Travel light by loading multiple currencies at locked-in exchange rates on a Travelex Money Card.
The Travelex Money Card is a prepaid Mastercard that lets you load and spend money in up to 10 major currencies. This gives you a way to save on overseas ATM fees and conversion fees as long as the card is loaded with enough of the currency you're using when you travel.
It also means you can lock-in exchange rates before you travel so that you know how much money you have available to spend when you're overseas. As well as these benefits, the Travelex Money Card gives you access to complimentary Wi-Fi at over 1 million Boingo Hotspots around the world.
|Available Currencies||AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, USD, THB|
|Multiple Currencies on One Card||Yes|
|Number of Cards Issued||1|
|Minimum Load Amount||$100|
|Maximum Load Amount||100000|
|Maximum Annual Load Amount||$100,000|
|24 Hour ATM Cash Withdrawal Limit||$3,000|
|24 Hour POS Transaction Limit||$15,000|
|Card Issue Fee||$0|
|Initial Load Fee||The greater of 1.1% of the initial load / reload amount or AUD 15.00|
|ATM Withdrawal Fee|
Domestic: 2.95% of the amount withdrawn
|Monthly Inactivity Fee|
after 12 months inactivity
|Card Replacement Fee||$0|
|Currency Conversion Fee||5.95%|
|BPay Reload fee||1% of the reload amount|
|Account Closing Fee||$10|
In-store: No minimum age
Online: At least 18 years old
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
What currencies can I load on the Travelex Money Card?
The Travelex Money Card supports 10 currencies:
- Great Britain pounds
- New Zealand dollars
- US dollars
- Canadian dollars
- Singapore dollars
- Japanese yen
- Hong Kong dollars
- Thai baht
- Australian dollars
You can hold up to all of these 10 currencies on your card and transfer between currencies any time at the prevailing Travelex retail foreign exchange rate.
When paying for a purchase abroad, the card will be automatically debited in that country’s currency where there is an available balance. Where you transact in a currency that isn’t supported or sufficiently loaded on your card, the card will then automatically deduct funds from other available currencies according to the default currency order:
For example, you make a purchase in New York for US$300 but only have US$200 on your travel card. Following the currency order, your AUD currency wallet will automatically be debited the outstanding US$100. Because you only have AUD$100 available, the card will then look to your euro currency wallet to deduct the remaining transaction balance. In the event you have no euros, your British pounds will be debited.
Every time you don’t have the supported or sufficient currency on your card to pay for a transaction, you will be charged a 5.95% currency conversion fee on the transaction value. The exchange rate applied to convert available currencies into the required transaction currency is determined by Mastercard and varies daily. This effective Mastercard “FX Rate” is taken at the time your transaction is processed.
Where can I use my Travelex Money Card?
The Travelex Money Card is a prepaid Mastercard that you can use online or in-store at Mastercard merchants worldwide. You may also use it to withdraw cash from international ATMs wherever the Mastercard logo is displayed. However, you may not use it for manual or offline transactions, for any unlawful activity, or where economic or trade sanctions are imposed.
Features of the Travelex Money Card
Compare some of the perks and features you can expect:
- Locked-in exchange rates. Avoid exchange rate fluctuations by locking in your currency exchange rates ahead of travel. This offers peace of mind and also helps you stay in control of your travel budget.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access. This card offers complimentary Wi-Fi access at millions of locations around the world through Boingo. Just pre-load up to $100 on your card, then register via the Boingo website to get up to three months free Wi-Fi for up to four devices at a time.
- Additional card. Get an additional card for $5 so you’ll have a spare card handy in case of loss, theft or damage to the first card.
- Worldwide ATM alliance. Withdraw local currency from millions of ATMs worldwide, wherever the Mastercard logo is displayed.
- ATM withdrawal fees. Save on international ATM fees with this card. However, be aware that the ATM operator may directly charge their own fee. There is also a 2.95% fee of the amount withdrawn when you make an ATM withdrawal within Australia.
- Smartphone app. Get the Travelex Money app on your smart device so you can manage your account on-the-go. Check your balances and transactions or top up any time using this app.
- Account and withdrawal limits. Your maximum balance allowed across all currencies over a 12-month period is $100,000 or its equivalent, your daily ATM withdrawal limit is or its equivalent, your daily EFTPOS transaction limit is or its equivalent and your daily cash-over-the-counter limit is AUD$350 or equivalent.
