Rent a car to drive with Uber in Wollongong
Cruise around Wollongong and earn money with Uber through a car hire company that offers Uber-ready vehicles.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
If you’re looking to sign up as an Uber driver in Wollongong either full-time or just to make some extra cash, you have the option of getting a vehicle that allows you to drive for Uber. It helps if you’re a local as well so you know the best routes for getting around. A rental vehicle allows you the freedom to drive without the burden of car ownership or having a vehicle that fails to meet Uber’s criteria. Read on to discover more about how you can start earning with Uber through a rental vehicle today.
How does renting an Uber vehicle in Wollongong work?
Car hire companies can either specialise in the Uber market or have a particular option that allows you to rent a car to drive for Uber. These are longer-term rentals and allow you to rent vehicles that meet Uber’s eligibility criteria.
You will usually pay a weekly fee to drive the vehicle and you may be able to use it for personal use as well as drive for Uber. Some rental vehicle companies cover the cost of insurance in your weekly fee, so it’s best to determine if this is the case with the company you choose. Other benefits, such as fuel discounts, might also be included.
What are the benefits of renting a vehicle to drive for Uber in Wollongong?
Some advantages include:
- Unlimited or limited kilometre options. Since Wollongong is quieter than an area like Sydney, you might find that you’re driving less, so some car hire companies offer limited kilometre options where you pay only for a set amount of kilometres. There is a fee per kilometre if you go over, but they also offer unlimited kilometres so you can drive as far as you’d like.
- A variety of vehicles. Rental services have a number of cars to choose from that can meet your needs, depending on what they are. Want to drive a massive Toyota? See if the company you’ve chosen has that available and it could be yours to earn money in!
- Upfront about fees. Some car hire companies are transparent about their fees. It’s always a wise idea to make sure you’re aware of all the possible fees that you could incur before signing a contract.
- Vehicle benefits. 24/7 roadside insurance is common among vehicle rental companies and they may cover the cost of insurance in the weekly price. However, not all of them do this so it’s important to research which rental company best meets your individual Uber needs.
Compare Uber car rental options in Wollongong
What are other costs to consider?
Some of the fees that can be included with renting a vehicle include:
- The minimum weekly fee. This is the fee that you have agreed to pay and includes your vehicle insurance.
- An excess fee. This is in case you get into an accident with the vehicle you have rented and this cost varies between rental lenders.
- Various fees. This is an umbrella term that includes transaction fees, late fees, fees for leaving rubbish in the vehicle upon returning it as well as unauthorised passenger fees. These are fees that you should factor in and be aware of before taking out a contract.
How do I sign up to rent an Uber?
Some of the eligibility requirements you need to meet include:
- Know your vehicle rental term. It’s important to know how long you need the Uber vehicle for so the company knows to charge you for a either a minimum short-term or long-term rental.
- Be a registered driver with Uber. Some rental companies will only lend you the vehicle if you are a registered Uber driver.
- Have a registered Australian driver’s licence.
Some documents you may need to provide include:
- A copy of your driver’s licence.
- A record of your driving history.
Driving in Wollongong and earning money through Uber is easier with a rental vehicle. Compare rideshare rental services to find out which one meets your needs before making a decision.
More guides on finder
Ford Focus ST Review: hands-on
The Ford Focus ST is perhaps one of the best known hot hatches and with the latest model they have made a German-built vehicle accessible to more people.
Every hybrid car in Australia ranked
We've ranked every hybrid vehicle available in Australia.
4 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Where to book 4WD hire
Ready to hit the open road on an off-road adventure? Book your 4WD at these rental companies for less.
2021 Ute guide
Looking for a new ute? Don't buy one till you've read our 2021 ute guide
Every available electric car in Australia 2020 ranked
We've ranked every electric car available in Australia right now.
10 breathtaking romantic getaways on the Sunshine Coast
From the waterfront to the poolside, these are the Sunshine Coast getaways that will have you unwinding in just minutes.
Best electric bikes for Uber Eats
Looking for an e-bike to help power your Uber Eats deliveries? Here’s how to find the right bike for your needs.
Holiday homes in Perth
Discover your home away from home in the centre of the city or along the beach in Perth.
Car registration Queensland
What you need to know about car registration in Queensland, from the different fees to the rego costs.
Ask an Expert