Top 25 Valentine’s Day recipes 2020
Show your romantic side by surprising your Valentine with a date-night worthy dinner.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Taking your date out for dinner on Valentine's Day is a nice idea. The only problem is, everyone else will probably have the exact same one. Avoid the crowds (and the surcharge) by creating your own intimate love scene at home. Not only will your date be impressed by your culinary expertise, but you can choose your own music, dance like no one's watching and remain uninterrupted for the course of your evening.
Don't stress if your cooking skills don't stretch to Duck à l'Orange. Most of the time a simple favourite is going to make more of an impact than something fancy. If you know your partner's favourite food, you're guaranteed to win points by making it for them. If not, we've got your back. Here's our top twenty five recipes to make your date night a sure success this February 14.
Five Top Valentine’s Day recipes:
1. For starters:
- 3 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crumbled herbed feta cheese
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed, cut in half
- In a small bowl, use a fork to combine crushed garlic and egg yolk. Place chicken breasts in a shallow glass dish and spread both sides with egg mixture. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight (recommended).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Place one half of the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured board. Place 1/2 cup spinach in the center of the pastry sheet. Remove one chicken breast from marinade, shaking off any excess, and place on top of spinach. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto over chicken, layer with half the sun-dried tomatoes, sprinkle with half the feta cheese, and top with 1/2 cup spinach. Fold pastry sheet around chicken, using fingers or fork to seal pastry seam. Place chicken seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat steps with the second half of the puff pastry sheet and remaining chicken breast.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Test by cutting through centre of chicken breast; if juices run clear, chicken is cooked.
2. For the main course:
- 6 Barilla all'Uovo lasagne sheets
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 zucchini, peeled into ribbons
- 1/2 cup light thickened cooking cream
- 2 tablespoons bought basil pesto
- 1 tomato, diced
- 12 Coles cooked prawns, peeled
- Cook the lasagne sheets in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 6 minutes or just until al dente, adding the peas in the last 2 minutes of cooking and the zucchini in the last 1 minute of cooking.
- Drain. (Don't worry if the lasagne sheets break up slightly.)
- Meanwhile, heat the cream and pesto in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half the lasagne sheets, zucchini, peas, tomato and prawns between two serving plates. Spoon over half the cream. Arrange the remaining lasagne sheets, zucchini, peas, tomato and prawns on top and spoon over the remaining sauce.
3. For dessert:
- 1/2 x 200g packet Kingston biscuits
- 30g butter, melted
- 1/4 cup thickened cream
- 45g block white chocolate, melted, cooled
- 125g fresh raspberries
- Icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- Place biscuits in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add butter. Process until just combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between two 2cm-deep, 10cm (base) heart-shaped loose-based fluted flan tins.
- Using the back of a metal teaspoon, press mixture over base and sides of tins. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Whisk cream until soft peaks form. Add chocolate. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold until well combined.
- Carefully remove biscuit cases from tins. Divide cream mixture between cases.
- Arrange raspberries on top. Serve.
4. Editor's favourite main:
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil
- olive oil
- 1 x 400 g tin of plum tomatoes
- 2 x 150 g skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 30 g Parmesan cheese
- 150 g dried spaghetti
- Peel and finely slice the garlic. Pick the basil leaves, then finely chop the stalks.
- Heat a splash of oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and basil stalks and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Tip the tinned tomatoes into the pan and squash them down with the back of a spoon. Fill the empty tomato tin with water and pour this in too. Season and simmer for 30 minutes, or until reduced, glossy and thick.
- Place the chicken breasts on a board and cover with a double layer of clingfilm. Bash with a saucepan to flatten them to 5mm thick.
- Tip the flour into one bowl, then crack and beat the eggs in a second bowl. Add the breadcrumbs to a third, finely grate in half of the Parmesan, then shake to combine.
- Coat the chicken in the flour, then the egg and finally in the cheesy breadcrumbs, until thoroughly coated.
- Heat a lug of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the chicken for 3 to 4 mins on each side, or until golden and the meat is cooked through.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions, then drain and add to the tomato sauce, loosening with a little of the cooking water if needed.
- Serve the pasta alongside the crispy chicken, with the remaining Parmesan and basil leaves scattered over.
