TripAdvisor’s top Aussie travel trends for 2019
Family-friendly, wellness experiences and classes are the top experiences for Aussie travellers.
A recent trend that has emerged in the travel space has shown that Aussies are travelling for more than just good memories and selfies. It turns out one of the hottest souvenirs is a new skill.
TripAdvisor's 2019 Experiences Trends Report revealed that travellers are actively learning new skills while abroad with the number of bookings for classes and workshops almost doubling (+80%) year-on-year.
Health and well-being are also high up on the Australian traveller agenda with bookings rising 34% on the previous year. Interestingly, the Kiwis are leading the way globally here with New Zealand traveller bookings for wellness activities soaring up 362% year-over-year.
Sightseeing and iconic attractions will never truly disappear off the list with bookings for some family-friendly activities doubling on the previous year. This included the popular excursion to the Singapore Zoo (+106%).
A take-away gathered from by the site states that in order for an attraction to maintain its place at the top of the list it has to appeal to all members of the family.
Janice Lee Fang, a TripAdvisor spokesperson, says, "Immersive experiences are officially the new travel souvenir. Our data shows Australian travellers increasingly want more from their holidays than just photographs of iconic sites and landmarks— instead, there's a growing appetite for activities that will lead to unforgettable memories. Whether it's a pottery class in Siem Reap or having breakfast with Orangutans at the Singapore Zoo, Aussie travellers are looking to live, breathe and experience everything a place has to offer."
The fastest-growing types of experiences for Aussie travellers in 2018
- Family-friendly (+106%)
- Classes and workshops (+80%)
- Shore excursions (+38%)
- Wellness experiences (+34%)
- Cultural and themed experiences (+26%)
- Private and customised tours (+17%)
- Outdoor activities (+16%)
- Water sports (+15%)
- Sightseeing tickets and passes (+15%)
- Food and wine experiences (+12%)
Aussie travellers are booking some homegrown experiences alongside the worldwide tours and activities. A Bruny Island tour in Hobart and a snorkelling tour to the Great Barrier Reef both showed up in the top 10 most booked experiences for Aussies travellers.
Australian travellers most booked experiences in 2018 on TripAdvisor
- Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica Tour, Rome, Italy
- Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train Day Trip, Tokyo, Japan
- Moulin Rouge Show, Paris, France
- Singapore Zoo with Breakfast with Orangutans, Singapore City, Singapore
- Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour, Florence, Italy
- Bruny Island Sightseeing and Food Tour, Hobart, Australia
- Great Barrier Reef Diving and Snorkeling Cruise, Cairns, Australia
- Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath, London, United Kingdom
- Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and Linderhof Day Tour, Munich, Germany
- Barcelona Sagrada Familia Tour, Barcelona, Spain
- The three-step plan to reopen Australia: What you can and can’t do
- Airlines, cruises and tours waive change and cancellation fees due to coronavirus [Updated]
- Australians advised not to travel: What to know [Updated]
- Travelling during coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know [Updated]
- What to know if your travels are affected by the domestic travel ban