Uluru car hire deals and guide
Top car hire deals for your next Uluru road trip.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Uluru ranks in the top-ten list for Australia’s most famous landmarks. It’s even more impressive up close and the easiest way to experience its majestic presence is by car.
If you're thinking of setting out on a road trip to experience this natural wonder, we've perused the market to bring you the best car hire deals on offer to save you time and effort.
We've also got all the important facts on Uluru road rules, understanding car insurance and which rental companies are available from Ayers Rock airport.
Top car hire Uluru deals
Popular Car Hire coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|20 Jan 2021||Up to 15% off Australia rentals||HOL****|
|14 Dec 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|20 Jan 2021||Get 10% off NSW car hires||LOV****|
|18 Jan 2021||$20 off $200 car hires||FIN****|
|22 Jan 2021||Get up to 20% off 3+ day rentals||210****|
Road rules: What to know about driving in Uluru
Even if you're familiar with Australian roads, road rules and safety tips to be aware of include:
- Drive on the left: In Uluru, and everywhere else in Australia, you must drive on the left side of the road.
- Look out for wildlife: As you're driving through the countryside on unsealed roads, it's important to remain vigilant and look out for animals, which have a tendency to wander onto the road.
- Be wary of trucks: Roads leading to and through Uluru are frequented by trucks at all times of day. Remember to drive safely around them to avoid any potential accidents.
- Check to see how many kilometres are included in your hire: Most car hire companies in Uluru and Alice Springs don't include unlimited kilometres with your car hire. To avoid excess charges, check how many are included in your hire and plan accordingly.
Popular Uluru driving routes
- Alice Springs to Uluru: Experience the fun and freedom of a real outback road trip by driving from The Alice to The Rock. There are numerous must-see sights and adventures along the way including Stuarts Well (where you’ll experience the singing dingo), Finke River and Mt. Connor.
- Great Central Road: Although well-maintained, conditions along Central Road are changeable and require a vehicle with four-wheel drive. Early sights to spot include the Petermann Ranges and the Blood Range. You’ll also pass close to Lasseter’s Cave, and Len Beadell’s famous Gunbarrel Construction Company grader which is on display at Giles.
- Gunbarrel Highway: Completed in 2958, Gunbarrel Highway is a tough drive that has important historical significance. Passing through remote land, travellers are advised to bring ample supplies as there are no shops on the way. Four-wheeling is also extremely dangerous and should only be attempted with appropriate training and equipment.
FAQs about car hire
Who offers cheap car hire from Alice Springs airport?
How does car insurance work?
Car hire companies will often offer insurance for a fee, although you are never obliged to take it.
Car hire rental excess insurance can be taken to reduce your excess or remove it depending on the level of cover you obtain.
Before booking your hire, compare car hire insurance policies here to ensure you are properly covered at the very best price.
More guides on Finder
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Upcoming hybrid and electric car comparison
Compare soon-to-launch electric and hybrid cars.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Ask an Expert