How much does the Travelex Money Card cost?
This table illustrates the costs associated with the Travelex Money Card and explains when you’ll be charged each fee.
|Type of fee||Cost||When you’ll be charged|
|Purchase fee||When you are issued with the card at the time of purchase and initially load funds on it|
|Reload fee||Every time you reload funds on your card after the initial load amount|
|Additional card fee||$5||When you request an extra card|
|Replacement card||$0||When you need a lost, damaged or stolen card replaced|
|Currency conversion fee||5.95% of transaction value||When you purchase or withdraw in a currency that is not supported or sufficiently loaded on your card|
|International withdrawal fee||$0||While Travelex won’t charge you for international ATM withdrawals, local ATM operator fees may apply|
|Domestic ATM withdrawal fee||2.95% of the amount withdrawn||When you make an ATM withdrawal in Australia|
|Over-the-counter cash||$0||You won’t be charged when you obtain cash over the counter|
|Monthly inactivity fee||$4||When you have not made any transactions on your card in the previous 12 months|
|Closure/cash out fee||$10||When you close your card or withdraw funds from your card funds|
How to use the Travelex Money Card
From setting up your card to managing your account, here’s everything you need to know:
- Activating the card. Your card and additional card will be ready for use within two business days of purchase unless otherwise stated. No action on your part is required for further activation.
- Loading funds on the card. You may load funds onto your card either in-store at a participating Travelex outlet in Australia, online, over the phone or using the Travelex Money app. BPAY or bank transfers booked online via the Travelex website will be subject to prevailing Mastercard Prepaid exchange rates at the time of the transaction. For reloads not booked via the Travelex website, funds will be automatically loaded in your default currency, which is initially AUD. You may change your default currency online via My Account.Each reload must be at least $100 or its equivalent but no more than 100000 or its equivalent. When reloading by bank transfer or BPAY, your daily limit is AUD$25,000 or its equivalent. Bank transfers generally take one business day to process while BPAY reloads may take two, but payments made after 2pm AEST can take longer.
- Managing your online account. Head to the Travelex Money Card website and register your card by following the prompts. You will then be able to log into “My Account” where you can view your account balances and previous transactions, transfer funds across different currencies, change your default currency settings and more.
What do I do if I return home with foreign currency remaining on my card?
You may decide to keep the existing currency balances for your next trip or close your card and withdraw any remaining funds through a Travelex store or Mastercard Prepaid. Your remaining funds will be paid out to you in Australian dollars, either in cash or deposited into your nominated bank account. Withdrawal and currency conversion fees will apply where relevant.
Who do I contact if my card is lost, stolen or damaged?
If your card is damaged, lost or stolen, contact Card Services immediately by calling 1800 303 297, or +44 20 3284 8395 when overseas. You may use your back-up card if you have one or request that a replacement card be sent to you. You may also request that emergency cash services are arranged for you in the local currency.
How to apply for a Travelex Money Card
You may buy a Travelex Money Card from any Travelex store or order one online. You will need to provide photo ID for identification purposes.
- Online. Order your card online via the Travelex website and pick it up from your local Travelex store or at an Australia Post store. For pick-up at Australia Post, a $10 fee applies for orders under $2,000. When paying for your travel money card via BPAY, your purchase is exempt from bank or card fees but can take more than four business days. Paying by debit or credit card can incur surcharges of up to 1% but result in collection as soon as one business day. You must be above 18 to order your card online.
- In-store. You will be immediately issued an active and ready-to-use travel money card when you purchase your card in-store. There are no age requirements for in-store purchases.
- Over the phone. Call Mastercard Prepaid on 1800 303 297 for more information or +44 20 3284 8395 if overseas.
Are there any eligibility requirements?
There are no age requirements in a Travelex store but you need to be over 18 when applying online. Non-residents may also apply, as long as you have a valid government-issued photo ID with an Australian address.
The Travelex Money Card is easy to use and enjoys the worldwide acceptance of a Mastercard. It also offers cost savings related to reloads and international ATM withdrawals. However, before choosing a travel card, research and compare other available options to find the one that will best serve your personal travel needs and spending preferences.Back to top