Involuntary Unemployment Cover in Australia

Can I take out unemployment insurance cover in Australia?

You can get cover for involuntary unemployment if your policy is from a general insurer. There are a number of policies offered by general insurance companies in Australia that will provide a payout for a defined number of months for a maximum amount. Some income protection policies will offer an additional option that covers redundancy for a limited amount of time.

Income protection policies that cover involuntary redundancy options

Product details Maximum cover Maximum Entry Age Cooling-off
Income Protection
Income Protection
Receive up to 50% of your Income Cover to a maximum of $3,000 per month for up to three months if you’re made redundant, bankrupt or insolvent. $3,000 59 30 Get quoteMore info
Insuranceline Income Protection
Insuranceline Income Protection
Cover up to 85% of your income (up to $3,000 per month) if you become involuntarily unemployed or if your business becomes insolvent. Note: Maximum length of time is 3 months. $3,000 60 30 Get quoteMore info

Conditions apply. Always consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before making a decision to apply.

Can I get cover for longer than 3 months?

General insurance brands who offer pure unemployment insurance can cover you for longer than 3 months.

How else can income protection help me if I become unemployed?

In addition to these general insurance policies, there are number of features available on policies from income protection policies that while not providing a benefit payment, will provide other support to the policyholder during this period e.g. a premium freeze.

Involuntary unemployment cover from general insurance providers

The growth in the number of people looking for protection in the event that they are made unemployed has given rise to a number of general insurance companies offering an unemployment cover option. Redundancy cover usually provides an ongoing contribution of 75% of the policyholders regular income, usually up to three months.

What are some conditions around cover?

Applicants must be aware of the restrictions of this feature and the criteria for them to receive a payout. Most of these policies will require;

  • The policyholder to prove that their loss of job was in no way related to their performance but a result of the businesses financial strength.
  • In order to receive the benefit, the policyholder must not be receiving any other form of income whatsoever. This includes payment from a casual or part-time position.
  • The employee to have been employed continuously for a specified period (usually around 6 months).
  • Employee will only receive a benefit payment after a number of weeks, from being employed.
  • Payment not provided to people finishing seasonal or contract work.
  • The employee must provide evidence that they are genuinely looking for new employment.

What does this mean for the policyholder?

  • They are dependent on their savings for the period between redundancy and when the benefit will be paid.
  • Benefits will cease once the policyholder has obtained paid work. This may be part-time or full-time employment.
  • Can be extremely difficult to show that their loss of job was not related to their performance whatsoever. This is especially the case if they were let go at a time when only a portion of the company lost their position.
  • Workers employed on a contract basis are not able to take out cover.

Taking each of these points into consideration, the applicant must really consider their own position. While the benefit payment might provide some support for a short period of time, most workers will still be entitled to some form of redundancy benefit from their company. Policyholders must weigh up the restrictions of the policy and what they will be paying in premium payments to assess whether they really stand to gain much in the long run.

Income protection insurance and unemployment cover from life insurers

There are some policies available that will give certain support to customers that become involuntarily unemployed.

Unemployment cover benefit

Commonwealth Banks Income Protection Policy Income Care will provide a benefit to cover the minimum monthly loan repayments held with commonwealth bank for a maximum period of three months. This means that if the policyholder has a mortgage or credit card debt held with Commonwealth Bank, they will cover the minimum monthly repayments on that debt for a 3 month period.

Unemployment waiver of premium

This feature means that the policyholders premium payments will be waived if they made involuntarily unemployed. This waiver will only be available for a certain number of months and they will usually have to show evidence that they are actively seeking a new line of employment.

Richard Laycock

Richard is the senior insurance writer at finder.com.au and is on a mission to make insurance easier to understand.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At finder.com.au we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the finder.com.au privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to finder.com.au and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question