TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards reveals favourite experiences around the world
Image: Getty, Andrew Nguyen
Find out the top tours and activities that you can book now.
The top experiences illustrate that the ideal holiday looks different for every traveller. Holiday-goers have spent time whitewater rafting in New Zealand, snorkelling between tectonic plates in Iceland, indulging in the local foodie scene in Xi'an and sightseeing in cities like Chicago, Florence and Melbourne.
TripAdvisor spokesperson, Laurel Greatrix said, "In the last year, TripAdvisor has doubled the number of bookable tours, attractions and experiences offered to travellers because we know experiences are often the most fun and memorable parts of a trip. With more than 200,000 experiences on our sites, these winners are in an extremely competitive field and represent the best-of-the-best, according to travellers themselves."
The United States took the runner up spot with a river cruise in Chicago to view all of the city's architectural masterpieces in one go and travellers to Las Vegas rated an electric bike tour through Red Rock Canyon as number five.
As can be expected, European experiences featured heavily in the top 10 with a 1-day tour of Tuscany claiming the third spot, a snorkelling trip in Thingvellir Park, Iceland at number 4 along with tours in both Paris and Amsterdam.
Our little corner of the world made it to the global top 10 list also with a white water rafting trip on the Kaituna River in New Zealand sitting at number 10.
Top 10 experiences in the world
- Faster Than Skip-the-Line: Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica Tour– Rome, Italy
- Chicago Architecture River Cruise – Chicago, USA
- Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour – Florence, Italy
- Snorkelling Silfra Tour with Pick Up – Reykjavik, Iceland
- Red Rock Canyon Electric Bike Tour – Las Vegas, USA
- Private Guided Tour on a Vintage Sidecar from 1 Hour to 7 Hours – Paris, France
- 1-Hour Canal Tour starting at Anne Frank House Amsterdam – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Best of Ubud Tour with Jungle Swing – Ubud, Indonesia
- Xi'an Evening Food Tour by TukTuk – Xi'an, China
- Kaituna River White Water – Okere Falls, New Zealand
Top experiences in Australia
TripAdvisor's latest Experiences Trends Report shows that outdoor activities are on the rise. Global bookings in the category increased 56% in the last year so it comes as no surprise that 8 of the top 10 experiences in Australia fall within this category.
Experiences like a Melbourne bike tour, a camping and surfing trip along the Great Ocean Road, city Segway tour of Perth's eastern foreshore and a kayak tour in Hobart all made it into the top 10.
The list of popular Aussie experiences also heavily features sunny Queensland, which took out 5 spots in the top 10 experiences in Australia.
A guided jet ski tour through the Whitsundays took the crown as the number one experience but natural experiences like whale watching in Hervey Bay and a waterfalls tour in the Atherton Tablelands were also rated highly.
TripAdvisor's top 10 experiences in Australia
- Whitsundays Jet Ski Tour – Airlie Beach, Queensland
- The Best of Melbourne Bike Tour – Melbourne, Victoria
- Hervey Bay Premium Whale Watching Cruise – Hervey Bay, Queensland
- Perth East Foreshore and City Segway Tour – Perth, Western Australia
- Atherton Tablelands Waterfalls Tour from Cairns – Cairns, Queensland
- Hobart Kayak Tour – Hobart, Tasmania
- Ocean Rafting Tour to Whitehaven Beach – Whitsundays, Queensland
- Mooloolaba Seafood Lunch Cruise – Sunshine Coast, Queensland
- Sydney Beer and Brewery Tour – Sydney, New South Wales
- 2-Day Camping and Surfing Great Ocean Road Trip from Melbourne – Melbourne, Victoria
Ready to plan your next trip? For a full breakdown of the top things to do by country and category, check out the full list of award winners at TripAdvisor here.
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Argentina, Australia and South East Asia
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Los Angeles, Fiji and South East Asia
- Nab up to 75% off with these hot EOFY travel deals for 2019
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Discounted airfares to European and Asian destinations
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Indonesian islands, European cities and South Africa