Are you looking for travel insurance that's underwritten by AXA Insurance UK? First choice offers comprehensive cover for UK residents.
If you’re lucky, your dream holiday will go exactly as planned. Flights will be on time, your luggage won’t get lost, your passport won’t get stolen and you’ll stay healthy. But if something goes wrong on your next journey, you could be left with a range of costly expenses that could damage your bank balance and ruin your holiday.
If you have travel insurance in place, you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have financial protection against an array of travel risks.
First Choice Travel Insurance offers comprehensive travel insurance underwritten by AXA Insurance UK, including benefits for overseas medical expenses, cancellation cover and much more. You can take out Silver, Gold or Platinum cover to suit your insurance needs and budget.
What does the First Choice Travel Insurance policy cover?
- Cancellation or curtailment charges. When you’re forced to cancel or curtail your trip due to circumstances beyond your control, such as if you suffer an injury or illness or if a relative dies, the policy covers the cost of your unused travel and accommodation costs and other prepaid charges.
- Emergency medical and other expenses. If you suffer injury, illness, disease and/or compulsory quarantine during your trip, First Choice will cover your emergency medical, hospital, ambulance, surgical and nursing costs. Emergency dental cover is also included along with cover for additional accommodation expenses, telephone calls and repatriation of your remains if you pass away.
- Hospital benefit. You will receive a cash allowance for every 24 hours you are hospitalised or confined to your accommodation on the orders of a doctor or due to quarantine requirements.
- Personal accident. The policy pays a specified benefit if you suffer a bodily injury during your trip that leads to your death, loss of limb, loss of sight or permanent total disablement within two years.
- Baggage. This benefit covers the cost of repairing or replacing luggage and personal belongings if they are lost, stolen or damaged.
- Personal money, passport and documents. This benefit provides cover for the loss, theft or damage to your money, passport and other important travel documents.
- Personal liability. If you’re responsible for causing bodily injury to someone else or damaging their property during your trip, First Choice provides cover for your personal liability.
- Delayed departure. If your public transport is delayed or cancelled due to strike, industrial action, adverse weather conditions, mechanical breakdown or technical fault, the policy provides cover for additional telephone call and meal expenses, as well as unused travel and accommodation costs.
- Missed departure. This benefit provides cover if you fail to arrive at the departure point in time for the public transport you are booked on for the initial outbound or return leg of your trip. In order for cover to apply, you must miss the departure due to the failure of other public transport, accident or breakdown of the vehicle in which you were travelling, an accident or breakdown ahead of you which causes a delay, or strike, industrial action or adverse weather. The benefit covers any additional accommodation and travel expenses you incur as a result.
- Legal expenses and assistance. This benefit covers your legal costs when pursuing compensation from someone who causes you injury, illness or death.
- Hijacking. This benefit provides financial protection when you are delayed reaching your destination due to hijacking.
- Mugging. If you need overseas medical treatment in a hospital after being mugged, you will receive a travel insurance benefit.
- Catastrophe cover. This benefit provides cover for additional accommodation and transport costs if you need to move to other accommodation during your trip due to fire, flood, earthquake, volcanic eruption, explosion, tsunami, landslide, avalanche, hurricane, storm or food poisoning outbreak.
- Home help. This benefit covers the cost of home help when you return home following injury, illness or disease during your trip.
- Additional options. First Choice Travel Insurance also features the following cover options: Winter Sports Cover and Golf Cover.
What sports are covered automatically?
First Choice Travel Insurance automatically covers a wide range of sports and activities, including:
- Beach games
- Boogie boarding
- Amateur cricket
- Cycling (two days only)
- Horse riding
- Sail boarding
- Scuba diving (down to 18m and up to two dives only)
- Whitewater rafting (up to grade 2)
Any additional cover?
