We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
We know that a training service agreement can make or break a company. That's why we've put together this guide, so you can write an effective agreement that protects your business.
Read on for advice and answers to some commonly asked questions about this essential document.
What's in this guide?
- What is a Training Service Agreement?
- When should I use a Training Service Agreement?
- Training Service Agreement vs Service Level Agreement
- What does a Training Service Agreement include and not include?
- How effective is a Training Service Agreement?
- Do I need to engage a lawyer?
- Get access to customisable Training Service Agreement templates online
- How do I write a Training Service Agreement?
- Where else can I get legal help online?
What is a Training Service Agreement?
A training service agreement is a comprehensive document that sets out the working relationship between a training service provider and a customer (i.e. the person receiving the services).
Along with a detailed description of the services that the trainer will deliver, the document should also address the terms and conditions of the relationship. You may find that some people also refer to this agreement as a training service level agreement.
Download this template at Lawpath
When should I use a Training Service Agreement?
Training providers offer their services in a variety of industries and specialities including fire safety, vocational employment and industry-recognised qualifications. You should utilise a training service agreement if you are someone that is:
- Onboarding the services of a training provider in any field,
- Providing your training service to a company.
Training Service Agreement vs Service Level Agreement
Both a training service agreement and a service level agreement outline the relationship between a service provider and a client. They explicitly state what is expected of both parties, helping both parties to understand where they stand in the relationship.
The main difference between these documents is that a service level agreement (also referred to as an SLA) is a more general document that applies to any type of service offered. A training service agreement, on the other hand, should only be used by qualified training providers.
What does a Training Service Agreement include and not include?
What's included in a Training Service Agreement?
You should customise your training service agreement to reflect the industry that you work in. That being said, it is essential to include the following as part of your document:
- When, how and what training services will be provided
- Terms and conditions of the service
- Payment details including the cost of the service and when payment is due
- Duties and responsibilities of both parties involved
- Warrantee or guarantees offered by the service provider
- Grounds for termination of the agreement
- Dispute management and resolution.
What isn't included in a Training Service Agreement?
You only need to include the essential information in your agreement. Avoid including information that adds no value or isn't relevant to the service you're providing.
How effective is a Training Service Agreement?
A well-written training service agreement is a great way to set up strong foundations with a new client. Not only does it set the tone for the relationship going forward, but it allows both parties to know what is expected from them from the offset. If a party breaches the terms and conditions set out in the agreement, you can use the document as evidence against them in court.
Do I need to engage a lawyer?
A training service agreement is a legally binding document between two parties. For this reason, it's likely to be a good idea to get a legal professional to look over the contract for you or to help you draft it up.
If a party breaches the terms of the agreement in the future, this will ensure that you have a watertight document that will hold up in an Australian court of law.
Get access to customisable Training Service Agreement templates online
There are numerous resources available online to use as guidance when you're putting together your agreement. These range from free templates to one-off legal advice. The brands in the table below are a few places you can get a helping hand.
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a Training Service Agreement?
There are several must-have clauses to include in your training service agreement. Firstly, it should describe the exact service that is being provided, before explaining how and when it will be delivered. It should also cover the details of both parties involved, including their individual responsibilities.
Once you've written your agreement, both parties must sign the document and keep a copy for their personal records.
Where else can I get legal help online?
Here's some more information on some of the leading online service providers in Australia:
- Lawpath. An online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs where you can browse through free legal templates. To edit and download the document, you'll need to sign up to a monthly plan.
- Law Depot. Home to a wide array of free legal documents, simply fill in the form online and download your agreement in just a few moments.
- LegalVision. LegalVision offers users unlimited use of free legal document templates in exchange for a monthly membership fee.
- Wonder Legal. Browse more than 140 legal document templates with Wonder Legal, all of which you can purchase for a one-time fee.
You can also check out our more comprehensive guide to legal advice and documents for further information on this subject.
More guides on Finder
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Best laser printers in Australia
We've found the seven best laser printers you can buy in Australia right now.
How much do dentures cost in Australia?
Find out how much dentures cost in Australia and how you can get cover with mid-level health insurance.
How to start a graphic design business
How to use your design skills as the basis for a profitable enterprise you can run from the comfort of your home.
Best water shoes in Australia
We dip our toes in the water to find the best water shoes for all your aquatic sports needs.
How to start a curtains and blinds business
Get all the important details on starting your own curtains and blinds business.
How to start an electronic repairs business
Turn your passion for electronics into a profitable company.
How to start a wallpaper business
Equip yourself with the right know-how to open your own wallpaper business.
How to start an SEO business
Helpful tips for starting and running a successful SEO agency.
Solar panels quote Darwin
Find and compare quotes from reputable companies in Darwin.
Ask an Expert