Cash Passport Mastercard – Travel Money Card
Lock in exchange rates, load multiple currencies and easily manage overseas spending with a Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard. Learn more about these options and compare cards to find the right travel money option for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Cash Passport cards can also be used at over 29 million locations and 60 countries across the Mastercard network, either when you travel or shop online with an international retailer. Cash Passport provides a range of convenient, secure and affordable prepaid cards you can use for overseas spending.
Prepaid travel card from Cash Passport
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What travel money options does Cash Passport provide?
- Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard. You can use the Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard to load and spend money with 10 currencies on the one card. You can also load just one foreign currency onto the card if you are only travelling through one country or region.
This card lets you load and convert currencies 24/7 through an easy to use online portal, giving you a chance to manage your balance and lock in competitive exchange rates wherever you are in the world. Currencies available with a Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard include:
- Australian dollars
- Canadian dollars
- Great British Pounds
- Hong Kong dollars
- Japanese Yen
- New Zealand dollars
- Singapore dollars
- Thai Baht
- US dollars
It's important to note that the range of currencies available does vary depending on the Cash Passport card you choose, so make sure you look at each option before deciding on one that is right for you.
Features and costs of Cash Passport travel money products
Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard
The Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard is designed to make travel and shopping around the world easier by giving you access to up to 10 different currencies on the one card.
Cash Passport will automatically select the appropriate currency based on where you are in the world, so all you have to do is make a payment in person or online as you would with a regular credit card or debit card. Other features of the card include:
- Internet banking and mobile banking. Manage your money and convert currencies wherever you are using the Cash Passport internet or mobile banking services.
- Multiple currencies. The Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard allows you to load money in up to ten currencies. The currency options for this card are: AUD, USD, CAD, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, NZD, SGD, THB, AED
- Drawdown sequence. When you are transacting with a currency that is not loaded on the card, your card will draw currencies in the following order 1. AU$, 2. US$, 3. EU€, 4. GB£, 5. NZ$, 6. TH฿, 7. CA$, 8. HK$,9. JP¥, 10. SG$.
- International ATM withdrawals. The following fees will be charged to your Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard each time you make cash withdrawals from an ATM outside of Australia: USD2.5, EUR 2.5, GBP 2, NZD 3.5, THB 80.00, CAD 3.5, HKD 18, JPY 260, SGD 3.5, AUD 3.5 (for international ATM withdrawals in countries not mentioned above or insufficient funds in the relevant currency to cover the whole transaction)..
- Daily exchange rates. Exchange rates change daily, so you can choose when you convert currency on the card to lock in a great deal.
- Security. Cash Passport comes with chip-and-PIN technology to help keep your details safe. You also have the benefit of Mastercard's Zero Liability Policy to protect you against unauthorised transactions.
- 24/7 Global Emergency Assistance. Get help or ask questions about the card at any time and from anywhere through the Global Emergency Assistance team.
- Free online loading through Cash Passport. It's free to top up your Cash Passport online through the Cash Passport website.
- Additional card. Get an additional card to use as a backup for $5.
Fees and limits
While there are a lot of benefits to getting a Cash Passport Mastercard, there are also a number of potential costs and limits you need to be aware of before you choose this card. These include:
- Initial card fee. When you get your card, you will be charged $0.
- Money loading limits. You can load amounts between $100 and $100,000 daily depending on your budget and needs.
- Reload fee. You can reload your card online using bank transfer for free. A 1% will be charged if you use BPAY and $5 if you reload using a debit card.
- Domestic ATM withdrawal charge. If you get cash out at an Australian ATM, you will be charged an extra 2.95% per transaction.
- Monthly inactivity fee. A fee of $0 is applied for every month the card is not used.
- Negative balance fee. A $0 fee applies if you spend more money than you have on the card.
- Cash out fee. A fee of $10 will be charged when you cash out any amount on your Card (other than withdrawals from an ATM).
Weighing up these factors and reading through the Product Disclosure Statement before choosing this card will help you decide if it is the right option for you.
Frequently asked questions about the Cash Passport Mastercard
More guides on Finder
Black Friday vacuum cleaner deals 2021: Dyson, Bosch and more
Get up to 58% off on robot cleaners to barrels and cordless sticks to all things Dyson during the Black Friday sales.
Nintendo Switch Black Friday deals 2021 Australia with up to 59% off
These are the best Black Friday deals for Nintendo Switch, including up to 59% off bestselling Switch games.
Black Friday TV deals in Australia: Up to $3,000 off smart TVs
The best Black Friday 2021 discounts include over $1,000 off 75-inch and 85-inch smart TVs from Samsung and Hisense.
Apple Watch Black Friday sales in Australia
Black Friday bargains include discounts on the Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple Watch accessories.
Black Friday air fryer sales: Up to 85% off our favourite brands
Save up to 84% off select air fryers and multi cookers on Black Friday from Amazon, eBay and Catch and more.
Black Friday mega deal: $162 off Nintendo Switch bundles
Get the Nintendo Switch bundled with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and a 3-month Nintendo Switch Online subscription for $369 - save $160!
The best Black Friday headphone sales in Australia: Get up to 58% off
The biggest discounts include $200 off the Apple AirPods Max, 40% off the Beats Solo3, 38% off Jabra Elite 75t Earbuds and 56% off Sennheiser HD 400s.
Australia’s best Black Friday 2021 gaming laptop deals, save up to 40% off
Save over $1000 on gaming laptops during Black Friday 2021 from Dell, MSI, Lenovo, OMEN and Alienware and more.
Ask an Expert