Best things to do in Fiji: Diving, firewalking and hiking
Discover the cultural, historical, adventurous and relaxing must-dos when holidaying in Fiji.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Tropical island paradises are a haven of relaxation and adventure and Fiji is no different. Whether you’re the kind who’d prefer to spend your time in the water swimming among the tropical marine life or exploring the land and its history, there’s bound to be something on this must-do Fiji list to suit your travel style.
Top things to do
Diving and snorkelling
Whether you’re diving in the world-famous Great Astrolabe Reef or snorkelling over soft coral reefs water sports are a must in Fiji.
Some of the country's hotspots include Beqa Lagoon (which is easily accessible from the main island of Viti Levu) and Taveuni, which is well known for its soft corals.
If you're an avid diver, consider joining a liveaboard trip or booking into a dive resort for a few days while in Fiji.
Hiking the national parks
Fiji has six national parks each offering a different experience.
For example, Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park has over 6 kilometres of sand dunes to comb, Bouma National Park on the island of Taveuni has waterfall, coastal and rainforest hikes and the Nausori Highlands of Viti Levu boasts incredible views of the Yasawa and Mamanuca islands.
Image: Beqa Lagoon Resort
See firewalking in Beqa
Beqa is home to the Sawau tribe, who are known for their tradition of firewalking.
Many resorts, such as Beqa Lagoon Resort, host firewalking demonstrations where warriors skilfully tread over burning embers shouting "O-vulo-vulo".
This popular Polynesian drink that's made from a root of a pepper plant, when had in small doses, is a mild sedative that relaxes you and causes you to feel a bit sleepy. While it's widely consumed in Fiji and other islands, and taking part in a kava ceremony is a tradition, there are restrictions about kava in Australia and other countries like the UK.
Visit Navala Village
Culture vultures can visit this picturesque village in the highlands of Levu Island.
It’s home to over 200 handicraft bures and is great for a day trip with a difference.
See the old capital
For something a little different, spend a day in Levuka.
Located on Ovalau Island, it’s the former capital of Fiji and is not heavily touristic.
Marvel at the Sri Siva Subramaniya Swami Temple
Around a third of Fiji’s population is Indo-Fijian, that is, Fijians of Indian descent.
Hindu temples are rife on the islands and are a stunning display of colour amidst the blues and greens.
Sri Siva Subramaniya temple is the largest Hindu temple in the southern hemisphere and you can get there easily from Nadi.
Book a stay in Likuliku Lagoon's overwater bungalow
Okay, so this one's not quite an activity or attraction, but it's definitely a must-do. These are Fiji’s only overwater huts and are absolutely brilliant for that couples getaway… or to pop the question (hint-hint).
Smell the flowers in the Garden of the Sleeping Giant
Created by the late actor Raymond Burr, this is a tranquil sanctuary of orchids and lily ponds just outside of Nadi.
You’ll find multiple tours head out this way to marvel at the beauty of this garden and to explore the nearby mud baths and spas. Well, this trip was meant to be a relaxing one, right?
Image: Turtle Island Fiji
Find a room for two on Turtle Island
Turtle Island is home to a couples-only private resort. It’s also where the movie Blue Lagoon was filmed.
A-listers frequent the spot and with your own private bure and "bure mama" to cater to your every whim and fancy, you’ll be living the celebrity life in no time.
Best events to attend in the year:
- Hibiscus Festival. Established circa 1956, the Hibiscus Festival is the oldest charity festival on the islands and culminates in a beauty pageant where the Hibiscus Queen is crowned. Other activities include amusement park rides, live music and market stalls. Viti Levu, August school holidays.
- Bula Festival. This is a week-long celebration that features themed nights, food stalls and amusement park games and rides. Nadi, annually in July.
- South Indian Fire Walking Festival. In this Hindu ritual, devotees dressed in yellow bathe in the sea near Suva Point before having their tongues, cheeks and bodies pierced by three pronged skewers. After having their faces smeared with yellow turmeric, they dance to the Mariamma Temple where they will walk on a bed of hot ash and coals. This is a symbol of their self-sacrifice and devotion to Draupadi Amman. Suva, annually in July or August.
- Lautoka Sugar Festival. Located in the heart of the nation’s sugar cane region, Lautoka is often referred to as Sugar City. Every year it celebrates its sugar trade with a festival of food, games and live performances. It also includes a beauty pageant where men, women, teenagers and kids are crowned Mr Sugar King, Lady Sugar, Miss Sugar Teen and Miss Sugar Princess. Lautoka, annually in September.
- New Year’s Eve. Sitting close to the international dateline, Fiji is one of the first countries to ring in the New Year, so celebrating it here is something quite special. Traditional dance and music, sumptuous dining options and New Year’s Eve cruises are all on the cards. Various locations, 31 December.
Popular Hotels coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|5 Aug 2020||Extra 8% off on hotel bookings||CLP****|
|22 May 2020||Extra 9% off hotel bookings||AUT****|
|27 Oct 2020||Up to 82% off Sydney hotels + Extra 5% off with code||SYD****|
|23 Oct 2020||Up to 13% off domestic getaway packages + an extra 10% off with code||RBF****|
|6 Mar 2020||Extra 8% off hotel bookings||8OF****|
More guides on Finder
Best anti-dandruff shampoo in Australia
These are the 7 best anti-dandruff shampoos available in Australia today.
Best PC speakers in Australia 2020
Does your laptop or desktop PC need more sound? We've found the 7 best PC speakers in Australia for a variety of budgets and purposes.
Best fashion sales of the week: THE ICONIC, ASOS, rebel
Save 25% off summer items at THE ICONIC, take up to 50% off selected styles at ASOS and enjoy up to 40% off clothing at rebel.
Best kitchen knives and chef knives in Australia
These are the 5 top kitchen and chef’s knives available in Australia today.
Best Prime Day deals still available from Amazon US and UK
You can still grab a great Prime Day deal with global offers on OPPO smartphones, Seagate game drives and more.
Best safety razors in Australia
We’ve found the 8 best safety razors and razor blades you can buy online right now.
Best 2-in-1 laptops in Australia
Our expert team spent hundreds of hours testing laptops to find the six best 2-in-1 laptops you can buy.
Best fashion sales of the week: THE ICONIC, Amazon and Bonds
Score 15% off top sellers at THE ICONIC, take up to 40% off a range of fashion brands at Amazon and enjoy up to 70% off at Bonds.
Amazon Prime Day 2020: Best deals from day two
Grab 64% off Just Dance for Nintendo Switch, 50% off New Balance sneakers and up to 44% off WD hard drives.
60+ of the best Amazon Prime Day 2020 deals
Top deals include up to 44% off WD hard drives, up to 30% off B&O speakers and up to 30% off selected Lenovo laptops.
Ask an Expert