Spelunky creator shows off upcoming psuedo-retro compilation UFO 50
Check out a few of the 80s-inspired retro titles designed by some of the best indies in the business.
Derek Yu, creator of the dungeon-delving phenomenon Spelunky, has taken to the Twitch stage at PAX West to introduce some of the games that'll feature in UFO 50, an upcoming game collection he's working on with the indie developers behind Downwell, Time Barons, Skorpulac and Madhouse.
Of the 50 games included in the collection, Yu showcased Caramel Caramel, a side-scrolling shooter; Pingolf, an intriguing mash-up of pinball, golf and pachinko; Attactics, a multiplayer tactics game with a hint of Clash Royale; and Star Waspir, a vertical shooter in the vein of 1942.
Yu says that all of the games included in UFO 50 will be full-fledged titles, rather than mere mini-games. Though they're being designed to channel nostalgia for similar compilation games from the 80s, Yu and company are applying modern game design sensibilities to avoid the frustration of cheap deaths and obtuse puzzles games which that era thrived on.
UFO 50 is planned for a PC release in 2018, with other platforms to follow.
- Razer Blade 15 and Core X revealed: Everything you need to know
- Perth will be the first to turn when the zombie apocalypse hits
- Where to find the best price on State of Decay 2 in Australia
- Battle Royale: Treyarch says it will “do it best and better than” Fortnite, PUBG
- Rick and Morty Virtual Rick-ality Review: Show Me What You Got (in VR)