Cheap flights to America for 2021
Special offers and fares on flights to America from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The United States of America is filled with big cities and natural wonders. Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco on the west coast are closest to Australia and you will enjoy favourable weather year round. Visitors to New York on the east coast can marvel at the snow in winter.
The easiest way for Australian travellers to reach the United States is to fly non-stop to Los Angeles from Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne with Qantas, Virgin Australia, Delta and United Airlines. There are a number of connecting options from other Australian airports to New York, San Francisco and beyond. It's very common for Australia travellers to transit through Los Angeles since it's one of the busiest airports in the world with around half of the arriving passengers connecting to another flight.
See our latest USA flight deals
How much are flights to America?
With LAX, JFK Airport, Dallas Fort Worth Airport and O'Hare International Airport being some of the most popular airports in the United States, here's what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a flight from Australia to America.
America flight time
- From Sydney: Approximately 14 hrs + when flying direct to Los Angeles International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 15 hrs + when flying direct to Los Angeles International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 13 hrs + when flying direct to Los Angeles International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 20 hrs + with one stopover, landing at Los Angeles International Airport
Airlines that fly to America
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
- Virgin Australia
- If you’re not looking to fly direct to Los Angeles, then a common option is to fly with an Asian carrier such as China Eastern, China Southern or Korean Air. You could also fly to Auckland with Air New Zealand or to Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines. From these transit airports, you can take a direct flight to other parts of North and South America.
- Save yourself time and money by booking your flight to America on one ticket. This means that if there’s a delay and you miss your flight, the airline will accommodate you on the next departure. Delays are common with strict security measures in force at US airports. If this happens and you’ve booked separate flights, then you may end up bearing the cost.
- Once you’re in the United States, there are local budget airlines, such as JetBlue, Southwest and Spirit Airlines, to get you to your destination. America occupies a vast territory and many major cities have more than one airport. Don’t get caught out by accidentally booking a cheap onward flight that departs from a different airport than the one you arrive at as getting there could cost you time and money.
- While flights from the east coast of Australia take 12-14 hours to Los Angeles, you’re looking at around 20 hours to get to New York. Travellers from Perth can fly to the Big Apple via Asia or the Middle East with an airline such as Etihad or Emirates.
- You will need to acquire an ESTA visa before entering the United States, even if you're transiting to a different country. You must apply for your visa at least 72 hours before your flight departs, so it is best to apply as soon as you book your flights to avoid any dilemmas.
You’ll generally find reliable public transport from most major American airports as well as taxis, car-sharing services and Uber. Official porters outside the terminals can help you with your luggage and will expect a $1-$2 tip. You should also tip taxi drivers around 10% of the fare total. If you’re planning a road trip, then you can book a car in advance with any of the major car rental companies and get picked up at the airport. Passengers travelling onwards will find convenient shuttle services between terminals at all major airports.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has a shuttle bus connecting it to the public Metro Line and to popular destinations around Los Angeles. New York’s JFK airport has an economical AirTrain system connecting passengers to the New York subway line and bus services. From Las Vegas McCarran International (LAS), shuttle buses and public buses from the arrivals terminals serve hotels on or around The Strip. In Washington D.C., Reagan National Airport (DCA) has its own subway stop while Dulles International Airport (IAD) has an express shuttle service to the Metrorail.
More guides on Finder
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
CheapOair Black Friday deals in 2021
Score cheap flights locally and internationally with CheapOair's Black Friday deals.
Qantas: Why ultra-long-haul is still the future
Airlines can survive coronavirus by pivoting to longer flights, as Linus Bauer from the University of London explains.
Queensland travel restrictions | What’s open in April 2021?
Here’s everything you need to know about travelling in Australia’s sunshine state in April 2021.
Tasmania travel restrictions | Where you can go in April 2021
Read our up-to-date guide on the accommodation, tourist attractions and travel services open in Tasmania as well as any rules and restrictions you should know about.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
From tropical, offshore islands to scintillating wine regions, we've rounded up the best places to visit around the state .
Cheap flights to Christchurch you can book in 2021
From deals to travel times to airlines, we’ve got the information you need to book your flight to Christchurch.
8 ways to support the travel industry during COVID-19
Easy ways you can help out a travel company and its staff that's been impacted by COVID-19 without leaving your home.
Cheap Flights of the Week: Australia, Europe and Asia
See this week's round-up of hot airfares to destinations around the world.
Hit up Europe from $1,025 return with this Singapore Airlines sale
EXPIRED: One of the world's best airlines has just made your globe trotting dreams a little bit cheaper.
Ask an Expert