Uluru car hire deals and guide
Top car hire deals for your next Uluru road trip.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Uluru ranks in the top-ten list for Australia’s most famous landmarks. It’s even more impressive up close and the easiest way to experience its majestic presence is by car.
If you're thinking of setting out on a road trip to experience this natural wonder, we've perused the market to bring you the best car hire deals on offer to save you time and effort.
We've also got all the important facts on Uluru road rules, understanding car insurance and which rental companies are available from Ayers Rock airport.
Top car hire Uluru deals
Popular Car Hire coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|7 Oct 2020||$20 off nationwide rentals||FIN****|
|28 Sep 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Get 1 day free on Australia car hires||205****|
|21 Oct 2020||Free upgrade on Australia rentals||205****|
|21 Oct 2020||4th day free + free upgrade on Australia car hires||TPP****|
Road rules: What to know about driving in Uluru
Even if you're familiar with Australian roads, road rules and safety tips to be aware of include:
- Drive on the left: In Uluru, and everywhere else in Australia, you must drive on the left side of the road.
- Look out for wildlife: As you're driving through the countryside on unsealed roads, it's important to remain vigilant and look out for animals, which have a tendency to wander onto the road.
- Be wary of trucks: Roads leading to and through Uluru are frequented by trucks at all times of day. Remember to drive safely around them to avoid any potential accidents.
- Check to see how many kilometres are included in your hire: Most car hire companies in Uluru and Alice Springs don't include unlimited kilometres with your car hire. To avoid excess charges, check how many are included in your hire and plan accordingly.
Popular Uluru driving routes
- Alice Springs to Uluru: Experience the fun and freedom of a real outback road trip by driving from The Alice to The Rock. There are numerous must-see sights and adventures along the way including Stuarts Well (where you’ll experience the singing dingo), Finke River and Mt. Connor.
- Great Central Road: Although well-maintained, conditions along Central Road are changeable and require a vehicle with four-wheel drive. Early sights to spot include the Petermann Ranges and the Blood Range. You’ll also pass close to Lasseter’s Cave, and Len Beadell’s famous Gunbarrel Construction Company grader which is on display at Giles.
- Gunbarrel Highway: Completed in 2958, Gunbarrel Highway is a tough drive that has important historical significance. Passing through remote land, travellers are advised to bring ample supplies as there are no shops on the way. Four-wheeling is also extremely dangerous and should only be attempted with appropriate training and equipment.
FAQs about car hire
Who offers cheap car hire from Alice Springs airport?
How does car insurance work?
Car hire companies will often offer insurance for a fee, although you are never obliged to take it.
Car hire rental excess insurance can be taken to reduce your excess or remove it depending on the level of cover you obtain.
Before booking your hire, compare car hire insurance policies here to ensure you are properly covered at the very best price.
More guides on finder
4 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Where to book 4WD hire
Ready to hit the open road on an off-road adventure? Book your 4WD at these rental companies for less.
2021 Ute guide
Looking for a new ute? Don't buy one till you've read our 2021 ute guide
Every available electric car in Australia 2020 ranked
We've ranked every electric car available in Australia right now.
Soak up the sun at these 8 Noosa resorts
Pick the perfect resort for your next tropical getaway with our top picks on the Noosa coast.
Finder car insurance rating
Want to know how we ranked our car insurers? Check out our methodology here.
COVID Car-ching! 9 million Aussies could save on their car insurance
In recent Finder survey shows that 28% of Australians are not driving their cars as much as they were pre-pandemic.
Coles Roadside Assistance
Coles Roadside Assistance – affordable cover with your car insurance. Is it right for you?
2020 Audi Q3 Review
Audi's Q3 received consistently high marks from car reviewers. It's spacious, highly practical, well-designed, a planted ride, reasonable value for money, built to a high standard and it features superb tech.
How to plan a road trip for two | A couple of travel makers
Our personal tips and tricks on how to map out your road trip and what to pack for one smooth ride.
Ask an Expert