Who is CUA?
CUA was established in 1946 and is now Australia’s largest customer-owned financial service provider. Thanks to a series of mergers with credit unions and community groups, CUA today offers a broad range of products and financial services including health, travel, home, car and loan-repayment insurance.
Other types of cover available
As well as health insurance, CUA offers a range of other insurance products including travel, motor, home and contents and loan-repayment insurance.
Offers a choice of Essentials, Comprehensive, Domestic and Multi-Trip Plans which, depending on the type of cover you opt for, may include:
- 24/7 international emergency assistance via Allianz Global Assistance
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses
- Loss of luggage, travel delays and travel services provider insolvency
- Theft of luggage, cash and credit cards
- No depreciation on luggage and personal effects
- Loss of income with mortgage-repayment benefit (Comprehensive and Multi-Trip plans)
- Optional snow, golf and bicycle cover
Offers a choice of Third-Party Only, Third-Party Fire and Theft, and Comprehensive cover which includes:
- Accidental loss or damage to your vehicle caused by fire, theft or other events
- New for old replacement if your vehicle is less than two years old
- Legal liability for third party bodily injury and loss or damage to third party property
- Accidental death benefit of $25,000
- Emergency repairs up to $500
- Rental car after theft
- Reasonable cost of towing
- Temporary cover on replacement vehicle
CUA’s gap insurance protects you from any possible gap between the amount your comprehensive motor insurance pays out and the amount still owing on your loan if your car is stolen or written off. It protects you up to $10,000, with a cash benefit of up to $3,500 for out-of-pocket expenses.
CUA offers a choice of Home and Contents or Contents Only home insurance, with three levels of cover including Vital, Classic and Prestige. Depending on the type of cover you select, benefits include:
- Damage and loss caused by fire, theft, storm and more
- Accidental loss or damage
- Legal liability cover
- Fraudulent use of lost or stolen credit cards
- Replacement of locks and cylinders
- Contents in open air at the risk address
- Contents in safe deposit box
- Guests, visitors and domestic helpers' property
- New for old contents replacement
- Optional personal effects cover away from home
CUA’s loan-repayment insurance protects your loved ones if you die or are unable to work due to illness or injury. It includes three types of cover:
- Life Cover. Pays the lesser of the outstanding loan balance or $750,000 or the credit limit, if you were to die.
- Accident and Illness Cover(Disablement). Pays up to $150 for each daily equivalent of your loan repayment up to $108,000 and for a maximum of 24 months.
- Involuntary Unemployment Cover. Pays up to $150 for each daily equivalent of your loan repayment up to $108,000 and for a maximum of 24 months.
What are the benefits of CUA?
As well as giving you access to a range of value-for-money insurances under the one roof, CUA is a customer-owned organisation, existing solely for its members, which means profits are returned to you in the form of better rates and lower fees.
Members are also shareholders and as such, have a voting right at CUA Annual General Meeting (AGM). They can also participate in the organisation’s governance and query management and financial performance.
Along with these intrinsic benefits, CUA also offers a variety of direct benefits for members including:
- 24/7 roadside assistance for 12 months Australia-wide when you purchase motor insurance.
- Save up to 10% when you purchase motor insurance online.
- Get a safe-driver discount for eligible drivers when you purchase Comprehensive motor insurance.
- Get up to 30% no-claim bonus on your home and contents insurance if you haven’t made a claim in the last five years.
- Save up to 10% when you combine your buildings and contents in a home and contents insurance policy.
- The first month’s coverage is free when you join CUA.