Uber car rental Cairns
Rent a brand new vehicle instead of using your own car to drive with Uber through Cairns.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Decided to earn through Uber but don’t know where to start? Renting a car through a rental service might be an option for you to consider. The good thing about renting a new car through a rental service is that you usually have two options to choose from when it comes to renting your vehicle of choice.
You can choose a rental deal or choose the “rent-to-own” option which allows you to make payments towards owning the vehicle at the end of your loan term. Flexibility like this puts you in control when it comes to picking an option that works best for you. Taking advantage of their rental deals when driving for Uber is an ideal choice for those who aren’t looking to use their own vehicles.
How does renting an Uber vehicle in Cairns work?
Renting an Uber vehicle in Cairns is easy. Simply compare Uber rental providers in your area and find your ideal vehicle on offer. Your rental provider should make this an easy process.
Signing up to get a rental vehicle requires a driver’s licence and proof of address, which can be a utility bill or rental agreement.
Keep an eye out for features such as insurance included in the base price as well as the ability to use the car for personal use, which is an added perk that could come in handy. Some rental providers such as Hertz are not available in Cairns, so be wary of choosing a provider that looks great on paper but is outside your area.
Compare your Uber vehicle rental options below
What are the benefits of renting a vehicle to drive for Uber in Cairns?
Some features to look out for when you’re renting a vehicle to drive for Uber include:
- Minimum terms. Some rental companies require a minimum term, but DriverLand requires no minimum term as it is a car financing broker.
- Use for Uber or personal use? Whether or not you’re able to use the car for personal use is a consideration.
- Is there a large kilometre per week allowance? This could be important depending on how much driving you’re planning on doing.
- Excess kilometre cost. Rental companies charge an excess kilometre limit as there is a mileage limit enforced on the vehicle. This ranges depending on the company you go with, but be wary of this feature.
- Is insurance included in the base price? Whether or not insurance is covered by the base price is a consideration. If this isn’t covered, this means an additional cost for you.
- What vehicle selection is available? Being aware of the range of vehicles your chosen rental company offers can help you choose one company over the other. If you know you want a people mover for those late night bar pickups, ensure that the rental company you go with has the car you want for your Uber driving.
- Is there a registration fee? Some rental companies charge a fee for joining up with them.
- Is there a lock-in contract? Knowing whether or not you’re locked into a contract is ideal for your peace of mind. Who knows, you might be set on being an Uber driver, drive for a month and realise you hate it. Having no lock-in contract allows you to break this without any extra fee.
What are the costs to consider?
Some of the fees you can expect when renting a vehicle include:
- Weekly price. The initial cost per week varies between lenders and is dependant on the vehicle you choose. It starts at $269 and goes up from there. This covers vehicle insurance, so this is one less cost to worry about.
- Memberships with the rental company. In order to take advantage of all of the benefits offered by some companies such as discounted car washes and cheaper fuel, they offer a membership at an additional cost.
- Fees and charges. Rental companies charge fees for late payment, excess kilometres, cleaning and detailing and many more. Be aware of these costs before choosing the rental company.
- Fuel and wear-and-tear costs for the vehicle. Splend does not cover the cost of fuel nor the cost of servicing generated from general vehicle wear and tear. This is important to consider before making a final decision.
- Excess charged for the vehicle. Although you might not have to pay for insurance, you do have to pay for the excess if you get into an accident. This can be expensive, as many insurance companies have an excess of $1,000.
How to sign up to rent an Uber?
Eligibility to rent a vehicle requires you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 25 years old
- Live within 30kms of your capital city CBD
- Own a smartphone
- Possess a current valid Australian driver’s licence
- Have no criminal record
- Have a good driving record
Some of the documents you need to provide are:
- A copy of your driver’s licence with your current address or change of address sticker.
- Your passport or your birth certificate. You can also use your citizenship certificate.
- A copy of your driving history. This is issued through your state road and transport authority.
This general overview provides some information about what you should need in order to sign up for an Uber rental. Some car hire companies have lower age restrictions and require different driver documentation. Other rental services need you to provide an Australian Business Number (ABN) before allowing you to sign up.
Knowing what to expect from a rental company before making your decision to drive for Uber is ideal as this ensures you make an informed choice.
Compare rideshare services before making a final decision.
More guides on Finder
Fast and furious: 73% of Aussies have fallen victim to a road rage incident
Engines aren’t the only thing overheating on the roads this summer – our tempers are too, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Upcoming hybrid and electric car comparison
Compare soon-to-launch electric and hybrid cars.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Ask an Expert