Review: United Currency Exchange foreign currency exchange service
Get competitive exchange rates and no fees when you exchange currency with Melbourne's United Currency Exchange.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
- Competitive rates
- No fees
- Travel money
- Supporting all major currencies
Not so great for
- Card payments
- Overseas transfers
- People who aren't based in Melbourne or Sydney
What's in this guide?
- United Currency Exchange exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What types of transactions can you make with United Currency Exchange?
- How long does an order with United Currency Exchange take?
- What payment methods does United Currency Exchange accept?
- Is United Currency Exchange safe to use?
- How to register an account
- How do I buy foreign currency with United Currency Exchange?
- What is United Currency Exchange?
- In a nutshell
- How does United Currency Exchange compare with other providers?
United Currency Exchange exchange rates and fees
United Currency Exchange offers competitive exchange rates on all transactions, but rates differ instore and online. The company claims this is because instore rates are updated every 10 seconds while online rates are updated every 60 seconds. However, there are no fees or commissions charged on currency exchange transactions.
United Currency Exchange allows you to buy and sell more than 35 currencies, including:
- CAD Canadian dollar
- CNY Chinese yuan
- EUR euro
- GBP Great British pound
- JPY Japanese yen
- NZD New Zealand dollar
- CHF Swiss franc
- USD US dollar
What types of transactions can you make with United Currency Exchange?
Please note that United Currency Exchange is not an international money transfer service, but instead offers foreign currency exchange to travellers. It allows you to exchange one currency for another in two ways:
- Instore orders. You can physically visit one of the company's locations in the CBD in either Melbourne or Sydney to exchange your cash. A pre-order feature is also available if you want to ensure that the store has sufficient stock of the currency you need.
- Online orders. The second option is to order currency online through the United Currency Exchange website, pay from your bank account using BPAY, and then collect your currency instore.
How long does an order with United Currency Exchange take?
Order processing times vary depending on the method you choose:
- Instore orders: Available within minutes (provided sufficient stock is available).
- Online orders: Available for collection at least 3-5 business days after United Currency Exchange receives payment.
What payment methods does United Currency Exchange accept?
United Currency Exchange only supports two payment methods:
- Cash (for instore orders only)
- BPAY (for online orders only)
Is United Currency Exchange safe to use?
- Security and regulation: Regulated by ASIC and AUSTRAC.
- Established: 2006
- AML/CTF: Anti-money laundering/counter-terrorism financing procedures in place.
United Currency Exchange has been operating since 2006 and is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). It is licensed to exchange one currency for another under the Corporations Act 2001 (the Act) - Sect 765A.
The company is also registered with the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) as a foreign currency exchange dealer. It implements anti-money laundering/counter-terrorism financing procedures to prevent fraud and must lodge an annual compliance report with AUSTRAC.
How does United Currency Exchange make money?
As United Currency Exchange doesn't charge any fees or commissions, it makes money off a margin it adds to the mid-market exchange rate. The margin is the difference between the mid-market exchange rate (the rate you'll see quoted on Google or XE) and the rate at which the provider sells currency to you.
This means it's essential to consider both exchange rates and fees when working out whether a money exchange service offers good value for money.
How to register an account
If exchanging currency instore, there is no need to register for an account with United Currency Exchange. However, if you want to place an online order, you'll need to fill out an online form and provide proof of ID. Here's what to do:
How do I buy foreign currency with United Currency Exchange?
The steps for placing an online order are outlined in the section above. To collect your order, visit your chosen United Currency Exchange location at the nominated pick-up time. Remember to take your confirmation email and the ID document you used during the ordering process with you to collect your funds.
If you want to place an instore order, visit one of United Currency Exchange's locations in the Melbourne CBD or Sydney CBD. Remember to take cash with you as this is the only accepted form of payment instore.
What is United Currency Exchange?
United Currency Exchange is a foreign currency exchange dealer based in Australia. Founded in 2006, it specialises in meeting the travel money needs of Australians preparing to head overseas as well as international visitors to Australia. The company has three locations in the Melbourne CBD and one in Sydney's CBD.
In a nutshell
- Order online or instore. You have the flexibility to order foreign currency online or by visiting United Currency Exchange in person.
- Competitive exchange rates. United Currency Exchange regularly offers better rates than the major banks.
- Major currencies supported. United Currency Exchange allows you to purchase a wide range of major global currencies.
- Open 7 days. The service is open 9:30am to 9pm Monday to Friday and from 10am to 6:30pm on weekends.
- Need to collect currency in person. You'll need to be able to visit one of United Currency Exchange's cash collection locations in person to collect the currency you order.
- Limited locations. United Currency Exchange has three locations in Melbourne and one in Sydney.
- Not suited for fast transfers. United Currency Exchange is designed to allow international travellers to purchase foreign currency. If you're looking for a fast way to send cash overseas, there are other money transfer services that will better suit your needs.
- Only accepts cash and BPAY. Instore orders must be paid for with cash and online orders can only be purchased with BPAY, so if you want to pay via bank transfer or credit card you'll need to look elsewhere.
How does United Currency Exchange compare with other providers?
Check out the table below to see how United Currency Exchange's transaction fees, exchange rates and transfer times compare to those of other foreign cash providers and money transfer services.
More guides on Finder
ThinkMarkets review Australia: ASX share trading
Trade ASX shares and ETFs with commissions starting at $8.
Cryptocurrency security: End to end guide on keeping your crypto safe
SPONSORED: Your crypto is only worth something if you don’t lose it. Here’s how to keep it safe from start to finish.
Review: CoinField cryptocurrency exchange
Learn more about the CoinField cryptocurrency exchange in this review.
Review: Crypto.com cryptocurrency app and exchange
Learn more about the Crypto.com platform in our complete review.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
How do we rank share trading platforms?
Online broker fees and features can be complicated, this is how we've compared them.
Beginner’s guide to cryptocurrency tax in Australia
A beginner’s guide to your cryptocurrency tax obligations and how the ATO is targeting digital currency holdings in 2019.
Submission to the ACCC foreign currency conversion services inquiry
Finder's submission in response to the ACCC foreign currency conversion services inquiry.
Best wireless and Bluetooth keyboards in Australia 2020
Cut yourself free from wires and boost your home office productivity with one of the best wireless keyboards you can get online.
Upwork freelance jobs website review
You can employ freelancers quickly using Upwork, or get a new remote job. Here's how.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert