Urban Company review
This international home services firm could be your one-stop shop for getting jobs done around the home.
If you’re looking to spruce up your home or garden in Sydney, then Urban Company may have a solution to offer.
Urban Company offers an easy-to-use online platform so you can access a verified service professional at a time that suits. Getting a job booked in fast and conveniently will mean you can turn your attention to other tasks around the home.
Read on to find out how Urban Company works, including the key services you can utilise.
Who is Urban Company?
Urban Company is an online booking platform that matches Syndey residents with home service providers on-demand. The startup traces its roots to Delhi, in India, where it was founded in 2014. Urban Company launched in Australia in 2019. At the time of writing, its other international markets are Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Singapore.
In Australia, cleaning has got the most cut through for the company and plans are afoot to expand into window cleaning. Urban Company rebranded from UrbanClap early in 2020.
What services does Urban Company offer?
Currently, Urban Company lists the following categories on its website for domestic services in Syndey:
- Home cleaning. You can free up your busy schedule by hiring a house cleaner.
- End-of-lease cleans. Ensure you return your rental property in a condition that will get your bond returned to you in full.
- Gardening. Find a gardener for a range of tasks, such as mowing the lawn or trimming hedges.
- Carpet & upholstery cleaning. Get those pesky stains removed and revive your carpet.
- Handyman services. Sort out the little jobs around your home by employing a handyman.
How the service works
To book a job with Urban Company, you can use their app or website. The typical steps are as follows:
- Choose your service. Once you've searched for the category you need, you'll complete a short form. Simply choose your package, along with any additional services and optional instructions for your worker.
- Make a booking. Urban Company is upfront about its pricing and lists the main costs while you complete the form. After you've made a booking, you'll get a text, email or WhatsApp message as confirmation. A professional will be assigned to you one hour before your booked time.
- Await the worker. You assigned worker will reach the address you've provided and undertake the job.
If you need to reschedule your appointment for another time, you may select a new preferred time slot if it's available.
Either the worker or an employee of Urban Company will get in touch if there's an issue with the job start time on their side.
Who is Urban Company aimed at?
Urban Company can help homeowners and renters alike with a range of tasks around their homes. The company works to take the hassle out of the admin linked to home services. You might benefit if you're looking to source and hire expertise without having to manage the process offline. If you're not fully satisfied with the worker you've sourced through Urban Company, you may find it's less awkward to let them go and find a replacement.
How much does it cost?
The cost you're charged will vary depending on factors such as the type of job you book and its size. For example, home cleaning services are charged on a per-room basis.
You can pay for your service using a debit card, credit card or Paypal. You also have the option to make a payment once the work's been completed - this includes paying by cash. But keep in mind that Urban Company's insurance protection only applies if you pay online via the app or on the website.
Pros and cons of Urban Company
- It's easy to book a job via Urban Company's mobile app or website.
- As with other online platforms like Airtasker, there's no up-front charge to join or use the service.
- Urban Company says it uses 'verified and trained professionals' to complete the work.
- There's a $20 bonus available for you and each friend you refer.
- A 100% bond back guarantee applies to all end-of-lease cleans.
- As it's early days for the company in Australia, online reviews are fairly limited. Urban Company scores 4.0 from 56 reviews on Trustpilot.
- Some complaints have been made online about poor customer service.
Urban Company has an international presence but is a relatively new player in the crowded home services market in Sydney. The brand can offer value and convenience through a simple pricing structure and an easy-to-book service. What's more, it can all be done through your smartphone if you prefer.
This type of online platform perhaps comes into its own if you're looking for quick service, such as a last-minute clean, and you're keen to avoid poring over local business directories. For more complex jobs that'll require some more planning and communication, you may still choose to go for an established service provider that you have more direct engagement with. Ultimately, it's your call to make.