Rushed Departure? Compare Policies from Last Minute and Avoid Being Banged Up Abroad
lastminute.com.au is a travel website that offers cheap flights and hotel deals, holiday packages, car hire and even travel insurance to Australian customers. If you’re looking for insurance for your next trip away, lastminute.com.au offers Budget Travel Insurance, International Comprehensive Travel Insurance, Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance and an Australian Cancellation-Only policy.
lastminute.com.au’s insurance policies are issued by QBE Australia, one of the biggest players in the Australian industry. As the underwriter, QBE is responsible for assessing the risk associated with each insurance applicant and deciding which application is accepted.
Whether you’re travelling on a tight budget or planning a massive round-the-world trip, the travel insurance offerings from lastminute.com.au are worth considering before you hit the road.
Policies from Last Minute to Choose From
If you’re taking a single international trip and you only want affordable cover for the essentials, the Budget Travel Insurance policy is designed with you in mind. It provides cover for:
- Your overseas medical, hospital and dental expenses, including the cost of ambulance transportation
- $10,000 of cover for cancellation or holiday deferment costs
- $10,000 of cover for emergency travel arrangements and accommodation expenses
- Travel delay cover
- Cover for lost, stolen or damaged luggage and personal effects
- Cover for replacement passports and travel documents
- $1 million of personal liability cover.
This Last Minute travel insurance policy is available for travellers aged under 65.
This lastminute.com.au policy offers ultimate peace of mind for international travellers, providing protection against an extensive range of potential risks you might encounter while travelling. Features include:
- Unlimited cover for emergency overseas medical and dental expenses including the cost of medical repatriation back to Australia if required
- Unlimited coverage is also provided for cancellation and deferment costs when circumstances outside your control wreak havoc with your holiday plans
- Emergency travel arrangements and accommodation expenses.
- Travel agents cancellation fees
- Travel delay
- Rental vehicle insurance excess
- $12,000 luggage and personal effects cover (sub-limits apply to certain items)
- Emergency luggage
- Stolen cash
- Loss of income
- Legal expenses
- Financial default
- $3 million of personal liability protection.
- This policy is designed for frequent travellers who are likely to take multiple trips in any given year.
- It offers all the same cover as the Comprehensive policy listed above, but it covers unlimited trips (as long as their duration is less than 60 days) across a 12-month period
- The policy is available for travellers aged 70 and under who are taking journeys in Australia and/or internationally
- You can take out cover for a spouse or de facto partner who is accompanying you on your travels, while financially dependent children under the age of 25 who accompany you on any trips are automatically covered.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn 1 point for every $2 they spend on this policy.
Just because you’re not travelling internationally doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from the cover travel insurance offers, and this policy is designed for domestic travel only. Policy features include cover for;
- Trip cancellation costs
- Cover for medical and dental expenses on board a cruise ship
- Financially dependent children under the age of 25 who accompany you are automatically covered
- Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn 1 point for every $2 they spend on this policy.
What Will I Be Covered For?
|Cancellation or holiday deferment costs||Unlimited||$10,000||Unlimited|
|Emergency travel arrangements and accommodation expenses||Unlimited||$10,000||Unlimited|
|Agents cancellation fees||$2,000||$1,500||N.A|
|Medical and dental expenses||Unlimited||$10,000,000||Unlimited|
|Dental expenses due to sudden and acute pain||$1,000||$1,000||N.A|
|Evacuation and repatriation||Unlimited||$10,000,000||Unlimited|
|Rental vehicle insurance excess||$5,000||N.A||$4,000|
|Luggage and personal effects maximum item limit total||$12,000||$3,000||$15,000|
|Personal computer individual item limit||$6,000||$300||$6,000|
|Camera & video individual item limit||$4,000||$300||$4,000|
|Watches & jewellery individual item limit||$700||$300||$3,000|
|Dentures or dental prosthesis individual item limit||$800||$800||$800|
|Other individual item limit||$700||$300||$1,000|
|Fraudulent use of credit or debit cards||N.A||N.A||$3,000|
|Loss of income||$10,000||N.A||$10,000|
|Replacement passports and Travel Documents||N.A||$1,000||N.A|
Who is Last Minutes Travel Insurance Backed By?
As mentioned above, lastminute.com.au’s travel insurance is issued by QBE Australia. QBE offers 24/7 emergency and claims handling assistance, which serves to take the stress out of all manner of difficult situations while you’re travelling. It also offers customers the option of lodging a claim online or sending in a form.
QBE Australia is part of the QBE Insurance Group, which is one of the world’s top 20 general insurance and reinsurance providers. With more than 17,000 employees across 38 countries, QBE’s gross written premiums in 2014 totalled US $16.3 billion. This gives lastminute.com.au insurance customers the confidence and peace of mind that comes from dealing with a financially strong and globally respected insurer.Back to top
Important Features of Your Last Minute Travel Insurance Policy
Your lastminute.com.au travel insurance policy will offer cover during the period of insurance, the start and end dates of which will be shown on your certificate of insurance. Otherwise, cover ends when you return to your home in Australia from the completion of your trip. It’s also worth mentioning that cover is only available for trips less than 60 days in duration.
You can only change the period of insurance for your policy with the consent of the insurer. If you do want to defer or change your period of insurance, you may have to submit a Policy Amendment Form to QBE. If QBE agrees to your request, you’ll be issued with a new certificate of insurance. However, if your scheduled travel is delayed or if your trip is delayed by an event that allows you to make a claim, your period of insurance will be automatically extended.
Finally, once the cooling-off period has passed, if you wish to cancel your Last Minute travel insurance policy you will not be entitled to any refund of your premium.
What Am I Not Covered For?
Like any travel insurance policy, Last Minute Travel Insurance comes with a list of general exclusions. Your claim will not be paid if:
- You travel against the advice of a medical practitioner or if you know you are unfit to travel.
- The illness, injury or death your claim is based upon is caused or exacerbated by an existing medical condition.
- The illness, injury or death of a travelling companion or non-travelling relative or business party is caused by a condition which has been subject to medical investigation in the 12 months prior to your period of insurance.
- It relates to the birth of a child.
- Your claim relates to the illness, injury or death of someone over 80 years of age and who is not a member of your travelling party.
- You are over 70 years of age when the insurance is issued.
- A member of the travelling party deliberately injures themselves.
- It arises because of a member of the travelling party being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- It arises from a member of the travelling party suffering from any mental illness, including depression, anxiety, dementia or panic attacks.
- A member of the travelling party acts maliciously.
- A member of the travelling party hunts, plays polo or races.
- A member of the travelling party rides a motorcycle in excess of 100cc (except as a pillion passenger) without a valid licence.
- It is for consequential loss.
- It arises because of a criminal or dishonest act by you or someone else with whom you are in collusion.
- It is caused by a government authority confiscating, withholding or destroying anything of yours.
How Do I Claim with Last Minute?
If you wish to make a claim on your Last Minute travel insurance policy, remember that it’s your responsibility to take all reasonable steps to prevent any loss from occurring. In the event of a claim you will need to:
- Notify QBE as soon as possible and fill out a claim form.
- Supply any documents, letters etc relating to the claim, for example medical certificates, receipts or police reports. Of course, if you’re the victim of theft you should report the matter to the police or other relevant authority as soon as possible.
- Forward any letters or documents that you receive from anyone else and that relate to your claim to QBE.
- Don’t admit fault or make payment to anyone.
- If your claim is accepted you may have to pay an excess.
- Approved claim amounts will be paid to you in Australian dollars.