Vietnam is rapidly transforming into a culturally rich, entrepreneurial nation that embraces tourism and offers a range of experiences to the intrepid traveller. Located in Southeast Asia, Vietnam is a place of lush farmland, dense jungle, idyllic beaches and vibrant cities.
From haggling over a tailored suit in the streets of Hanoi to floating down a river swathed in jungle, from dreamlike landscapes of tiered fields and lilypads to the wartime tunnels of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam will take you on a journey of discovery.
Fast facts about Vietnam
Where is it? Vietnam is on the east of the Indochinese Peninsula in Southeast Asia, to the south of China and east of Cambodia and Laos.
How do I get there? Direct flights to Hanoi (from Sydney) and Ho Chi Minh City (from Melbourne and Sydney) are available, with connections also available from other cities in Australia. Direct flights take between 6 and 9 hours. Airlines include Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar, Vietnam Airlines, Scoot, AirAsia and China Southern. Read more...
When should I go? The best time to visit Vietnam is from February to April or from August to October, when there is less rain and the temperatures are mild. Read more...
What should I do?
- Explore the streets of Hanoi.
- Cruise around the islands of Halong Bay.
- Delve into Hang Son Doong cave.
- Delight your senses at a street food market.
- Snorkel or fish off Phu Quoc Island.
- Take a historical tour in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Hike up the Marble Mountains.
- Celebrate at one of Vietnam’s many festivals.
- Bag a bargain at a city market. Read more...