5. Editor's favourite dessert
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp. ice water
- 3 c. pie weights, dry beans or rice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 c. very cold heavy cream
- 1/2 c. store-bought dulce de leche
- 1 1/2 lb. Strawberries, sliced
- Confectioner's sugar, for serving
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar to combine. Add the butter and pulse to form fine crumbs. Add the water and pulse until the dough comes together. Refrigerate until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-inch removable bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into an 11-inch round. Fit into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan, then cut off and discard any excess. Chill for 15 minutes. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet. Gently line the inside of the crust with non stick foil and fill with pie weights, dry beans or rice. Bake for 20 minutes. Discard the beans or rice and foil and return to the oven until lightly golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool completely.
- While the crust is cooling, using and electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sour cream and beat to combine. With the mixer on low, gradually add the heavy cream, mixing until fully incorporated. Increase the speed and beat until the mixture has thickened and doubled in volume, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the dulce de leche evenly over the bottom of the crust. Spoon the cream cheese mixture on top, gently spreading to smooth. Top with strawberries. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight. Dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving, if desired.
Other Valentine's Day Recipes to try
- Nigella Lawson - Linguine with chilli, crab and watercress
- Nigella Lawson - Chicken schnitzel with bacon and white wine
- Jamie Oliver - Tomato and red wine chorizo risotto
- Donna Hay - Bacon and rosemary roasted lamb
- Nigella Lawson - Linguine with lemon,garlic, thyme and mushrooms
- Delish - Lemon pepper chicken
- Womans Day - Red wine beef ragu
Top sites to buy cookware 2020
Best additions to your kitchen
Dom Perignon Rose
10L Multiple-Function Air Fryer
Italian Cheese Making Kit
Pukara Estate Ultimate Pantry Gift Pack
Alfresco Picnic Basket with Accessories
Seasons Decanter Set & 6 Tumblers
Gordon Ramsay Ultimate Fit Food
The Book Depository
Russell Hobbs 3-In-1 Classic Hand Blender
Mug Cakes: 40 Speedy Cakes to Make in a Microwave
The Book Depository
Chocolate Making Workshop
At My Table: A Celebration of Home Cooking
Donna Hay The New Easy Cookbook
5 Ingredients: Quick & Easy Food
Basics to Brilliance
Looking to cook up a storm? See the latest shopping offers
Popular Valentine's Day Deals coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|30 Oct 2020||Date night alert! Get the perfect outfit at ASOS||********|
|13 Feb 2020||Best-selling flowers and gifts from just $59.99||********|
|11 Feb 2020||FREE delivery||********|
|26 Mar 2019||Buy one, get one FREE Bvlgari, Versace fragrances & more||********|
|29 Jan 2019||Up to 33% off flowers + FREE shipping||********|
- Sexy gifts to get your partner this Valentine’s Day 2020
- The sexiest lingerie and underwear for Valentine’s Day 2020
- Valentine’s Day hair ideas to inspire your date night 2020
- Easy and romantic Valentine’s Day makeup ideas for any kind of date 2020
- 21 Valentine’s Day nail ideas to fall in love with for 2020
Main image: Pinterest
More guides on Finder
Best home business ideas (2020)
From consultancy work and pet sitting to vlogging and being a virtual assistant, check out these 25 home business ideas that can help you to achieve a better work-life balance.
11 remote Airbnbs you can work from in 2020
From tiny houses to luxurious beachfront properties and rainforest cottages, see our top choices for remote Airbnbs to work from in Australia.
Top 6 eco-friendly hotels in Singapore 2020
Take your pick of these eco-friendly hotels in Singapore that promote sustainability.
Top 11 eco-friendly resorts in Fiji for 2020
Book your stay with peace of mind at these Fiji eco resorts.
Top 10 eco-friendly hotels and resorts in Vietnam for 2020
Find out our top picks of eco-friendly accommodation in Vietnam and what you need to know for a more sustainable holiday.
Valentine’s Day travel deals for the ultimate date
Forgot to get something for your other half? These deals will save your bacon.
1 in 2 Aussies ditching date night this Valentine’s Day
1 in 2 Aussies will be ditching date night this Valentine's Day. Find out how to do Valentine's Day without breaking the bank.
Top 8 eco-friendly resorts in Thailand for 2020
From nests in the treetops to villas with private infinity pools, there are plenty of sustainable and eco-friendly resorts in Thailand to choose from.
Sexy gifts to get your partner this Valentine’s Day 2020
If you're aiming to please this Valentine's Day, look no further than these sensual and seductive gift ideas.
The sexiest lingerie and underwear for Valentine’s Day 2020
Surprise your sweetheart this Valentine's Day with one of these seductive underwear sets.
Ask an Expert