Thrifty Uber Rental
Thrifty offers registered UberX drivers four rental options with low weekly rates and standard Premium Protection cover.
If you’re looking to become an UberX driver, Thrifty offers a convenient option with its rental packages. Starting at $246 per week, you can choose from four vehicle models depending on your your driving needs. Applications are approved quickly and you can be driving your rental car within three days of signing up. Rental periods vary between one week and two months, and you can renew your agreement for the same or another vehicle.
Whilst we don't compare offers from this company, please use the table below to compare similar products.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Things to consider with Thrifty's Uber rental
When collecting your car, it’s important to inspect it closely and report any anomalies to the Thrifty agent.
The car must be returned after a maximum of eight weeks of consecutive use. If you decide to return the car before the end of the contract, early return fees will apply. Rental fees don’t include liability, extra kilometres, cleaning and toll fees.
Features of Thrifty’s vehicle rental
If you’re ready to rent a vehicle from Thrifty, here are some of the features to keep in mind.
- Uber drivers. This type of rental agreement is available to registered UberX drivers only. During the application, you will be asked to specify how many hours you expect to drive each week.
- Assistance. If you aren’t already an Uber driver, Thrifty can assist you in becoming one and then renting a vehicle to get started.
- Rental period. You can rent a Thrifty car for a period of between one and eight weeks. Once completed, you have the option to renew your contract.
- Quick application. Filling in the online application form takes just a few minutes, and you can start driving your rental within three days of submitting the application.
- Four options. Depending on your driving preference and experience, you can choose between four models, including hatchback, sedan, SUV or a larger vehicle. Each model has its own fees schedule.
- Standard insurance. Each agreement includes Premium Protection cover, which comes with standard roadside assistance for yourself and an authorised additional driver.
- Single pick-up location. Cars must be collected and dropped off at a designated location in the Sydney CBD. If you drop it off elsewhere, you’ll be charged a fee.
How much does it cost to rent a vehicle with Thrifty?
Here are some of the associated fees and charges.
- Weekly rental fees. Fees start at $246 per week for the hatchback option. The full-size option’s rate is set at $339 per week. An advance amount is debited from your nominated credit card, followed by a debit at the beginning of each week.
- Tolls. You are given an e-Toll tag for your car and toll fees are charged to your credit card.
- Deposit. Thrifty will “hold” a deposit amount on your card during the rental period.
- Damage Recovery and Single Vehicle Accident fees. Thrifty might also charge these fees to your card to cover any damage detected once you return the vehicle. Any difference will be credited to your card. However, if the amount is not enough to cover the damage, your card will be charged again with the amount outstanding.
- Early return fee. If you return your vehicle before the end of the rental contract, you will be charged a fee.
How to sign up with Thrifty
To sign up with Thrifty you just have to complete the online form on Thrifty's website. In order to qualify, you must:
- be at least 25 years old
- be a registered UberX driver
- live in or near the Sydney CBD
- own a smartphone
- have a clean driving record
- have a valid Australian driver’s licence.
You will be asked to provide the following documents:
- Driver’s licence
- Proof of address
- Passport or ID card
Renting from Thrifty can be a great option if you want to drive with Uber, but keep in mind the eight-week maximum rental period, and compare a range of Uber rental options before you sign up.