Los Angeles attractions: The 6 best things to do in LA
Discover the magic of Los Angeles with these iconic activities.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The buzzing city of Los Angeles is a haven for exciting and memorable activities to do. The only problem is deciding which ones to do.
To help you plan that ultimate itinerary we've sharing with you a short list of our favourites - as well as where to book them for the best price.
Top things to do in Los Angeles
1. See Santa Monica, Downtown, Hollywood Hills and Runyon Canyon on foot
Nobody would ever suggest tackling Los Angeles without a car, but once you pick your patch for the day, pull over and explore on foot. Compact areas which can be easily wandered are Downtown, Silver Lake, Santa Monica and Venice.
If you're more into hiking than history, see Hollywood’s natural beauty with a Hollywood Hills hiking tour.
Maybe you need to escape the hustle and bustle of LA for a few hours? If so, head to Runyon Canyon for an invigorating sight. There’s a tour to suit every need. Klook has a bunch of walking tours, and if you plan ahead, you can save some cash.
2. Visit The Getty Center or The Broad
Is art and culture more your thing? LA's newest contemporary art gallery, The Broad, is home to some amazing pieces that are very Insta-friendly. The Getty Center in Los Angeles also boasts an impressive collection, featuring well-known artists such as Van Gogh and Monet. But the art isn’t the only thing worth checking out.
The Getty also offers the best views of Bel-Air. Get the most out of your day and pair your Getty visit with a tour of the lavish homes of movie stars.
3. Go on a rollercoaster at Universal Studios, Disneyland and more
Whether you’re seeking thrills or a family-friendly day out, Los Angeles has a plethora of amusement parks that cater to big and little kids alike. Universal Studios is perfect for those movie buffs out there, while Disneyland is perfect for those that want a little escapism.
If you’re after a park for the kids, then Legoland is a youngster’s dream. Perhaps you’re a fan of picturesque seaside fun? If so, Pacific Park at Santa Monica Pier is the place to go. Get the fairy floss ready and prepare to scream your head off.
4. Book a seat at the Hollywood Bowl or Walt Disney Concert Hall
Spend a night under the stars and catch a concert at the renowned Hollywood Bowl. This natural amphitheatre is a must-visit for any music lover, having hosted everyone from Bob Dylan to The Beatles.
Attending a performance at the Walt Disney Concert Hall is a perfect treat for your ears and eyes. The building is visually spectacular.
Free self-guided audio tours are available as are guided tours.
5. Chow down at the Farmers Market or local vineyard
Some people say the best way to experience a city is to taste it. Explore hundreds of restaurants and grocers at the Original Farmers Market. This LA fixture is one of the best eateries in the city.
Special mention goes to Light My Fire, a store filled with hundreds of different hot sauces. Not sure where to start? Book a tour with some locals.
Is vino more your style? Viator has a bunch of vineyard tours that might take your fancy.
6. Drive to Malibu or down Mulholland Drive
Hire a car and go on a scenic drive through the picturesque streets of Los Angeles. Smell the ocean air as you make your way through Malibu, or treat your inner film buff as you coast down Mulholland Drive. Remind yourself where you are as you trek through the quintessentially Los Angeles landscape that covers Griffith Park.
For a carefree experience, we recommend booking a car to explore at your own pace.
3 things to do in Los Angeles with kids
- Visit Disneyland: It's not considered the "happiest place on Earth" without good reason. With the chance of meet their favourite Disney Princesses and ride themed coasters, they're guaranteed to leave with grins on their face.
- Connect with nature in Griffith Park: For a budget-friendly day-out, explore the natural terrain of Griffith Park. It's 4,210 acres of hiking and biking trails through native flora and fauna.
- Relive your favourite films at Warner Bros. or Universal Studios: Ride the back-lots for a behind-the-scenes look at how some of your/their favourite films are made.
3 fun things to do in Los Angeles
- Match hands with the stars at the Hollywood Walk of Fame: Starry eyed fans shouldn't pass up the chance to gaze on the imprints of their favourite film stars that have been set in cement along the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame. Who's hands and feet are your perfect match?
- Eat up at the Farmer's Market: Circa. 1934, the Farmer's Market is an institution and a fun and cheap way to sample the local fare.
- Party along Sunset Strip: The legendary strip is renowned for its Hollywood star-owned and frequented clubs, including The Viper Room and Whisky A Go Go. Be seen.
3 free things to do in Los Angeles
- Hike up to the Hollywood sign: It's an icon of the city, so lace up those boots and leg it up the mountain for the Insta-perfect shot under the famous sign.
- Hit the beach: There are plenty. From Venice to Muscle Beach, they're all pretty spectacular - particularly for people watching.
- Space out in the California Space Center: You'll be forgiven for getting lost inside this massive complex and its fascinating array of interactive exhibits about the living and outer world. It's free to view the permanent displays, though special exhibits may cost extra.
Los Angeles deals
Popular Tourist Attractions & Experiences coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|1 Nov 2020||Up to 75% off Australia activities + an extra 10% off with code||MAD****|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|30 Oct 2020||Sydney: Up to 28% off things to do + Extra 10% off with code||RBF****|
More guides on Finder
Canberra and the ACT travel restrictions: What to do in November 2020
Your complete guide to what you can and can’t do in the ACT this spring.
Best places to visit in Western Australia
Your next trip to the western state is sorted with our complete what-to-do guide.
Best places to visit in South Australia
Discover tourist hotspots like Adelaide and Kangaroo Valley and best kept secrets such as the Yorke Peninsula and Mount Gambier on your next trip around South Australia.
Enjoy flights to Los Angeles from $672 with Qantas’ sale
EXPIRED: This is your chance to visit Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach and Sunset Boulevard.
Flights to Los Angeles are taking off with Air Canada from just $797
EXPIRED: You can't miss out on these cheap-as-chips airfares.
6 of the best eco lodges and accommodations in Victoria
It’s so easy being green when you’ve got plenty of environmentally aware hotels and lodges to choose from in Victoria.
Best Black Friday 2019 flights: Australia, Asia, USA
Flights across Australia from $39 each way, to Asia from $115 each way and to Los Angeles from $899 return.
PrettyLittleThing just dropped its Black Friday sale – get up to 70% off everything
PrettyLittleThing has started Black Friday early and we've got the lowdown on the pieces you need to get your hands on.
Black Friday sightseeing and activities deals for 2020
Book that bucket list experience or the activities for your next holiday for less with the Black Friday and Cyber Weekend offers.
The very best travel deals to scoop up in Click Frenzy™ 2019
Save up to 55% off your next travel adventure with one of the biggest Australian sales.
Ask an Expert