How to use your smartphone as a Netflix remote
Avoid the clunky menus of Netflix Australia by controlling it from your smartphone.
Despite all the wonderful, amazing things that Netflix Australia has brought us, there’s one needlessly confusing aspect that we can’t seem to wrap our heads around– navigation. As we’ve learnt recently, a majority of Netflix traffic comes from recommendations and less and less people are hitting that little search glass icon and hunting for a particular title.
And, if you’re running Netflix Australia from a Smart TV then just forget it, because inputting text with a television remote is aggravating at best. But never fear timid Netflix user, because finder.com.au has found the solution, using your smartphone as a remote for Netflix Australia.
Need even more TV in your life? Try these free streaming trials:
Watch the latest reality TV with a 30-day free trial from hayu
Take advantage of hayu's limited 30-day month trial and access thousands of hours of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Made in Chelsea and so much more.View details
Note: We’ve only had the chance to test this method out on Wii U and PS4.
- Start by connecting both your smartphone and viewing device (Smart TV, PS4, Wii U etc.) to your home Wi-Fi.
- Launch the Netflix application from both your Smartphone and designated viewing device.
- Make sure that both devices are logged into the one account.
- Select the ‘Cast Icon’ in the bottom right-hand corner of your mobile screen.
- Once you hit that button, you will see a list of connected devices appear. Select the device you wish to connect to.
- Done! You can now rewind, fast-forward, pause, go to the menu, all from the convenience of your mobile device. It’s kind of like having a really expensive remote control.
Is your phone too old to handle Netflix? Maybe you should consider upgrading to one of these:
- Where to watch Riverdale Season 3 online in Australia
- Netflix Australia vs Prime Video: Price, content and features compared
- Stan is giving eBay Plus subscribers 3 months free access to its movie and TV library
- This week in streaming: Netflix brings back Wilson Fisk and Supergirl swoops back onto Foxtel
- Gem Finder: Starring Jim Carrey, Kidding is both heartbreaking and hilarious