What we know about Under Armour’s fitness-tracking HOVR sneakers
Image: Under Armour
See where to buy the Under Armour HOVR sneakers that can directly link to a fitness tracking app.
High-performance sportswear brand Under Armour has recently released its latest suite of sneakers. And these new shoes come with a twist. This particular drop of sneakers called "HOVR" have the ability to help you track your fitness.
The quick verdict
What are they? High-tech sneakers that connect to a fitness tracking app.
How much are they? The five pairs are between $180 and $220 each.
How? Well, each pair of shoes comes with a chip embedded in the sole. And this chip connects digitally to the MapMyRun app. If you're a serious runner, you'll know that this is a game-changer. This particular method of tracking can unlock access to very specific performance data, things that a regular wearable fitness tracker just can't measure. Some of the key metrics these shoes can measure include distance, pace, splits, cadence and stride length.
All of this data feeds directly back into the MapMyRun app which can then provide a tailored and essentially personalised coaching experience that can seriously help runners improve their form.
And before you start to worry about the embedded chip being damaged or the battery dying, don't worry. Under Armour has said that the sensor is protected from the elements and will last the lifetime of the shoe without needing a charge. So you won't need to start charging your sneakers before bed or anything crazy like that.
The five different pairs of sneakers in the HOVR range have all been designed with specific circumstances and needs in mind. The pairs are:
- The UA HOVR Infinite – created for distance training and designed to provide the runner with a consistent underfoot feel through an infinite number of miles. RRP: $200
- The UA HOVR Guardian – designed to manage over-pronation. RRP: $220
- The UA HOVR Velociti – created for a smooth, light and snappy run and designed for tempo training. RRP: $200
- The UA HOVR Sonic 2 – created for an easy ride and designed for more lockdown support over the top of the foot. RRP: $180
- The UA HOVR Phantom SE – created with a plush, luxurious feel and designed for breathability. RRP: $200
Where to buy
- MAFS’ Domenica drops her own fashion collection with Showpo
- STAX. activewear currently has 50% so hurry before it all sells out
- Crocs: Why they’re back in the news (and where to buy them)
- 9 sustainable fashion brands to shop this Earth Day (and everyday)
- Get back to the gym with these activewear deals: Up to 79% off