You can also purchase the following additional cover options:
- Winter Sports Cover. This option includes cover for lost, stolen and damaged ski equipment, ski equipment hire and ski pack cover. Additional transport costs you incur due to piste closure are also covered, while additional accommodation and travel expenses are covered in the event of avalanche or landslide.
- Golf Cover. This First Choice Travel Insurance policy extension covers lost green fees when you must cancel or curtail your trip, as well as the loss, theft or damage of your golf equipment. You’ll also receive a benefit if you complete a hole in one during your trip.
What isn’t covered?
Your First Choice Travel Insurance claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by your unlawful action or any criminal proceedings against you
- It is for any other loss, damage or additional expense that follows on from the event for which you are claiming
- It relates to your operational duties as a member of the armed forces
- You travel to a country, area or event when the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) or a relevant authority in the country to/from which you are travelling has advised against travel
- It arises because you gained unauthorised access to a controlled or restricted area
- You fail to take reasonable precautions to prevent illness, injury, loss, theft or damage
- It arises due to war, invasion, civil commotion or terrorism
- It arises due to radioactive contamination
- It is for loss, destruction or damage caused by sonic bangs
- It is caused by your participation in any winter sports (unless you have purchased Winter Sports Cover)
- It relates to your participation in professional sports or professional entertaining
- It arises due to you completing manual work
- It is caused by self-inflicted injury, suicide or attempted suicide
- It is caused by drug or alcohol abuse
- It is caused by you climbing on or jumping from a vehicle, bridge, building, scaffolding or balcony
How do I claim?
If you wish to make a claim on your First Choice policy, you’ll need to contact the insurer as soon as possible to notify them of this fact. You’ll need to provide notification of your claim within 31 days of the injury, illness, disease or event occurring. The insurer will then be able to inform you of any claim form you need to fill out and submit, as well as any supporting documentation you may have to provide.
For example, if you’re claiming for cancellation or curtailment after being hospitalised on your trip, you may need to present a medical report or a letter from your doctor. If your luggage and personal belongings are stolen, you’ll need to report the matter to the local police and obtain a copy of the report.
Q. Who is eligible for cover?
- A. If single-trip cover is selected, you’ll need to be under the age of 86. If you want multi-trip cover, the policy is only available to applicants who are under 76 years of age. You’ll also only be able to take out cover if you’re a permanent resident of the United Kingdom and registered with a registered medical practitioner in the UK.
Q. What levels of cover are available?
- A. First Choice Travel Insurance is available as a Silver, Gold or Platinum policy, each of which provides different cover to suit a range of needs.
Q. How much cover is provided for emergency medical and other expenses?
- A. The level of cover depends on the policy you select. The Silver policy offers £2 million of cover, Gold provides £5 million and Platinum provides £10 million.
Q. Can I cancel my policy?
- A. Yes. You have the right to cancel your First Choice policy at any time. If you wish to cancel your cover within the first 14 days after you receive your policy documents, you’ll receive a full refund of your premiums.
Q. Does an excess apply?
- A. Yes. You’ll need to pay an excess when you make a claim under most sections of the policy. Check your policy documents for more details.
Q. Who underwrites First Choice Travel Insurance?
- A. The policy is underwritten by AXA Insurance UK.
Q. Will my annual multi-trip policy be automatically renewed each year?
- A. Yes. By purchasing travel insurance from First Choice, you agree to set up a continuous payment authority. This means your policy will be automatically renewed and the insurer will apply for renewal payments from your account each year until you opt out.
Q. What happens if I fail to pay my premium?
- A. The insurer reserves the right to cancel your policy at any time by providing written notice.
Q. How long do I have to notify the insurer of my claim?
- A. You’ll need to notify the insurer of your claim as soon as possible, but no later than 31 days after the incident that leads to your claim.
Q. What do I do if I need emergency assistance while overseas?
- A. You’ll need to contact AXA Assistance as soon as possible. You’ll find the relevant contact details in your policy document. AXA Assistance can provide international emergency medical assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.