Toyota HiLux Insurance
Learn the facts so you can find the right insurance for your Toyota HiLux
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The Toyota HiLux is a vehicle synonymous with hard work. For five decades, the HiLux has proved through and through that reliability is in its bones, taking part in some of the toughest cross-country challenges in the world. It has gained a well-earned reputation as an “unbreakable” vehicle – a reputation that was strengthened even further through its trials on BBC’s Top Gear.
To learn how to get the best from your cover, keep premiums down and save on insurance costs, read our guide to Toyota Hilux insurance.
Compare some Toyota HiLux insurance options
What affects my Toyota HiLux insurance rate?
When assessing the risk of providing car insurance, many companies consider a number of factors. These can include your age, marital status, job and residence as well as your driving record, credit history and insurance history. Your vehicle will also be assessed on the following:
- Model and age of the HiLux
- Safety rating, security and any anti-theft precautions
- Annual mileage
- Engine capacity
How can I save on my Toyota HiLux premiums?
We have some advice that may help you save money on your premiums:
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Some insurers will charge you more if you choose to pay monthly. Opt to pay annually and this could save you money in the long run and make insurance a little less stressful.
- Claim less. Having a history of not making any claims on any insurance policies may help you get lower premiums on your HiLux cover.
- Minimise your use. Instead of zipping down to the shops in your HiLux or running the maze of the city, walk or catch public transport to reduce your premiums. You’ll also save on petrol and reduce your chances of an accident.
- Question your renewal quote if it seems high. Don’t be afraid to shop around and see what the market has to offer. You could either find a cheaper option or use the information you find to haggle for a better price with your current provider.
- Safety first. Risk is an insurer’s biggest fear. Any additional safety measures you take, such as higher quality brakes, locks or safety belts, will encourage a lower premium with your cover.
- Drive safely. While a car can be as safe as a house, the driver will always be considered the main risk. Drive safely, sensibly and always within the law to avoid convictions, fines or demerit points, all of which may raise your risk in the eyes of a provider – and the premiums for your cover.
Toyota HiLux facts
- The Toyota HiLux has a strong reputation as an “unbreakable” vehicle, famously demonstrated on BBC’s popular program, Top Gear, where a used Toyota HiLux diesel was dunked in the ocean, set alight and placed atop a building which was then demolished. This would kill an ordinary vehicle, but the HiLux chugged on happily.
- Over 50 years in production, the HiLux has completed the world’s toughest cross-country challenges, including Dakar, and has long been the vehicle of choice for tradesmen, farmers and government agencies.
- It’s the only ute ever to top Australia’s annual new-sale vehicle charts. The Toyota HiLux, now in its eighth generation, comes in over 30 variants for chassis, cab, drive, back and engine capacity, and it remains one of the most popular and reliable work vehicles on the market.
How safe is the Toyota HiLux?
The Toyota HiLux has maintained the maximum 5-star ANCAP safety rating since 2015. Electronic stability control with trailer sway control and seven airbags come as standard across the range as well as a reverse camera on all pick-up models. However, the HiLux’s main competitor, the Ford Ranger, includes advanced safety tech not found in any of the HiLux models, such as lane-departure warning, forward collision warning and Auto Emergency Braking (AEB).
All dual-cab HiLuxs do include an ISOFIX child seat anchor point, which is perfect for a family with a baby seat or two.
If you are interested in more information about this workhorse, check out our Toyota HiLux review.
More guides on Finder
Dash cam installation services
How to find a quality dash cam installer.
Road rage tips from car insurers
A Budget Direct study reveals what makes drivers angry and shares tips on how to stay cool.
2020 Toyota Camry review
Four expert reviews of the Toyota Camry in one
How useful is a home insurance calculator?
A home insurance calculator can give you a rough estimate on the value of your home and contents. But is that what you really want? Find out how to not underinsure or overinsure your home.
MG HS Essence Review: hands-on
What if I were to tell you that there is an SUV you can purchase in Australia that has all the trimmings of a premium model, like Autonomous Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, electrically adjustable seats and more, for just 36 grand?
2021 Ute guide
Looking for a new ute? Don't buy one till you've read our 2021 ute guide
RAA Roadside Assistance
Find out what RAA Roadside Assistance covers you for and how much it costs.
Car registration Queensland
What you need to know about car registration in Queensland, from the different fees to the rego costs.
Finder car insurance rating
Want to know how we ranked our car insurers? Check out our methodology here.
COVID Car-ching! 9 million Aussies could save on their car insurance
In recent Finder survey shows that 28% of Australians are not driving their cars as much as they were pre-pandemic.
Ask an Expert