Greater Bank Travel Insurance
Can Greater Bank offer the right cover for you?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Whether you’re planning a short trip interstate or an international holiday, it’s important to have the right travel insurance to protect yourself and your belongings. And Greater Bank travel insurance has policies to suit most travellers and travel situations.
What policies are available from Greater Bank?
Greater Bank offers four levels of travel insurance cover, each designed for a particular type of traveller:
- Comprehensive. The highest level of cover with 19 travel and medical benefits under a single international trip policy, including emergency medical, delayed travel and cancellation expenses, and loss or damage to luggage and personal effects.
- Domestic. Australia-only cover for single trips of up to 365 days, including cover for delays, cancellations and loss or damage to luggage and personal effects.
- Essentials. Budget cover including international emergency assistance, overseas medical care, luggage and personal effects, and personal liability.
- Multi Trip. Provides 12-month multi-trip overseas and domestic cover for frequent travellers.
For an additional premium, Greater Bank travel insurance also offers two cover options with their Comprehensive, Domestic and Multi Trip plans:
- Snow Pack. Cover for emergency rescue, own snow sport equipment, snow sport equipment hire, snow sport pack, piste closure, and bad weather and avalanche closure.
- Cruise Pack. Cover for emergency dental expenses, medical cover while cruising, evacuation cover (ship to shore), cabin confinement, prepaid shore excursion cancellation, marine rescue diversion, and formal cruise attire loss, damage or delay.
What are the advantages of getting a policy?
Some of the key features of Greater Bank travel insurance policies include:
- Unlimited cover for overseas medical expenses – important to have if travelling to countries where medical care is expensive, such as the US and Japan.
- The ability to cover accompanying dependents under 25 – no need to take out separate cover for your dependants who can all be covered under the same policy if they are travelling with you.
- Cover in case your travel is delayed, cancelled or rescheduled – compensation for lost deposits and prepaid bookings and accommodation expenses if your trip is delayed.
- Cover for stolen travel documents and lost, damaged or stolen luggage or personal items – cover for personal belongings up to a benefit limit plus expenses related to replacing stolen travel documents.
- Cover for additional travel/accommodation expenses incurred during your journey due to sickness or injury – cover for alternative travel and accommodation arrangements if you or your travelling partner are injured or fall ill and are unable to continue your journey temporarily.
- Rental vehicle excess cover – covers the excess payable on a rental car if it is stolen or damaged whilst in your charge.
- Personal liability cover – covers your liability if you are responsible for the death or injury of a third party or loss or damage to their property whilst overseas.
- Worldwide 24/7 emergency assistance – access to Allianz Global Assistance for emergency assistance anywhere in the world at any time.
What won't be included in my policy?
Some of the circumstances in which Greater Bank travel insurance will not pay a benefit include:
- Acting recklessly – if you risk your own safety or the safety of your luggage and personal effects.
- Workers compensation – if your loss is recoverable by compensation from any other source.
- Errors or omissions – if your claim arises from errors or omissions in booking arrangements or failure to obtain correct travel documents.
- Illegal acts – if you breach any government prohibition or regulation, including visa requirements.
- Government confiscation – if your claim arises from a government authority confiscating, detaining or destroying anything.
- Vehicles – if you ride a motorcycle, moped or scooter without a current Australian motorcycle licence or are a passenger on a vehicle operated by someone without a licence.
- Epidemic/pandemic – if your claim arises from an epidemic or pandemic or the threat of an epidemic or pandemic.
- Government warning – if you fail to heed government travel warnings.
- War – if your claim arises from any act of war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or taking of power by the military.
- Nuclear – if your claim arises from a nuclear reaction or contamination from nuclear weapons or radioactivity.
- Chemical/biological – if your claim arises from biological or chemical materials used to harm or destroy human life or create public fear.
- Pre-existing medical – if your claim arises from your own, your travelling companion’s or a relative’s pre-existing medical condition.
- Travel against medical advice – if your claim is in respect of travel booked or undertaken by you against the advice of a medical adviser.
- Pregnancy – if your claim arises out of pregnancy, childbirth or related complications unless it is a single, uncomplicated pregnancy.
- Mental/nervous conditions – if your claim involves mental illness, dementia, depression, anxiety, stress or other mental or nervous conditions.
- Suicide – if your claim arises from your suicide, attempted suicide or attempted self-harm.
- Under the influence – if you are under the influence of an intoxicating liquor, substance or non-prescribed drugs.
- Complications – if you suffer complications from medical, surgical or dental procedures not covered by your policy.
- Sports and activities – if you participate in any sports or recreational activities not covered by your policy.
- Racing – if you participate in any race, speed or time trial or endurance event, except for amateur racing on foot.
- Diving – if you dive alone underwater greater than 10 metres.
- Air-supported device – if you travel in any air-supported device other than as a passenger in a licensed aircraft or hot air balloon.
- Protective gear – if you don’t wear appropriate protective clothing and head protection for the sport or activity you are participating in.
- Professional sport – if you or your travelling companion participate in professional sport of any kind.
More about Greater Bank
Greater Bank started life as the Newcastle and Hunter River Public Service Starr-Bowkett Building Co-operative Society Limited. The society was formed in response to economic depression, with the aim of making home ownership accessible at the lowest possible cost for its members.
Today, with over $6 billion in assets under management and more than 250,000 customers, Greater Bank continues to be customer-owned, with no shareholders and with profits reinvested to benefit members.
Greater Bank has a range of award-winning products including home loans, personal loans and financial planning services, and along with travel insurance their insurance solutions include car insurance, home and contents insurance, landlord and renters insurance, loan protection insurance and boat, caravan and trailer insurance.
Greater Bank travel insurance is underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, one of Australia's largest general insurers providing a wide range of insurance and risk management products and services to more than 3 million customers.
How can I make a claim?
In the event of a claim, immediate notice should be given to Allianz Global Assistance. Failure to do so within a reasonabltimeframeme could slow the processing time of your claim and could even reduce the amount of your claim.
To lodge a claim on your Greater Bank travel insurance, you'll need to have the following details and documents at hand:
- Your policy number and personal details
- Any supporting documentation for your claim, such as your itinerary, receipts and flight details
- Bank account details for payment of your claim
You can lodge your claim online in under 30 minutes or use the ‘save for later’ button at any stage to save your information to complete at a later time. Once submitted, your claim will be assessed and a member of the Allianz team will contact you within 10 business days, or if additional information is required, a written notification will be sent to you.
Ask an Expert