Lock in exchange rates, load multiple currencies and easily manage overseas spending with a Cash Passport MasterCard. Learn more about these options and compare cards to find the right travel money option for you.
Cash Passport MasterCard is a travel money option designed to make it easy to spend foreign currency. These prepaid debit cards let you lock in exchange rates before you travel so that you can budget more effectively and reduce the cost of foreign transaction fees.
Cash Passport cards can also be used at over 29 million locations and 60 countries across the MasterCard network, either when you travel or shop online with an international retailer. Cash Passport provides a range of convenient, secure and affordable prepaid cards you can use for overseas spending.
Prepaid travel card from Cash Passport
What travel money options does Cash Passport provide?
- Cash Passport MasterCard. You can use the Cash Passport MasterCard to load and spend money with 10 currencies on the one card. You can also load just one foreign currency onto the card if you are only travelling through one country or region.
This card lets you load and convert currencies 24/7 through an easy to use online portal, giving you a chance to manage your balance and lock in competitive exchange rates wherever you are in the world. Currencies available with a Cash Passport MasterCard include:
- Australian dollars
- Canadian dollars
- Great British Pounds
- Hong Kong dollars
- Japanese Yen
- New Zealand dollars
- Singapore dollars
- Thai Baht
- US dollars
It’s important to note that the range of currencies available does vary depending on the Cash Passport card you choose, so make sure you look at each option before deciding on one that is right for you.
Features and costs of Cash Passport travel money products
Cash Passport MasterCard
The Cash Passport MasterCard is designed to make travel and shopping around the world easier by giving you access to up to 10 different currencies on the one card.
Cash Passport will automatically select the appropriate currency based on where you are in the world, so all you have to do is make a payment in person or online as you would with a regular credit card or debit card. Other features of the card include:
- Internet banking and mobile banking. Manage your money and convert currencies wherever you are using the Cash Passport internet or mobile banking services.
- Multiple currencies. The Cash Passport MasterCard allows you to load money in up to ten currencies. The currency options for this card are: AUD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, THB, USD
- Drawdown sequence. When you are transacting with a currency that is not loaded on the card, your card will draw currencies in the following order 1. AU$, 2. US$, 3. EU€, 4. GB£, 5. NZ$, 6. TH฿, 7. CA$, 8. HK$,9. JP¥, 10. SG$.
- International ATM withdrawals. The following fees will be charged to your Cash Passport Mastercard each time you make cash withdrawals from an ATM outside of Australia: USD 2.50, EUR 2.50, GBP 2.00, NZD 3.50, THB 80.00, CAD 3.50, HKD 18.00, JPY 260.00, SGD 3.50, AUD 3.50 (for international ATM withdrawals in countries not mentioned above or insufficient funds in the relevant currency to cover the whole transaction).
- Daily exchange rates. Exchange rates change daily, so you can choose when you convert currency on the card to lock in a great deal.
- Security. Cash Passport comes with chip-and-PIN technology to help keep your details safe. You also have the benefit of MasterCard’s Zero Liability Policy to protect you against unauthorised transactions.
- 24/7 Global Assistance. Get help or ask questions about the card at any time and from anywhere through the Global Assistance team.
- Free online loading through Cash Passport. It’s free to top up your Cash Passport online through the Cash Passport website.
- Additional card. Get an additional card to use as a backup for $5.
Fees and limits
While there are a lot of benefits to getting a Cash Passport MasterCard, there are also a number of potential costs and limits you need to be aware of before you choose this card. These include:
- Initial card fee. When you get your card, you will be charged $0.
- Money loading limits. You can load amounts between $100 and $100,000 daily depending on your budget and needs.
- Reload fee. You can reload your card online using bank transfer or BPAY for free. A $5 fee will be charged if you reload using a debit card.
- Domestic ATM withdrawal charge. If you get cash out at an Australian ATM, you will be charged an extra 2.95% per transaction.
- Monthly inactivity fee. A fee of $0 is applied for every month the card is not used.
- Negative balance fee. A $0 fee applies if you spend more money than you have on the card.
- Cash out fee. A fee of $10 will be charged when you cash out any amount on your Card (other than withdrawals from an ATM).
Weighing up these factors and reading through the Product Disclosure Statement before choosing this card will help you decide if it is the right option for you.
Frequently asked questions about the Cash Passport MasterCard
How do I apply for a Cash Passport MasterCard?
You can apply for a Cash Passport MasterCard online or in-store from a range of retailers, including Australia Post and Harvey World Travel stores.
How do I check my balance?
You can check your balance and view your transactions history with an online account which you can set up on the Cash Passport MasterCard website.
Can I use my card online?
You can use your card to shop online at any merchants that accept MasterCard.
How long will it take to receive my card?
If you purchase your card in store you will receive your card immediately and be able to use it within two hours. If you purchase your card online you will receive your card within five business days of receiving your payment.
Are there any countries where this card will not work?
Yes. Certain countries have sanctions which restrict the use of a Cash Passport. The countries currently affected by these sanctions are Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria and Crimea.
How do I reload my card?
Your Cash Passport is valid up until the expiry date listed on the card, and you can reload your card at any time. You can reload your card at the place you purchased it or online via BPAY.