We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
There's no doubt that running a travel agency can be a rewarding experience. Before you start planning those once-in-a-lifetime holidays, however, you'll want to draft an agreement that protects your relationships with the service providers that make those dreams a reality.
Read on to find out what usually goes into an agreement, when you should use one and where you can find and download a travel agency agreement template that can save you time and money.
What's in this guide?
- What is a travel agency agreement?
- Where to get a travel agency agreement template
- Find a customisable legal template now
- When should I use a travel agency agreement?
- What does a travel agency agreement include?
- How do I write a travel agency agreement?
- Travel agency agreement vs tour operator agreement
- How effective is a travel agency agreement?
- Do I need a lawyer for a travel agency agreement?
What is a travel agency agreement?
Generally, a travel agency agreement is a document that details the key terms of a business relationship between a travel agent and a company that provides travel-related services. This could include a hotel, tour company or airline. The agreement gives the travel agent the authority to operate the business for the company including the ability to handle bookings, sales and services.
A legally-sound travel agency agreement contract can help protect your business from the risks involved, whether expected or unexpected.
Where to get a travel agency agreement template
Get it right the first time with a template that will ensure that your business is protected against legal risks. A legal document template can take the guesswork out of drafting your own travel agency agreement and many options can be found for free online.
Here's a selection of websites that let you download this type of agreement:
- Wonder.Legal. Choose from a slew of legal document templates, including an agency agreement which can be purchased for a one-time fee with Wonder.Legal.
- Sprintlaw. Sprintlaw offers a package where a lawyer will draft your travel agency agreement for you and includes phone consultations and a complimentary amendment to your final draft.
- Business in a Box. Access over 1,900 legal document templates with both free and paid plans.
- PandaDoc. With a free trial and a variety of monthly plans, PandaDoc lets you create documents, such as a travel agency agreement contract, with templates or its built-in editor.
- Template.net. A large collection of ready-made templates, including examples of a travel agency agreement that you can download for free.
- Typeset. Typeset offers a limited access free service as well as paid plans where you can edit, share and download your template in multiple file formats.
For a full list of options, check out our guide on websites to get legal documents and templates. You can quickly compare each brand and find coupon codes to help you potentially save on your travel agency agreement.
Find a customisable legal template now
Does your company belong in this list?
When should I use a travel agency agreement?
You should use a travel agency agreement when entering into a new relationship with a travel company where you will be given the authority to operate a business on its behalf or whenever terms of the original agreement have changed.
This could include both promoting and selling travel services and products for companies such as:
- Tour operators
- Coach companies
- Hotel groups
- Transport services such as ferry, rail companies, bus and car hire firms.
What does a travel agency agreement include?
While each travel agency agreement contract will vary depending on the nature of the business relationship, here are some of the key points that should be covered:
- Services. A detailed list of all travel-related services and accommodations that the travel agency is allowed to offer to clients.
- Company responsibilities. A list of responsibilities the travel provider will agree to. This can include whether the agency has an exclusive or non-exclusive licence and details on providing sales and marketing material to the travel agency.
- Travel agency responsibilities. A list of responsibilities the travel agency will agree to, which could include how sales are reported and how prices will be agreed upon.
- Payment. A section on how commissions will be calculated by the travel provider and paid to the travel agent.
- Disclosure. Expectations of how reservation bookings will be communicated along with any cancellations.
- Confidentiality. What is considered confidential and how each party will handle the treatment of this information including what will occur in the event of a breach. Travel agents may choose to use a standalone confidentiality agreement to ensure each aspect of private information is covered.
How do I write a travel agency agreement?
If you're keen to go it alone and develop your own travel agency agreement contract, then you'll need to make sure to capture all of the key terms that are relevant for your business relationship. Using examples and templates from trusted online sources should be your first step, followed by the option of having your contract reviewed by a lawyer.
Having a well-drafted travel agency agreement contract can make the difference between being protected or not so it's important to get the language and tone right. Review other travel agency agreements to make sure you're using wording that is easy to understand and can't be interpreted in multiple ways.
Travel agency agreement vs tour operator agreement
A tour operator is an organisation that creates and operates a holiday, sometimes having its own hotels, transportation service and ground staff. Unlike a travel agency agreement, a tour operator agreement is a document that covers your own services and the responsibility of your own company.
How effective is a travel agency agreement?
A travel agency agreement is an effective way of covering your business and its relationships with providers. As with any binding document, it's important that the agreement is in writing and signed by both the travel agent and the company providing the service.
When drafting your own agreement (versus using a template), you'll also need to ensure you comply with any requirements of applicable regulations.
Do I need a lawyer for a travel agency agreement?
No, you don't technically require a lawyer to write up a travel agency agreement; but one could be useful in a range of circumstances. For example, if conditions between the two parties are complicated or you're dealing with a large sum of money for sales commissions, then you could consider legal advice.
This one is a call you'll need to make yourself, depending on how comfortable you are drafting an agreement yourself or using a template online. Using an online legal service such as Sprintlaw or Wonder.Legal could be a good middle-ground rather than paying for a lawyer in full.Back to top
Ask an Expert