Top car hire deals for your next Thredbo ski trip.
Thredbo ski resort is the perfect place to hit the slopes, but the beautiful, mountainous surroundings are not to be missed either. The perfect way to take in the breathtaking, natural landscapes is by car.
If you're thinking of embarking on a road trip to experience the sights, we've hunted down the best car hire deals that will allow you take it all in at your own pace.
We've also got the need-to-know info on which rental companies are available from Wagga Wagga airport, the Thredbo rules of the road and the ins and outs of car insurance.
Top car hire Thredbo deals
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
Road rules: What to know about driving in Thredbo
Like everywhere else in Australia, in Thredbo you drive on the left side of the road. Other road rules and tips you should be aware of, even if you’re familiar with Australian roads, include:
- Check access is available: Kosciuszko Road, which runs between Perisher Blue and Charlotte Pass, is often closed during snow season, except to residents. Overnight parking beyond Sawpit Creek is also not permitted. If in doubt, check conditions on the Live Traffic NSW website before travelling.
- Use antifreeze: Adding antifreeze to your windscreen washing fluid can prevent it from freezing on the windscreen while driving. When parked, it's also good to lift your wipers as they can freeze in position when the temperature drops and then snap when you turn them on.
- Look out for black ice: Be wary when driving as black ice can surface overnight, and it’s slippery and dangerous to drive on.
- Pack snow chains: It's illegal to travel into the National Park and designated snow and ice risk areas without snow chains. These can picked up in local resorts like Jindabyne or at petrol stations. The only exception is four wheel drives. Current designated snow and ice risk sections are Alpine Way (from Thredbo to Tom Groggin), Kosciuszko Road and Guthega Road.
Popular Thredbo driving routes
- Alpine Way: If you’re searching for sweeping mountain views and unending vistas, try a road trip along Alpine Way. This road links Jindabyne in the southern reaches of Kosciuszko National Park to Khancoban, near the Victorian border.
- Lower Snowy Drive (Barry Way): Lower Snowy Drive is a stretch of open-ended road that swings past picnic spots, swimming holes and lookouts in the Snowy River valley before crossing the NSW state line.
FAQs about car hire
Who offers cheap car hire from Wagga Wagga and Albury Airports?
How does car insurance work?
Depending on the level of cover you choose, car hire rental excess insurance can reduce the excess payable to a more reasonable amount, in the event that you need to make a claim. Rental excess insurance can even eradicate the excess completely.
Often, car hire companies offer insurance when you book, though you always have the choice to purchase insurance through an alternate insurer. You can find out more details and compare car hire insurance policies here.