account Centre. You can also call 13 18 75 or +61 2 8667 5924 while overseas. You can request a replacement card or emergency cash transfer, or use your supplementary card if you have one.
How to apply for a Velocity Global Wallet Card
If you're an existing Velocity member, log in to your Velocity account and go to "My Benefits".
If you're new to Velocity, you can request that your new membership card comes enabled with Global Wallet. Go to the Velocity website and click the "JOIN FREE NOW" button. You will be required to fill in an online form with your personal details and contact information. For security purposes, you will also need to create a password, PIN and security question.
Your card will arrive via post in 10 to 15 working days.
Are there any eligibility requirements?
You must be over 18 and have a residential address in Australia.
In addition to locked-in currency exchange rates and fee savings, the Velocity Global Wallet Card offers a great way to earn Velocity Points on your overseas expenditure. Compare all available travel card options before applying to make sure you choose one that will best serve your personal travel needs and spending preferences.Back to top