Looking for affordable travel insurance that still delivers on cover? Learn more about Tick Standard Travel Insurance
From lost luggage to medical emergencies, when something goes wrong on your holiday it can quickly turn the perfect trip into a complete disaster. But if you have travel insurance cover in place, you can enjoy financial protection when the proverbial hits the fan.
Show code & visit sitefi****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Who owns Tick Travel Insurance?
Tick Travel Insurance offers a selection of travel insurance policies to suit the needs and budgets of a variety of Australian travellers. Owned by MAPFRE ASISTENCIA, a company which insures more than 100 million people globally, Tick offers travel insurance that is easy to understand and includes a range of competitive features.
What is covered?
- Cancellations and curtailments. Certain emergency circumstances may force you to cancel your trip before you leave home or cut it short halfway through, such as if you need to care for a sick relative. When this happens, Tick Standard Travel Insurance offers cover for the money you would otherwise forfeit in the form of cancellation fees and non-refundable deposits.
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses. When you experience a medical emergency overseas, the resulting medical and hospital expenses you incur will be covered by your policy. This includes ambulance transportation, medical repatriation to Australia and even the cost of emergency dental treatment.
- Emergency expenses. When your trip is disrupted or you experience an emergency while abroad, the additional flight, accommodation, meal and phone call expenses you incur will be covered by your policy.
- Travel delay. When your travel is delayed for more than 12 hours due to circumstances outside your control, for example due to industrial action affecting your airline, you’ll receive cover for additional costs you incur as a result such as buying food and drink.
- Baggage and valuables. Losing your personal belongings or having them stolen or damaged during your trip can be inconvenient and expensive. However, Tick Standard Travel Insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your luggage and personal belongings when this occurs.
- Baggage delay. This benefit provides the funds you need to purchase clothing, toiletries and other emergency items when an airline misplaces your luggage.
- Passports and money. Lost, stolen or damaged passports, visas, cash and travellers cheques can be replaced with the funds provided under this benefit.
- Natural disaster cover. You will be covered for losses related to unexpected and extraordinary natural phenomena such as floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides, volcanic eruptions, atypical cyclonic storms.
- Personal accident. When accidental injuries suffered on your trip lead to permanent disability or even death, your policy provides a lump sum benefit payment to help you or your loved ones manage financially.
- Personal liability. If you’re involved in an accident overseas that results in an injury to someone else or damage to their property, Tick Standard Travel Insurance covers your legal defence costs and any compensation you may be required to pay.
- Rental vehicle excess waiver. Avoid the expensive excess charged by hire companies when your rental car is stolen, damaged or crashed.
|Cancelling your trip before departure||$5,000|
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited|
|Return of body or ashes to Australia||$20,000|
|Funeral or burial expenses outside Australia||$10,000|
|In hospital benefit||$75 per 24 hours up to $1,500|
|Cutting your trip short||$5,000|
|Additional emergency expenses||$10,000|
|Travel delay||$50 per 12 hours up to $500|
|Personal belongings and baggage||$4,000|
|Passport and travel documents||$2,000|
|Death of dependant child||$7,500|
|Personal liability||$1.5 million|
|Rental vehicle excess waiver||$2,000|
|Loss of income||$5,200|
What additional cover is available?
If you want to add extra cover to your policy you can choose from two options: winter sports cover and additional specified items cover. The first option covers you for things like lost or stolen ski equipment and piste closure, while the second option allows you to take out extra cover for high-value items. See the Tick Standard Travel Insurance additional benefits table below for more information.
|Winter sports cover|
|Winter sports equipment||$1,250|
|Winter sports equipment hire||$50 per 24 hours up to $500|
|Ski pack||$150 per 24 hours up to $600|
|Piste closure||$50 per 24 hours up to $500|
|Additional specified items cover|
|Specified items||Up to $4,000 for a single item, up to $6,000 for combined items|
What are the general exclusions?
Your Tick Standard Travel Insurance claim will not be paid if:
- You are aware of any pre-existing medical condition that could lead to a claim but do not notify the insurer
- Any insured person is awaiting treatment for undiagnosed symptoms or conditions, or is travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner
- Any insured person has suffered from diabetes, a heart condition, a blood circulatory condition, stroke, brain haemorrhage, epilepsy, breathing condition, anxiety or depression in the past five years
- It is related to suicide, attempted suicide or you deliberately putting yourself in danger
- It is caused by war, revolution, civil riot or terrorism
- It arises as a result of you travelling to a region for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has previously issued a travel warning
- It results from you riding a motorcycle unless you are wearing a helmet, hold a valid licence for the country you are in, and if you are using a motorcycle rated 125cc or higher you must hold a licence in Australia that allows you to ride a bike of a similar capacity
- It is for consequential loss of any kind
- It is caused by your involvement in any illegal or criminal activity
- It results from your participation in humanitarian or missionary work.
How do I make a claim?
To make a claim with Tick Standard Travel Insurance, download the applicable claim form from the Tick Travel Insurance website. Once you’ve printed out and completed this form you will need to return it to Tick along with any other documentation you may be required to provide. This could include police or medical reports, receipts, valuations and more.
Also, remember that you must notify Tick of your claim as soon as possible within 30 days of returning to Australia.
Standard Tick Travel Insurance FAQs
Q. What should I do if my luggage is stolen?
Make sure to report the theft to the police or other relevant authority and obtain a record of your report. This will come in handy when it comes time to make a claim.
Q. I left my luggage unattended in a public place and it was stolen – will I be covered?
No, you need to take all reasonable steps to prevent yourself suffering a loss.
Q. Can I take out cover even if I’m a senior citizen?
A. Yes, Tick Standard Travel Insurance is available for applicants up to 100 years of age.
Q. Where around the world am I covered?
A. Tick will provide cover in more than 100 countries around the globe. Read the PDS for a full list of covered destinations.
Q. Is it possible to take out cover once I’ve already started my trip?
A. No, you’ll need to take out cover before you go, but policies can be purchased up to 12 months in advance.
Q. What is the maximum trip length that Tick Standard Travel Insurance will cover?
A. Tick Standard Travel Insurance covers journeys up to 365 days in duration.
Q. What is the highest level of cover available from Tick Travel Insurance?
Top Tick Travel Insurance offers this insurance provider’s most comprehensive level of cover. You can find out more about this policy elsewhere on finder.com.au.
Q. I want cheaper cover for the essentials - is this available?
Yes, Tick offers a Basic Travel Insurance policy that offers overseas medical costs, additional emergency expenses, personal belongings and baggage, and personal liability.
Q. Can I send my claim form via email?
A. Yes, if you’d prefer to submit your claim form via email than post, you can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. Can I take out cover for my kids?
A. Children under the age of 18 and any dependants travelling with you are automatically covered under this policy.
Q. What excess will I have to pay when I claim?
A standard $200 excess applies to this policy, but if you’re happy to pay a higher premium you can select a lower excess when you apply for cover.
Q. How long does it take for claims to be processed?
A. Once you’ve supplied your completed claim form and all the necessary supporting documentation, Tick will assess your claim within 10 business days.
Compare Standard Tick Travel Insurance now
Tick Standard Travel Insurance offers a good combination of features and affordability in one policy. But before you decide whether its the right policy for you, compare it with a number of other travel insurance policies.