Israel Travel Money Guide
See the Holy Land without worrying about your finances with these quick tips and easy solutions on how to best spend money in Israel.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Spending in Israel is similar to spending at home and card payments are widely accepted. We recommend bringing a debit card for easy tap payments and withdrawals as well as making sure you have some cash on you – especially if you're heading outside of a major city.
Compare travel money options for Israel
In Israel, debit and credit cards are widely accepted and ATMs are readily available in tourist areas, but you will need cash for purchases at smaller shops, restaurants and markets. A good idea is to bring your debit card for regular purchases and to withdraw cash as needed while having a credit card as your backup.
Should I bring a pre-paid travel card, credit card or debit card to Israel?
|Travel money option||Pros||Cons|
|Pre-paid travel money card|
What's the Israeli currency?
The local currency used in Israel is the shekel, which is broken down into 100 agora. Shekel bills come in denominations of 20, 50, 100 or 200. Coins come in denominations of 10 or 50 agorot or 1, 2, 5 or 10 shekels.
Over the last few years, the exchange rate has hovered between 2.6 and 3.2 shekels to 1 Australian dollar.
Travel money tips for Israel
- Watch out for shops that advertise "commission-free" shopping. These shops may have a worse exchange rate than one you can find elsewhere.
- Bring cash if travelling to smaller towns. ATMs aren't as widely available outside major cities such as Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Nazareth and Haifa.
- Don't leave it until the last minute to get shekels if you're running low. ATMs in Israel sometimes go down for international connections.
- You may not have ATM access on Friday/Saturday. ATMs aren't stocked on Shabbat (from sunset on Friday until sunset on Saturday), so most people take money out on Friday, which could leave you without cash if the ATM runs out of money.
- Avoid using traveller's cheques. They're pricey to cash, and that's if you can even find somewhere to cash them.
- Exchange or withdraw your money when you get to Israel. You'll most likely find a better rate than you will in Australia. ATMs are available at the airport, so you won't be stranded without cash.
More guides on Finder
ANZ Rewards Platinum – Exclusive Offer
This card offers a competitive rewards program, 150,000 bonus ANZ Reward Points, a first-year annual fee waiver and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Virgin Money Go Account
Virgin Money Go bank account: Pay no monthly account fees, earn points as you spend and earn bonus interest on a linked Virgin Money savings account.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Kogan Money Black Card – Exclusive Offer
Pay 0% interest on balance transfers for the first 22 months with no balance transfer fee. Plus, get a $50 Kogan.com Credit when you meet the spend requirement with this exclusive offer for the Kogan Money Black credit card.
6 things you need to know if you’re getting a credit card in 2021
SPONSORED: Keep these details in mind to help you save time (and money) finding a new card in the New Year.
Where to order Guzman Y Gomez delivery
Here are all the places you can order Guzman Y Gomez for delivery in Australia. Also, bag a few deals that can help you save money on your meal.
Bank of Melbourne Vertigo Platinum – Cashback Offer
A low rate platinum credit card that includes a cashback offer and perks such as complimentary travel insurance and purchase insurance.
Commonwealth Bank Business Transaction Account ($10 Monthly Fee Option)
The Commonwealth Bank Business Transaction Account offers a Business Visa debit card, easy access to your funds and a range of convenient tools to help you manage your business’s cash flow.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
Ask an Expert