ICICI Lombard Company Background
ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance is operated by ICICI Lombard GIC Ltd, India’s second biggest bank and one of the country’s largest private sector general insurance companies.
With a Gross Written Premium (GWP) this year of 71.34 billion rupees, ICICI Lombard has issued over 11 million policies and settled over 6 million claims, so when you take out ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance, you know you’re dealing with a company that will be there when you need them.
Unfortunately ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance is not available to residents of Australia. You may wish to consider another policy option if you are a resident of Australia
ICICI Travel Insurance
An international travel insurance policy with ICICI Lombard provides comprehensive cover in a range of different areas including:
- Medical cover – medical expenses incurred due to illness or injury plus medical evacuation expenses.
- Dental cover – reimbursement for dental expenses up to the benefit amount.
- Baggage cover – reimbursement for loss or delay of checked-in baggage and loss of passports.
- Personal liability cover – indemnifies the insured against third party injury or property damage claims.
- Personal accident cover – covers death and total or partial permanent disability arising out of an accident.
- Hijack distress compensation – compensation for the period the insured is held captive by hijackers on a common carrier.
- Emergency cash advance – emergency financial assistance following an event such as theft of luggage, holdup or burglary.
- Fire and allied perils cover – home building and contents insurance.
- Burglary cover – home contents insurance.
- Trip cancellation and interruption cover – reimbursement for financial losses incurred from trip cancellation or interruption due to natural disasters, terrorism or the death or hospitalisation of an immediate family member.
- Missed connections cover – payment for a missed flight due to the delayed arrival of an earlier flight.
- Trip delay cover – payment for delayed departure due to natural disasters, terrorism, personal contingencies, cancellation by carrier or loss or theft of travel documents.
- Bounced bookings cover – reimbursement for costs incurred due to bouncing of reserved flights or accommodation by the providers.
- Compassionate visit cover – payment for the compassionate visit of a relative or family member, if the insured is hospitalised overseas for more than five days.
- Emergency hotel extension – reimbursement for additional accommodation expenses incurred as a result of delayed departure.
- Loss of baggage and personal effects cover – compensation for checked-in baggage and hand luggage lost by the carrier.
- Return of minor child(ren) cover – payment to send an unattended minor(s) home if the insured dies or is hospitalised for more than five days.
- Political risk and catastrophe compensation expenses – payment for expenses incurred due to political expulsion or natural disaster.
- Accidental death cover – payment to the beneficiaries if the insured dies as a result of travelling on a common carrier.
ICICI Lombard Overseas Travel Insurance: Additional Cover
As well as covering the insured in the circumstances listed above, an ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance policy offers additional optional medical covers including:
- Pre-existing illness extension – cover for conditions not covered by the standard policy.
- Repatriation of remains – reimbursement for transporting the insured’s remains back to their country of residence, should they die whilst overseas, or alternatively, payment of an equivalent amount for local burial.
- Daily allowance in case of hospitalisation – daily compensation for a specified number of days, if the insured is hospitalised for more than two consecutive days.
ICICI International Travel Insurance
There are three main options available with ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance. These are:
- Single round trip – medical cover up to $500.000, with no medical test required up to age 85, cashless hospitalisation available worldwide through affiliation with United Health International, cover for total loss of checked-in baggage including handbags and medical concierge, automotive assistance and lifestyle services available with selected plans.
- Senior citizen travel insurance – no medical tests required up to age 85, access to worldwide cashless medical services, the option to extend the policy for an additional 180 days and medical concierge, automotive assistance and lifestyle services available for dependents in India.
- Gold multi-trip cover – available up to 70 years of age, access to worldwide cashless health services, the option to secure as many as 30, 45 or 60 days in a year and medical concierge, automotive assistance and lifestyle services available for dependents while you are away from home.
ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance Review of Sub Limits
Sub-limits that apply to ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance include:
- Maximum USD $100,000 per sickness, disease or accident (except with the Platinum plan)
- Maximum USD $1,800 per day up to 30 days for hospital room and board
- Maximum USD $3,250 per day up to 7 days for intensive care unit
- Maximum USD $15,000 for surgery
- Up to 25% of surgical treatment for anaesthetist services
- Maximum USD $100 per day per visit for up to 10 visits by a medical practitioner
- Maximum USD $1,000 for diagnostic and radiology services
- Maximum USD $500 for ambulance services
- Maximum USD $2,000 for miscellaneous expenses.
ICICI Overseas Travel Insurance General Exclusions
Exclusions that apply to ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance (circumstances in which cover is not provided) include:
- Claims arising out of pre-existing medical conditions, whether declared or undeclared
- Treatment for orthopaedic, degenerative or oncological diseases, unless life threatening or to relieve acute pain (excludes chemotherapy and radiotherapy)
- Treatment for any dental illness or injury
- Beauty or cosmetic treatment or reconstructive plastic surgery
- Treatment for debility, convalescence or recuperation at a spa, health resort or similar institution
- Mental or psychiatric disorders
- Pregnancy and childbirth complications, unless deemed life threatening
- Routine physical tests and examinations not related to illness or injury
- Vaccinations and inoculations, unless post-animal bite
- Rehabilitation, physiotherapy or chiropractic expenses or the cost of prostheses or prosthetics
- Self-inflicted illness or injury
- Cost of spectacles, contact lenses or hearing aids
- Donor hospitalisation expenses
- Naturopathy, homeopathy, acupuncture or other such therapies
- Circumcision, unless for treatment of an Illness or accident
- Weight management services and treatment, including treatment of obesity
- Treatment or surgery for change of sex or complications arising as a consequence
- Items and services related to personal comfort, convenience and hygiene
- Alternative treatments.
ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance Claim
In the event that you need to make a claim on your ICICI Lombard Travel Insurance, the following steps will need to be taken:
- Contact the insurer as soon as possible on their 24/7 help line to register your claim or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not incur any expenses related to the claim of more than USD $1,000, without prior consent from the insurer
- Forward the claim form and appropriate documents to the insurer within 30 days of returning home to your country of residence
- Include your original ticket or boarding pass or a photocopy of your passport with travel dates along with the claim form
- If requested to do so by the insurer, undergo a medical examination, the cost of which will be borne by the insurer
- Wait for assessment of your claim, which will be done as quickly as possible.