Toyota HiLux Insurance
Learn the facts so you can find the right insurance for your Toyota HiLux
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Toyota HiLux is a vehicle synonymous with hard work. For five decades, the HiLux has proved through and through that reliability is in its bones, taking part in some of the toughest cross-country challenges in the world. It has gained a well-earned reputation as an “unbreakable” vehicle – a reputation that was strengthened even further through its trials on BBC’s Top Gear.
To learn how to get the best from your cover, keep premiums down and save on insurance costs, read our guide to Toyota Hilux insurance.
Compare some Toyota HiLux insurance options
What affects my Toyota HiLux insurance rate?
When assessing the risk of providing car insurance, many companies consider a number of factors. These can include your age, marital status, job and residence as well as your driving record, credit history and insurance history. Your vehicle will also be assessed on the following:
- Model and age of the HiLux
- Safety rating, security and any anti-theft precautions
- Annual mileage
- Engine capacity
How can I save on my Toyota HiLux premiums?
We have some advice that may help you save money on your premiums:
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Some insurers will charge you more if you choose to pay monthly. Opt to pay annually and this could save you money in the long run and make insurance a little less stressful.
- Claim less. Having a history of not making any claims on any insurance policies may help you get lower premiums on your HiLux cover.
- Minimise your use. Instead of zipping down to the shops in your HiLux or running the maze of the city, walk or catch public transport to reduce your premiums. You’ll also save on petrol and reduce your chances of an accident.
- Question your renewal quote if it seems high. Don’t be afraid to shop around and see what the market has to offer. You could either find a cheaper option or use the information you find to haggle for a better price with your current provider.
- Safety first. Risk is an insurer’s biggest fear. Any additional safety measures you take, such as higher quality brakes, locks or safety belts, will encourage a lower premium with your cover.
- Drive safely. While a car can be as safe as a house, the driver will always be considered the main risk. Drive safely, sensibly and always within the law to avoid convictions, fines or demerit points, all of which may raise your risk in the eyes of a provider – and the premiums for your cover.
Toyota HiLux facts
- The Toyota HiLux has a strong reputation as an “unbreakable” vehicle, famously demonstrated on BBC’s popular program, Top Gear, where a used Toyota HiLux diesel was dunked in the ocean, set alight and placed atop a building which was then demolished. This would kill an ordinary vehicle, but the HiLux chugged on happily.
- Over 50 years in production, the HiLux has completed the world’s toughest cross-country challenges, including Dakar, and has long been the vehicle of choice for tradesmen, farmers and government agencies.
- It’s the only ute ever to top Australia’s annual new-sale vehicle charts. The Toyota HiLux, now in its eighth generation, comes in over 30 variants for chassis, cab, drive, back and engine capacity, and it remains one of the most popular and reliable work vehicles on the market.
How safe is the Toyota HiLux?
The Toyota HiLux has maintained the maximum 5-star ANCAP safety rating since 2015. Electronic stability control with trailer sway control and seven airbags come as standard across the range as well as a reverse camera on all pick-up models. However, the HiLux’s main competitor, the Ford Ranger, includes advanced safety tech not found in any of the HiLux models, such as lane-departure warning, forward collision warning and Auto Emergency Braking (AEB).
All dual-cab HiLuxs do include an ISOFIX child seat anchor point, which is perfect for a family with a baby seat or two.
If you are interested in more information about this workhorse, check out our Toyota HiLux review.
More guides on Finder
Six of the best electric cars in Australia
Here are some of the best electric cars in Australia in 2021.
Toyota RAV4 car loans
Compare car loans and discover prices and specs of the Toyota RAV4.
How to find safe, secure and affordable boat storage near you.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris review
There's a bunch of hot hatches out there at the moment, has the Toyota GR Yaris just trumped them all?
Nissan Navara N-Trek Warrior review
The Nissan Navara N-Trek Warrior ticks a lot of boxes in a very popular segment in Australia.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
2021 Kia Carnival review
Kia's all-new 2021 Carnival people-mover is styled like an SUV. Read our review here.
Ask an Expert