We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you've suffered wrongdoing and you plan to sue someone or a company for damages, you may want to think about hiring a tort lawyer. They are experts in such cases and can steer you in the right direction.
Read on to find out more about the services offered by tort lawyers and where to find free quotes online.
Where can I find a tort lawyer online?
Does your company belong in this list?
What is a tort lawyer?
A tort lawyer can protect you from harm, loss or damage by a third party. They put in place provisions so that you suffer no harm or loss through your relationship with the individual or company. Tort lawyers deal with civil wrongs and work on your behalf to sue for damages or other compensation.
Tort law usually falls under the category of common law, but some cases are tried under statutory law. Tort is another word for civil wrong or personal injury.
When should I use a tort lawyer?
You would need a tort lawyer if you want to sue a third party for damages, loss, injury or if you want to get an injunction to stop the harmful behaviour from continuing.
Tort lawyers are also needed in the following cases:
- Negligence: Lack of care causing harm, loss or injury
- Defamation: False statements issued against another
- False imprisonment.
Tort lawyer vs criminal lawyer
Tort lawyers act on behalf of individuals to sue for compensation as a result of wrongdoings. Meanwhile, criminal lawyers act on behalf of the state and protect citizens against criminals by sentencing them.
What does a tort lawyer do and not do?
If you have been wronged and suffered harm, loss, damage or injury, you will want to consult with a tort lawyer and ask for a free quote. A tort lawyer's services typically include:
What they do
- Dignitary torts
- Duty to visitors
- Economic torts
- Intentional torts
- Property torts
- Strict liability torts.
What they don't do
A tort lawyer does not litigate breaches of contract or disputes of a contractual nature. For that you'd need lawyer who specialises in civil litigation.
How effective is a tort lawyer?
They can be very effective. A tort lawyer can help you bring a tort or civil wrong to court. They can sue for damages or claim compensation for harm done. They can also help you to draft the necessary contracts to prevent a tort from happening to you. They counsel, advise and litigate on your behalf, representing your case in court and making sure agreements and orders are met.
Do I need a tort lawyer?
If you have a grievance and can prove injury, loss or damages done, you may well need a tort lawyer to help you bring it to court and ultimately win your case for you. A tort lawyer can also be instrumental in proposing fair compensation for the claimant's tort.
How do I get a free quote for a tort lawyer?
It's easy to get a free quote for a tort lawyer by searching online for lawyers.
Some of the sites to consider include:
- Lawpath offers three free proposals from its legal marketplace when you create an account with them. It gives you the opportunity to compare lawyers before you hire one and contacting them is easy, just call or chat directly from your account.
- Heathfield Grosvenor Lawyers offer a full range of commercial lawyer advice from advertising and marketing, commercial agreements, competition and consumer law, to trade promotions, franchising, and more. You get your first consultation free, with a fixed fee for quotes.
- LegalVision offers a monthly membership for $199 that gives small- to medium-businesses unlimited access to free downloads of legal document templates and access to free quotes from their team of online lawyers.
Before you request a quote or seek out a lawyer, make sure you have all the necessary paperwork in order. This will not only save you time and money, but it ensures you get the most out of your first consultation.
Ask an Expert