So many zeroes, so little time. Here's how to interpret to baby clothes sizes.
If you’ve never had a child, the idea of navigating the confusing world of infant’s clothing can seem intimidating to say the least – especially if you’re purchasing a baby gift and don’t have any idea what size the baby is.
This guide takes the majority of the guesswork out of the equation – and don’t forget, if you’re seriously frazzled you can always ask other parents for advice. Make sure to check out our baby sales and discounts before you buy!
1. Size 00000
The smallest on the market, size 00000 is designed to fit babies who are born prematurely or are particularly small. As a general rule, they weigh less than 2kg and are under 55cm in length.
2. Size 0000
If you’re buying clothes for a newborn baby, this is generally a safe bet for the size to buy – unless you’ve heard specifically that they’re bigger or smaller than average. The average weight for this size is 3kg and the height is approximately 55cm.
3. Size 000
This size is generally the best size for babies who are up to 3 months old. Granted you’ll want to pay heed to the baby’s genes – if both parents are tall, you may want to double check. The weight for this size goes up to 6kg and 62cm in length.
4. Size 00
Once you get to this size you’ll find yourself facing a world of possibilities because options definitely start to become more varied. On average this size is for babies between 3 and 6 months old, weighing up to 8kg and measuring 68cm in length.
5. Size 0
If you’re buying clothes in this size, congratulations – this is the easiest size to find as it’s generally fairly standard across the board. It’s intended for babies between 6 and 12 months old, weighing up to 10kg and measuring 76cm.
6. Size 1
Buying clothes in size 1, on average, means you’re probably buying clothes for a first birthday (or close to it), as the size is intended for babies between 12 and 18 months old. Babies wearing this size tend to weigh up to 12kg and measure 84cm.
7. Size 2
The largest baby-specific size for a lot of brands, size 2 is designed for babies who are 18 to 24 months old. Weighing 14kg on average and 92cm in length, these babies are well on their way to growing into toddlers.
Important tips to remember when buying baby clothes
Buying baby clothes isn’t as straightforward as walking into a store and picking the first thing you find. Now that you’ve worked out the sizing, here are a few things you may want to keep in mind when you go shopping.
- If in doubt, opt for a larger size so that the baby can grow into it.
- Keep the weather in mind – no use buying a sundress in the middle of winter! Babies grow quickly. That sundress won’t fit by the time summer comes back around.
- Don’t feel like you’re obliged to stick to stereotypical “boy colours” and “girl colours”.
- Babies don’t really care what they wear most of the time, but the parents do.
- Keep it simple. You may be tempted to buy the cutest outfit with the fluffy ears and the bunny tail, but unnecessary hoods and appendages can be a hazard to newborns. It can also preclude them from sleeping in it; something that babies need to do frequently.
- Don’t choose anything that is too hard to put on or take off. Babies need to be changed frequently and clothes that are challenging to take off are a real challenge for parents.
- Anything easy to put on will earn you bonus points.
Top rated sites to buy baby clothes
Baby goes Retro
Baby goes Retro
Sales and discounts on now
Popular David Jones coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|1 May 2014||Baby goes Retro - Enjoy $50 off your orders over $300||BGR****|
|24 May 2019||Up to 30% off home appliances + complimentary delivery||********|
|24 May 2019||Up to 60% off fashion, shoes & accessories||********|
|24 May 2019||Up to 50% off women's clothing by Acler, Maticevski & more||********|
|24 May 2019||30% off designer handbags||********|