First for Women travel insurance review
Whether you're a male or female you should never assume your travels will run smoothly. That is why you should be prepared with a travel insurance that is geared to meet your cover requirements.
Offered through Auto &General Insurance, 1st Woman Travel Insurance offers peace of mind to women travellers and their companions during travel, thanks to the wide range of policies that can be customised to suit your travel needs. This review will explore the different cover options available from 1st for Women and other benefits of taking out cover with this provider.
Who is 1st Women Travel Insurance?
Travel insurance policies offered by 1st Women Travel Insurance are underwritten by Auto & General Company Limited, which is an Australian insurance company and a part of the International Budget Insurance Group.
1st Women Travel Insurance aims to provide comprehensive insurance policies to women to meet their individual needs. As a woman traveller, you can take advantage of single and family cover for travelling.
If you intend travelling solo, you should opt for single cover offered by 1st Women Travel Insurance. If you are travelling as a family, the family cover option is ideal. Both, single and family cover, are categorised as Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. All categories of single cover offer unlimited overseas emergency medical assistance as well as unlimited emergency medical and hospital expenses. You also can take advantage of the following benefits, depending on which category you choose, as all benefits are not included in all categories.
- Overseas emergency dental expenses up to $500
- Additional accommodation, travel expenses and family emergency
- Return airfare
- Resumption of journey
- Hospital cash allowance
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques
- Theft of cash
- Luggage and personal effects
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits
- Alternative transport expenses
- Personal liability
Benefits of First for Women Travel Insurance
What makes First Women Travel Insurance reliable and trustworthy is the fact it is backed by Allianz Global Assistance, a renown insurance underwriter in Australia. You also have the benefit of choosing from a wide range of travel insurance policies.
Some of the product range offered by First Women Travel Insurance includes the following:
- Diamond Plan
Designed for worldwide travel to a number of different destinations
- Ruby Plan
Ideal for overseas travel
- Topaz Plan
It offers cover for worldwide travel
- Jetsetter Plan
This plan is for Australian as well as international travel
- Australia Platinum Plan
Designed for travel within Australia
- Australia Silver Plan
First for Women's comprehensive plan for travel in Australia
Depending on which plan you opt for, you can enjoy the following benefits.
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits is valid for all policies and plans
- Overseas emergency medical assistance which is not applicable to Australia Diamond and Australia Ruby plans
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses, which is not applicable for Australia Diamond and Australia Ruby plans offered by First Women Travel Insurance
- Additional expenses which is offered for all policies when you incur additional accommodation and travel expenses due to sickness, injury and/or death. It also covers your relatives and travelling companions
- Hospital cash allowance which pays you $50 a day if you are hospitalised for 48 consecutive hours
- Accidental death, which does not apply to Ruby, Topaz and Australia Ruby Plans. It offers death benefits if you die within 12 months of sustaining an injury caused during your journey
- Permanent disability is for complete loss of sight in one or both eyes or loss of hand or foot within 12 months of getting injured during your journey
- Loss of income ensures you get paid a specific sum weekly if you get injured and are unable to work for more than 30 days upon your return to Australia
- Cost for replacing travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques if they are lost or stolen during your journey
- Theft of cash entitles you cover up to $250
- Luggage and personal effects is covered by all First Women Travel Insurance policies for replacing or reimbursing repair costs
- Luggage and personal effects delay allowance pays you to buy essential clothing and personal items if your luggage and personal effects are misplaced or delayed for over 12 hours
- Travel delay expenses if your travel is disrupted and delayed for over 6 hours
- Alternative transport expenses if your transport gets delayed and you are unable to attend specific events, such as a wedding, funeral, conference or sporting event
- Personal liability if you cause injury to another person or damage someone else’s property during your journey
- Rental vehicle excess if your rental vehicle is stolen, crashed or damaged
First For Women Travel Insurance Policy Options
Whether you intend to travel within Australia or overseas, First For Women Travel Insurance has a policy that is just right for you. What makes this travel insurance even more attractive is you can get cover for a single trip within Australia or overseas, or you can get cover for an unlimited number of trips within a 12 month period. Annual policies are a great option for frequent travellers and is frequently used by business travellers.
First Women Travel Insurance offers the following policies for its women customers:
- 1st for Women Diamond, also known as Plan A
- 1st for Women Ruby, also referred to as Plan B
- 1st for Women Topaz, also known as Plan C
- 1st for Women Jetsetter, also called Plan D
- 1st for Women Australia Diamond, also called Plan E and meant just for travel within Australia
- 1st for Women Australia Ruby for domestic travel and also called Plan F
This policy also extends cover to your spouse and children or grandchildren if they are under 21 years of age.
