We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The easiest and safest way to buy Bitcoin is from a cryptocurrency exchange.
With 30+ platforms available to buy Bitcoin from in Australia, it can be overwhelming to choose. Our experts have compared exchanges so you don't have to.
For beginners our experts consider:
- Ease of use. From the sign-up process through to purchases, we assess which platforms are easiest for beginners.
- Minimum trades. Unlike traditional investments, some cryptocurrency exchanges don't have a minimum amount of money you need to start with, which is good for beginners dipping their toe in the crypto world.
- Fees. No one likes fees so we've assessed exchanges with the most competitive fees in the market.
Best for beginners: CoinSpot
CoinSpot Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Simple design
- Diverse altcoin range with 300+ to choose from
- Advanced trading features
- 1% trading fee can quickly add up
- Only supports AUD deposits from an Australian bank account
- High spreads
CoinSpot is one of the more popular Australian cryptocurrency exchanges, particularly for beginners. With CoinSpot you can deposit fiat currency (AUD) and make a purchase within minutes. There's no need to stress about currency conversion, market making or order limits.
||POLi & PayID: None
Direct Deposit: 0%
Direct bank transfer: None
||None for Australian bank accounts
||Instant buy: 1%
Market order: 0.1%*
*Applies to BTC, XRP, LTC, DOGE, ETH, NEO, POWR, GAS, TRX, EOS, XLM, RChain, RFOX
Best for AUD purchases: Swyftx
Swyftx Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Transparent fee structures and 0.6% trading fee also comes with a discount for high-volume traders
- Hybrid exchange with advanced features
- Demo account for beginner traders to practice trading
- Does not offer an order book for variable pricing
- Platform may be confusing for beginners
- Can only be used by Australian, NZ and UK residents
Swyftx is the ideal exchange for buying Bitcoin with AUD due to its integration with Osko bank transfers and low fees. Users can send money to their Swyftx account instantly using bank transfer and POLi pay methods.
AUD deposits: $0
AUD withdrawals: $0
Best for low fees: Binance
Binance Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Huge range of features and investment options
- Low fees including discounts for users that pay their fees with BNB
- Global reputation
- Complex for beginners
- Large amounts of money deposited on platform may risk exploitation
Binance is the most popular cryptocurrency exchange on the market based on trading volume. It has one of the best reputations in the industry and is available in a wide number of countries. Binance offers some of the lowest trading fees out there, with users able to purchase Bitcoin with fees as low as 0–0.1%. Binance is suitable for both beginners and experienced traders. So if you find yourself wanting to explore cryptocurrencies further, Binance will accommodate most of your needs.
Best for social trading: eToro
eToro Cryptocurrency Trading
- Interact with other traders
- Get access to multiple markets like global stocks and cryptocurrency
- Simple user design
- Complex fee structure
- Small range of cryptocurrencies
- High minimum deposit of US$50 and order of US$25
eToro has been around for over a decade now, originally starting as an online exchange for shares and commodities. Since then, it has branched out into cryptocurrency while retaining its focus on trading. eToro has ample support for traders, including advanced buy and sell features. The feature that separates eToro from the rest when it comes to trading is its social elements. eToro's platform is filled with like-minded investors, where you can discuss trades and share news about crypto events. You can even see what trades other top investors make and copy them.
||Fees vary (conversion fees for non-USD deposits)
(US$50 minimum deposit)
||US$5 (minimum withdrawal of US$50)
||Fees vary. Overnight and weekend fees apply
How we choose these services
These are our top picks but this isn't a complete comparison of every available exchange – so our favourites may not be the best choice for you. Read our full methodology here to see how we decide on our top picks.
Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of cryptocurrency or any specific
provider, service or offering. It is not a recommendation to trade.
Compare cryptocurrency exchanges
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrencies are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly
volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance is no guarantee of
future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information.
You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory
requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators' websites before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may
have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.