Valentine’s Day Investment deals for the pragmatic
Love is priceless but let's be honest, it's not always the best investment.
There's no better reminder that yes, love does cost a thing, than the imminent arrival of Valentine's Day. Sorry to burst the dream J-Lo.
Apparently dating is so expensive in Australia, averaging $82-$107 per head for a first date, that 46% of people have admitted to cancelling because of their financial situation, according to a new study by investment app Raiz Invest.
Because it's near impossible to predict the successful outcome of a first date, that makes dating a risky investment in my books, with the high potential for loss. Similar to the warning we put on derivative investments.
So, this Valentine's Day, why not invest in something a little more (ahem) tangible? The future you (and your loved one) will thank you.
With that in mind, below is a list of investment ideas that may well give you a better return on your money:
- Invest as you shop with Raiz. Proof that you can have fun while you invest. Raiz Invest is a micro-investment app that collects and invests your spare change into a fund of ETFs every time you spend money. Plus, the app offers online shopping deals with hundreds of brands where a percentage of what you spend is invested for you as a cash bonus. You can read more about ETFs in our guide or check out our hands-on review.
- Ratesetter exclusive deal. Ratesetter is a P2P platform where investors (the lenders) are connected with borrowers. They're currently running an exclusive Finder deal offering new customers a $20 cash bonus if they invest $100 or more. That's a 20% return before you've started. Head over to our RateSetter review page to learn more about the deal or read our guide on P2P investing.
- Get $100 credit with Jaaims. Jaaims is a new share trading platform soon to launch in Australia. What sets it apart from others of its kind is the app does all the trading for you based on optimal timing. You simply select the stocks you want and let the app do the rest. If you get onto the waitlist early and hold your account for at least two months, Jaaims is offering $100 free credit into your broker account.
- No fees with SixPark. SixPark is a robo-adviser that offers five different managed funds. The platform is running a promotion where parents and guardians can sign up accounts for their kids or grandkids free of charge for six months. Considering last year's returns were up to 23% for its Aggressive Growth portfolio, it's not a bad little freebie.
- Gift stocks. If you're in a relationship and looking for a special gift for a special someone, why not surprise them with shares? It might not be romantic, but I can't think of a better present than one that (potentially) makes you wealthier every year. Check out our guide to gifting stocks for more info.
As always when it comes to investing, make sure you read the terms and conditions and understand the risks before you sign up. What might be the right investment for one person can be a disaster for another.
If these aren't the right investments for you, check out our investments home page and take a look at our list of share trading platforms, P2P investment options, super funds, forex brokers, property and managed funds.
Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of futures, stocks, ETFs, options or any specific provider, service or offering. It should not be relied upon as advice or construed as providing recommendations of any kind. Futures, stocks, ETFs and options trading involve substantial risk of loss and therefore are not appropriate for all investors. Past performance is not an indication of future results. Consider your own circumstances and obtain your own advice before making any trades.