Uluru car hire deals and guide
Top car hire deals for your next Uluru road trip.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Uluru ranks in the top-ten list for Australia’s most famous landmarks. It’s even more impressive up close and the easiest way to experience its majestic presence is by car.
If you're thinking of setting out on a road trip to experience this natural wonder, we've perused the market to bring you the best car hire deals on offer to save you time and effort.
We've also got all the important facts on Uluru road rules, understanding car insurance and which rental companies are available from Ayers Rock airport.
Top car hire Uluru deals
Road rules: What to know about driving in Uluru
Even if you're familiar with Australian roads, road rules and safety tips to be aware of include:
- Drive on the left: In Uluru, and everywhere else in Australia, you must drive on the left side of the road.
- Look out for wildlife: As you're driving through the countryside on unsealed roads, it's important to remain vigilant and look out for animals, which have a tendency to wander onto the road.
- Be wary of trucks: Roads leading to and through Uluru are frequented by trucks at all times of day. Remember to drive safely around them to avoid any potential accidents.
- Check to see how many kilometres are included in your hire: Most car hire companies in Uluru and Alice Springs don't include unlimited kilometres with your car hire. To avoid excess charges, check how many are included in your hire and plan accordingly.
Popular Uluru driving routes
- Alice Springs to Uluru: Experience the fun and freedom of a real outback road trip by driving from The Alice to The Rock. There are numerous must-see sights and adventures along the way including Stuarts Well (where you’ll experience the singing dingo), Finke River and Mt. Connor.
- Great Central Road: Although well-maintained, conditions along Central Road are changeable and require a vehicle with four-wheel drive. Early sights to spot include the Petermann Ranges and the Blood Range. You’ll also pass close to Lasseter’s Cave, and Len Beadell’s famous Gunbarrel Construction Company grader which is on display at Giles.
- Gunbarrel Highway: Completed in 2958, Gunbarrel Highway is a tough drive that has important historical significance. Passing through remote land, travellers are advised to bring ample supplies as there are no shops on the way. Four-wheeling is also extremely dangerous and should only be attempted with appropriate training and equipment.
FAQs about car hire
Who offers cheap car hire from Alice Springs airport?
How does car insurance work?
Car hire companies will often offer insurance for a fee, although you are never obliged to take it.
Car hire rental excess insurance can be taken to reduce your excess or remove it depending on the level of cover you obtain.
Before booking your hire, compare car hire insurance policies here to ensure you are properly covered at the very best price.
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Ask an Expert