These 10 medicines are about to get much cheaper in Australia

Peter Terlato 27 September 2016

Prescription medicines drugs

Medicinal price discounts encourage savings for both consumers and taxpayers alike.

From 1 October, more than 2000 medicines listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) will incur price reductions, saving consumers up to $20 per script and taxpayers $900 million over four years.

The reductions were delivered through the PBS Access and Sustainability Package reforms, which passed Parliament last year.

Australia's minister for health Sussan Ley says more than 80% of price markdowns will result in direct saving for consumers, while the remaining 20% - those priced above the general PBS co-payment of $38.30 – will save taxpayers big bucks.

"These price reductions will save taxpayers $900 million over four years," Ley said.

"The savings from the PBS Access and Sustainability Package are already being used to subsidise breakthrough medicines, like the melanoma treatment Keytruda, which was added to the PBS last year."

Drugs used to combat high blood cholesterol levels, reduce stomach acid, treat pneumonia and stave off bacterial infections are among the most commonly prescribed and purchased medicines in Australia.

The table below shows the 10 biggest savings for non-concessional patients from 1 October 2016.

Consumers can save up to $23 on alendronic acid with colecalciferol/calcium (used to treat osteoporosis and provide additional vitamin D and calcium), up to $13 on cefalotin (antibiotic) and up to $6 on Donepezil (used in the palliative treatment of Alzheimer's disease).

While the cost reductions are significant, savings vary depending on a range of factors such as formulation and strength, brand, the patient's concessional status and any discretionary fees or discounts applied by pharmacies.

For more specific information talk to your pharmacist or search the full list of PBS medicines and brands.

Top 10 biggest savings for non-concessional patients

Drug name$ savings per script% savings per script
Alendronic acid with colecalciferolUp to $23.37Up to 61.02%
Alendronic acid with colecalciferol and calciumUp to $23.37Up to 61.02%
CefalotinUp to $13.27Up to 34.65%
MethotrexateUp to $10.91Up to 28.49%
Fosinopril with hydrochlorothiazideUp to $10.63Up to 35.92%
Enalapril with hydrochlorothiazideUp to $10.06Up to 37.66%
FlucloxacillinUp to $8.29Up to 30.58%
TemozolomideUp to $6.93Up to 22.54%
PioglitazoneUp to $6.72Up to 18.52%
DonepezilUp to $6.60Up to 22.40%
Latest health insurance headlines

Picture: Shutterstock

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question