All plans come with a range of cover types. You have the option of choosing one of the following:
- Single Cover: This will cover you and children or grandchildren accompanying you as long as they are under 21
- Duo Cover: You and your travel companion will be covered by the insurance. This cover is not extended to children
- Family Cover: If you intend travelling as a family, this is the cover you would want to take. The cover will be extended just to individuals mentioned on the Certificate of Insurance. There also are benefit limits to the claims, so make sure you understand these limits properly.
First for Women Travel Insurance Benefits
Depending on the type of travel insurance and cover option, you will enjoy certain benefits when you opt for First for Women Travel Insurance. Some of the benefit options that you can take advantage of are as follows:
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits: Unlimited cover for all single, duo and family cover
- Overseas emergency medical assistance: Up to $5,000 for all types of cover options
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses: Up to $5,000 for all cover options
- Dental cover: Up to $500 per person per journey
- Additional expenses: Different cover options offer different limits and it ranges from $10,000 to $50,000
- Hospital cash allowance: The amount varies depending on the type of policy and cover option.
- Accidental death: Not all travel insurance policies offer this benefit
- Permanent disability: If you lose your sight, foot or hand due to an accident or injury during your journey, you are entitled to this benefit, which can range from $20,000 to $40,000 based on your policy type
- Loss of income: You will get a specific amount weekly if you get injured and are unable to work for more than 30 days when you return Australia
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques: If your travel documents, credit cards or travellers cheques are lost or stolen, you will be reimbursed the cost for replacing them.
- Theft of cash: You will enjoy cover of up to $250 if your cash, bank notes, currency notes or postal orders are stolen from your person during the journey
- Luggage and personal effects: If your luggage is stolen or damaged during the journey, you will be provided with a benefit payment to cover the cost replacing or repairing it
- Luggage and personal effects delay allowance: If your carrier, delays or misdirects your luggage and you do not receive it for 12 hours, you will be paid an allowance for purchasing essential items
- Travel delay expenses: If your journey is delayed due to circumstances beyond your control, you will be paid meal and accommodation expenses after the first 6 hours of delay
- Alternative transport expenses: If your booked transport is delayed and you make alternative transport arrangements, you will be covered for it
- Personal liability: During your journey if you cause bodily injury to a person or damage another person’s property, you will be covered for personal liability
- Rental vehicle excess: In case your rental vehicle gets damaged, stolen or crashes, the insurance policy will pay for the excess as per your rental vehicle’s motor insurance
What is the First For Women Travel Insurance Excess?
First for Women Travel Insurance allows you to control your excess payment for the insurance policy based on the type of policy you choose. You have the option of reducing the standard excess as follows:
- The $200 excess amount can be reduced to just $100 if you pay an additional premium of $18
- The $200 excess can be brought down to zero if you pay an additional premium of $32
First for Women Travel Insurance plans A, B, D, E and F offer rental vehicle excess payment. If you hire a rental vehicle, your insurance policy will reimburse the rental vehicle insurance excess or cost of repairing the vehicle if the vehicle is involved in an accident while you were driving, it gets stolen or it gets damaged. To take advantage of the reimbursement, you would have to provide the copy of the repair invoice or quote.
The maximum amount that you can take advantage of for rental vehicle insurance excess payment is as follows:
- Plans A, D and E: $500
- Plans B and F: $250
First For Women Travel Insurance Claims Process
The team at First For Women Travel Insurance have worked hard to ensure making a claim is as stress free as possible.
In the event of a claim, you will first have to complete the claim form, which you can retrieve from the First Women Travel Insurance’s Client Services department or from the First For Women. After duly filling out the form, you would have to post it to the address printed on the form.
Make sure you fill out the form correctly and completely, so that their First for Women does not reject your claim or reduce your claim amount for causing a delay. You also are expected to provide any information that the Claims Department will require from you to ensure your claim is legitimate. Usually, this information is sought to support your claim and you would have to furnish it at your expense. The information usually required includes the following:
- Police reports
- Medical reports
- Original receipts
- Proof of ownership
If the documents are not in English, you will need to have them translated at your expense and submit them to the Claims Department.
In the event you are seeking dental, hospital or medical claim, you should get in touch with Allianz Global Assistance as quickly as possible.
If your claim is for loss or theft of luggage and personal effects, make sure you report the matter to the police and get a written police report, so that you can substantiate your claim.
In case the airline, accommodation provider or travel operator misplaces or damages your luggage and personal effects, you should report the matter to the relevant authorities and get a written report, which also should state any offer of settlement that has been made.
Any claim that you make should always be in writing and it should be submitted with 30 days of your return from your journey.