What you need to know before travelling to the Maldives from Australia during COVID-19
The latest on quarantine status, COVID-19 vaccine and test requirements and local restrictions for Australians travelling to Maldives.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
In this guide, you’ll find out if travel is permitted from Australia to the Maldives and what’s open as well as permit, testing and quarantine requirements.
Can I travel from Australia to Maldives?
Yes, the Maldives opened its border to all travellers from Australia on 15 June 2020. As with most international destinations, Australian visitors may have major disruptions when trying to return to Australia as a result of fewer flights and cancellations.
Latest information for Maldives
|Number of cases in past 7 days||Border status||Vaccine required?|
COVID-19 statistics in Maldives vs Australia
New COVID-19 Cases
New COVID-19 Deaths
Total Population Vaccinated for COVID-19 (%)
Getting to Maldives and travelling around once there
Which entry points in Maldives are open to travellers from Australia?Maldives has multiple points of entry, and the following are accepting international travellers from Australia:
- Open Airports: Velana International Airport
As a traveller from Australia, can I travel anywhere once I'm in Maldives?Yes, once in Maldives, Australians are free to travel anywhere.
What's open in Maldives?
As the threat of COVID-19 diminishes, major sightseeing attractions continue to open in the Maldives for locals and Aussies to visit.
Major tourist attractions that are open:
- Ari Atoll
- Meeru Island
- Walking trails, parks and beaches: Australians and locals alike can enjoy the beauty of Maldivian national parks, including Dhigali Haa, Kuda Huraa and The Mendhoo Region Australian tourists can enjoy their trip to the Maldives knowing those beautiful beaches are open to the public, including Villingili Public Beach, Hulhumale Beach and Rasfannu Beach.
- Shopping centres and stores: Shopping centres and retail outlets are open to locals and travellers from Australia. The main destination is the Brandloom by Enmak Maldives.
- Restaurants, cafes and bars: Although restaurants are open in the Maldives, these are the regulations Aussies should keep in mind.
- Tables are more than one metre apart so there may be fewer spots to reserve
- Printed menus may not be available (digital is preferred)
- Waitstaff are socially distanced from guests and each other
Can I cruise to or around Maldives?Cruising from Australia to the Maldives is temporarily stopped. Once it’s safe to do so again, you can book sailings via Princess Cruises or Norwegian Cruise Lines.
What are the entry requirements for Maldives coming from Australia?
Do I need a permit to enter Maldives?Yes, Australian travellers need to fill out and submit a Travel Health Declaration prior to arriving in the Maldives.
Do I need proof I've had a vaccine to travel?No, visitors from Australia don’t need proof of vaccination if travelling to the Maldives.
Do I need proof I've had a negative test before departing Maldives?Yes, Australian tourists visiting the Maldives need to present a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test result taken within 96 hours of arrival unless one of the following exceptions applies to you:
- Citizen of the Maldives
- Holder of an employment visa
- Holder of a dependent visa
- Holder of a student visa
- Holder of a marriage visa
- Children below the age of one
- Flight crew who arrive on a general declaration
Do I need to quarantine when I arrive in Maldives?No, Aussies tourists are not required to quarantine upon arrival in the Maldives unless they fall under one of the categories below:
- You're a traveller arriving from the UK
- You're not a tourist
Frequently asked questions about travelling from Australia to Maldives:
Current travel deals to MaldivesWhether or not now is the right time to travel to Maldives, these deals are ready to go as soon as you are. Many companies are offering flexible travel options to Maldives or are discounting future travel, so it's a great time to bag a bargain.
Up to 15% off classic tours and My Own Room
Available on select trips until 30 June 2022 to Australia, New Zealand, Bali, Alaska, India, Thailand, Peru, South Africa, Japan, Maldives, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 70% off holidays
Book holidays to Thailand, Bali, Fiji, Maldives, Vietnam and across Australia at up to 70% off. Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent. T&Cs apply.
Up to 91% off Maldives stays
Available on select travel dates. Includes free cancellation and more.
Up to 15% off marine tours
Available on trips in 2021 and 2022. Destinations include Thailand, Galapagos, Cuba, Maldives, Greece, Croatia, Sri Lanka and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 30% off Maldives getaway with breakfast
Available on select travel dates in 2021. Minimum nights stay and T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off advance purchase
Available on select dates in 2021 and 2022 when you book 90 days in advance. Destinations include Maldives, Lisbon, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and more.
Fairmont hotels stay from $249/night
Available on select stay dates. Destinations include New York, London, Singapore, Dubai, Maldives and more. Sample stay is for San Francisco. T&Cs apply.
Ask an Expert