Check out the beautiful concept art from Valve’s abandoned co-op fantasy game
Another Valve project that will never see the light of day.
Along with previously unseen designs for female Team Fortress 2 characters, ex-Valve artist Drew Wolf has shown off concept art he created during his tenure at Valve for an untitled fantasy co-op game.
The gorgeous designs reveal a cast of diverse characters that would have teamed up in groups of four for a story-focused co-op adventure that sounds almost like a more narrative-driven Left 4 Dead set in a fantasy world.
After honing the vast character roster down to ten main characters, Wolf created a series of beautiful mood sketches styled after classic sci-fi and fantasy book covers. These sketches hint at not only the personality of each character but also how they would have played, from the Stormesque wind-sorceress Vanessa to the slingshot-wielding "Scourge of the Vale" Grundion.
Like the TF2 designs, it's a bummer this work never came to fruition, though it does show Valve isn't resting on its laurels as Dota 2 continues to make ridiculous amounts of money for the studio.
You can check out all the designs along with the rest of Drew Wolf's work over at his personal site.
In other fantasy game news, we recently went hands-on with the upcoming Middle-earth: Shadow of War.
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice hands-on: Your Soulsborne experience means nothing
- Twitch Prime subscribers can score Apex Legends loot by connecting their account
- Final Fantasy XIV float heading to the 2019 Sydney Mardi Gras
- HyperX Cloud Mix review: The best of both worlds
- Far Cry New Dawn Review: Soaked with rads but not radically different