How to use your smartphone as a Netflix remote
Avoid the clunky menus of Netflix Australia by controlling it from your smartphone.
Vodafone NBN Essential+ Unlimited 50/20 Mbps 24 Month
NBN ConnectionOffer: Enjoy free Netflix for 12 months. Offer ends 30.06.2018
Min. Total Cost of $1896.00
Despite all the wonderful, amazing things that Netflix Australia has brought us, there’s one needlessly confusing aspect that we can’t seem to wrap our heads around– navigation. As we’ve learnt recently, a majority of Netflix traffic comes from recommendations and less and less people are hitting that little search glass icon and hunting for a particular title.
And, if you’re running Netflix Australia from a Smart TV then just forget it, because inputting text with a television remote is aggravating at best. But never fear timid Netflix user, because finder.com.au has found the solution, using your smartphone as a remote for Netflix Australia.
Need even more TV in your life? Try these free streaming trials:
Click to gain instant and unlimited access to the latest shows on Foxtel Now
Watch the latest reality TV with a 30-day free trial
Note: We’ve only had the chance to test this method out on Wii U and PS4.
- Start by connecting both your smartphone and viewing device (Smart TV, PS4, Wii U etc.) to your home Wi-Fi.
- Launch the Netflix application from both your Smartphone and designated viewing device.
- Make sure that both devices are logged into the one account.
- Select the ‘Cast Icon’ in the bottom right-hand corner of your mobile screen.
- Once you hit that button, you will see a list of connected devices appear. Select the device you wish to connect to.
- Done! You can now rewind, fast-forward, pause, go to the menu, all from the convenience of your mobile device. It’s kind of like having a really expensive remote control.
Is your phone too old to handle Netflix? Maybe you should consider upgrading to one of these:
- New on Netflix Australia and Stan in June 2018: Farewell Sense8, we hardly know youse
- Where to watch Fahrenheit 451 online in Australia
- The Fab Five are coming to Sydney to celebrate Queer Eye Season 2
- Where to watch the 2018 UEFA Champions League Final online in Australia
- Gem Finder: Happy! Is the most bonkers show you’ll binge this year
Data deals on finder
Find out when the NBN is coming to your area with our tracker.
Buy an annual pass for $69 and save on NordVPN's secure browsing
Ask an Expert