Top car hire deals for your next Uluru road trip.
Uluru ranks in the top-ten list for Australia’s most famous landmarks. It’s even more impressive up close and the easiest way to experience its majestic presence is by car.
If you're thinking of setting out on a road trip to experience this natural wonder, we've perused the market to bring you the best car hire deals on offer to save you time and effort.
We've also got all the important facts on Uluru road rules, understanding car insurance and which rental companies are available from Ayers Rock airport.
Top car hire Uluru deals
Popular Car Hire coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|29 Oct 2018||$20 off first ride||did****|
|13 Nov 2018||10% off USA car hire + 30% off Legoland tickets||BCD****|
|24 Sep 2018||$30 off on car rental||SAV****|
|15 Nov 2018||Up to 15% off USA car hire + US$150 Universal Orlando Resort savings||AWD****|
|22 Oct 2018||Fifth day free SUV car hire||TPP****|
|24 Oct 2018||Up to 20% off base rate||********|
Road rules: What to know about driving in Uluru
Even if you're familiar with Australian roads, road rules and safety tips to be aware of include:
- Drive on the left: In Uluru, and everywhere else in Australia, you must drive on the left side of the road.
- Look out for wildlife: As you're driving through the countryside on unsealed roads, it's important to remain vigilant and look out for animals, which have a tendency to wander onto the road.
- Be wary of trucks: Roads leading to and through Uluru are frequented by trucks at all times of day. Remember to drive safely around them to avoid any potential accidents.
- Check to see how many kilometres are included in your hire: Most car hire companies in Uluru and Alice Springs don't include unlimited kilometres with your car hire. To avoid excess charges, check how many are included in your hire and plan accordingly.
Popular Uluru driving routes
- Alice Springs to Uluru: Experience the fun and freedom of a real outback road trip by driving from The Alice to The Rock. There are numerous must-see sights and adventures along the way including Stuarts Well (where you’ll experience the singing dingo), Finke River and Mt. Connor.
- Great Central Road: Although well-maintained, conditions along Central Road are changeable and require a vehicle with four-wheel drive. Early sights to spot include the Petermann Ranges and the Blood Range. You’ll also pass close to Lasseter’s Cave, and Len Beadell’s famous Gunbarrel Construction Company grader which is on display at Giles.
- Gunbarrel Highway: Completed in 2958, Gunbarrel Highway is a tough drive that has important historical significance. Passing through remote land, travellers are advised to bring ample supplies as there are no shops on the way. Four-wheeling is also extremely dangerous and should only be attempted with appropriate training and equipment.
FAQs about car hire
Who offers cheap car hire from Alice Springs airport?
How does car insurance work?
Car hire companies will often offer insurance for a fee, although you are never obliged to take it.
Car hire rental excess insurance can be taken to reduce your excess or remove it depending on the level of cover you obtain.
Before booking your hire, compare car hire insurance policies here to ensure you are properly covered at the very best price.