UBank UHomeLoan (Variable Rate)
Enjoy a fee-free home loan with a sharp, discounted rate from a lender backed by NAB.
The UBank UHomeLoan offers a low variable interest rate, a $0 application fee and no ongoing maintenance fees. However, if you would prefer the certainty of a fixed rate home loan UBank offers the UBank UHomeLoan Fixed Rate.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Marc Terrano is a lead publisher and growth marketer at Finder. He has previously worked at Finder as a publisher for frequent flyer points and home loans, and as a writer, podcast host and content marketer. Marc has a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) from the University of Technology Sydney. He’s passionate about creating honest and simple reviews and comparisons to help everyone get value for money.
The UBank UHomeLoan allows you to refinance your current loan or purchase a new home, but it is not available for construction or business purposes. This loan is available as a full documentation loan only.
About this loan
Winner of the 2017 finder award for Best Online Customer Service
At the 2017 finder awards, UBank won first prize in the Best Online Customer Service category, beating out such finance brands as Budget Direct, Fast Cover, Lovehoney and Teachers Mutual to take the top spot.
Customer service is a category that's often hard for borrowers to evaluate without prior experience. But it's a worthwhile point of comparison when shopping around for a home loan. After all, a mortgage is likely the largest sum of money you'll ever borrow.
Being able to access your loan account easily and get fair, friendly help from your lender makes the whole experience much better, from application to settlement and far beyond.
What are the features and benefits of the UBank UHomeLoan (Variable Rate)?
- No fees: The UBank UHomeLoan (Variable Rate) comes with no application fees, ongoing fees or break fees if you pay the loan out early. There are also no fees for making additional payments towards your loan.
- Unlimited free redraws: If you manage to get ahead with your repayments, UBank will allow you to withdraw additional funds as you need them. You can redraw as many times as you want for free provided that you withdraw more than $1,000 per redraw.
- Maximum LVR: The maximum loan-to-value (LVR) of the UHomeLoan (Variable Rate) is 80%, with a loan term of up to 30 years.
- Portability: If you decide to sell your property and buy another, this loan can be transferred provided the property is approved by UBank. This saves you time and money in having to reapply for a new loan.
- Interest-only payments: This home loan allows interest-only repayments. Be aware, however, that making interest-only repayments will not reduce the principal on your home loan.
- Split loan option: You can split your loan up to four times. This means you can have some of your loan calculated on a variable rate and the other portion calculated on a fixed-rate. This can save you money if interest rates rise, while giving you savings if interest rates drop.
- Online account management: UBank is an online lender so it allows you to perform redraws and additional repayments using 'My UHomeLoan'. In addition, it provides a 24-7 customer service hotline.
What fees and charges come with this loan?
There are no ongoing, annual or applications fees charged with the UBank UHomeLoan (Variable Rate).
How to apply
If you believe the UBank UHomeLoan (Variable Rate) sounds right for you, click on the 'Go to site' button and you'll be redirected to the UBank website where you can leave your details and get in touch with a UBank mortgage expert.
The application process consists of several stages; the application, approval, verification, valuation, assessment, approval and settlement.
During the application process, you'll be asked to offer information about your income, assets, liabilities and expenses.
Does UBank offer pre-approval?
The UBank UHomeLoan offers pre-approval for new purchases only. UBank calls this 'Approval in Principle' and it lasts for 60 days.
Approval in principle takes 3-5 days to receive, and you can apply for this by clicking the green 'Go to site' button on this page and starting an application with UBank.
What documents are required?
The paperwork required for the application will depend on whether you're purchasing a property or refinancing an existing loan. However, when you apply for the UBank UHomeLoan (Variable Rate) , you'll generally need to provide:
- Loan purpose. You'll need to specify the loan purpose (e.g. new purchase or refinance).
- Personal details. UBank will require you to disclose your full name, date of birth, residential address and contact details. You'll need to provide a copy of your driver's license and your passport which clearly shows your signature and photo.
- Employment details. When you apply for the UBank UHomeLoan (Variable Rate), you'll need to provide two recent payslips that specify your employer's name, the pay period and your gross or net income. You may also need to lodge a signed employer consent form. You'll need to provide evidence of other income (e.g. government payments or rental income).
- Liabilities. You'll need to provide statements for any liabilities that you have, such as credit cards or personal loans.
- Property details. During the application, you'll need to put forward the contract of sale. This document should identify the property type, address, purchase price, vendor's details and the signature of all parties.
Once you've completed your application, you can download the documents checklist from your application tracker.
Home Loan OffersImportant Information*
Up to $3,000 refinance cashback. A flexible and competitive variable rate loan. Eligible borrowers refinancing $250,000 or more can get $2,000 cashback per property plus a bonus $1,000 for their first application. Other conditions apply.
Up to $4,000 refinance cashback. A competitive variable rate loan from St.George. Refinancers borrowing $250,000 or more can get $4,000 cashback (Other terms, conditions and exclusions apply).
A competitive variable rate mortgage for owner occupiers $0 application and $0 ongoing fees. This interest rate falls over time as you pay off the loan.
Take advantage of a low-fee mortgage with a special interest rate of just 2.49% p.a. and a 2.49% p.a. comparison rate.