Travelex foreign currency transactions attract no commission. It's the cheap and easy way to get foreign cash before you leave.
The prepared traveller sorts their finances before leaving the country. Purchase foreign currency through Travelex foreign cash outlets or online through the Travelex by click 'Go to Site'. Have your travel money ready by ordering foreign cash before you leave Australia. Lock in the rate today and collect the cash from a Travelex outlet – in the city or at the airport.
|Product Name||Travelex International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||AUD 500|
|Max. Transfer Amount||No limit|
|Transfer Options||Regular payments, One off payments, Market orders, Forward contracts|
Minimum transfer time
|Customer Service||Phone, Email, Branch|
|Available Currencies||AED, AUD, BHD, BND, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, FJD, GBP, HKD, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, JPY, KRW, KWD, LKR, MAD, MXN, MYR, NOK, NZD, OMR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, THB, TOP, TRY, TWD, USD, VND, VUV, WST, XPF, ZAR|
|Online Transfer Fee||AUD 15|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Real time|
- Competitive exchange rate
- Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn Qantas points
- Minimum transfer amount applies
- Transfer fee also applies
Competitive foreign exchange rates
The Travelex best price guarantee does not apply when you purchase foreign cash — this is a price promise for international payments. However, foreign exchange rates are still competitive when buying foreign cash.
There’s a large number of currencies on offer, from United States Dollars through to the more exotic Vanuatu Vatu, Travelex have the right currency for almost every travel destination. See the ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ for a list of available currencies.
Earn Qantas Points when you buy or sell foreign currency
Usually Qantas Points are not earned on cash transactions — including buying and selling of foreign currency. However, Travelex are a Qantas frequent flyer partner. If you’re a Qantas Frequent Flyer member, you can earn Qantas Points when you buy and sell foreign cash with Travelex. A commission is charged when you buy foreign currency and earn frequent flyer points. See the frequently asked questions for more information about earning Qantas Points.
Be aware of these conditions:
- Points are earned when you buy and sell foreign currency through the Qantas Travelex. You need to buy foreign cash through Qantas Travel Money Online. This is a different arrangement to buying Travelex foreign currency directly. A commission of about $11 is charged. The size of the transaction is the basis for whether it's better to pay the commission and earn Qantas Points.
- Earn one Qantas Point for every five dollars of AUD value* if you’re buying or selling AU$50 to AU$300.
- Earn one Qantas Point for every three dollars of AUD value* for transactions between AU$300 - AU$1,000.
- Earn one Qantas Point for every dollar of AUD value* for transactions more than AU$1,000 to AU$10,000.
*Or foreign currency equivalent
How do I buy Travelex foreign currency?
Travelex foreign currency can be purchased online and collected in-store, or you can purchase foreign cash from any Travelex retail outlet. Online and retail outlet foreign exchange rates may vary.
Buying foreign cash online:
Buy foreign cash online through the Travelex website. Select the store or airport terminal, and pick when you want to collect the currency. The rate is locked in at the time the order is confirmed.
Online order limits:
- Minimum online order: AU$250.
- Combined maximum order value in a 24 hour period is AU$5,000.
- Combined maximum order value in a 21 day period is AU$20,000.
Online foreign currency payment methods
Pay using a debit card, credit card or BPAY. The funds won’t be available to collect right away, it’s at least a day before your foreign cash is ready if you pay by a credit card and three days with BPAY. Credit card and debit card payments are made at the time of ordering the foreign currency while BPAY payments must be made within 12 hours of confirming the quote.
Paying with a card
This attracts a surcharge of 0.89%. This is non-refundable. The credit card company may also classify the transaction as a cash advance rather than a purchase. This will attract fees and charges.
You can also pay with a debit card. You’re using your own money so there are no cash advance charges; however, the Visa or Mastercard surcharge applies. Visa and Mastercard debit cards attract a handling fee too.
These do not attract a card surcharge. The BPAY payment has to come from your account, not someone else.
How do I pick up my foreign currency?
Select where you want to collect your cash when order currency online. Choices are the airport or from a Travelex outlet. All major airports in Australia are covered and a quick search for Travelex outlets shows locations all over Sydney.
If you paid for the foreign currency by credit card or debit card, you’ll need to provide the following when you collect your cash.
- The card the order was paid for with,
- A print out of the confirmation of the order or your order reference number,
- Identification, like your passport or driver’s licence.
You’ll need to sign when the cash is collected and the person who made, and paid, for the order has to be the person who picks up the money.
What foreign currencies can I buy?
You can find these currencies available at Travelex stores.
- CAD, CNY, DKK, EUR, FJD, HKD, INR, IDR, JPY, MYR, NZD, NOK, SGD, ZAR, SEK, CHF, THB, AED, GBP, USD, VND.
The following currencies are usually available at the Travelex stores at the airport.
- BSD, BHD, BBD, BMD, BND, CLP, CZK, EGP, HUF, ILS, JOD, MUR, MXN, OMR, PKR, PGK, PHP, RUB, QAR, WST, SAR, KRW, LKR, TWD, TOP, TRY, VUV.
How do I earn Qantas Points when I buy and sell foreign cash?
Qantas Frequent Flyer members can visit the Qantas Frequent Flyer website and look for a link to partner merchants under the 'earning points' sub-menu.
Click on 'buy foreign currency cash with Qantas Travel Money online', and you will be directed to the Travelex foreign currency website.
When prompted, select Qantas from the list of loyalty schemes and enter your frequent flyer number and the points will be credited to your account following the transaction.
What happens if I don’t get the cash?
If you don’t pick up your foreign cash within three days of the collection date, the order will be canceled and a cancellation fee charged. The cash is moved to an uncollected monies account and can be refunded if you provide the receipt (minus the cancellation fee). After 90 days, Travelex claims the money.
If you change your mind about buying foreign currency or want to cancel your order before you pick the money up, give Travelex a call and you can cancel your Travelex foreign currency purchase.
- There is a AU$25.00 cancellation fee.
- The Visa and Mastercard surcharge is non-refundable.
- Cash advance fees and bank fees are non-refundable.